There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off
USE CODE: MOB20

Plzz help..Its a big doubt..

In nomenclature for aromatic compounds , when do we use "phenyl". Is its C6H5 or any side chain on the ring compound..

Is its for side chain , then if NO2 group is there on the ring , why we write nitrobenzene & not phenylbenzene?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

if from benzene a hydrogen is removed then the compound C6H5 is called phenyl.

but if a group ex. N02 is attached then it is no more a free phenyl, as in place of hydrogen a group is attached (no vacant place). thus it is called differently as nitrobenzene.

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Why +I group increases bascitiy and delocalization of l.p. increases basicity..???

+I groups are those groups which delocalize the electron pair away from itself. Therefore a partial + charge + appears on the group and - on the carbon to which it is attached.Now when a +I ...

Neeti one year ago

absolutely. :) which part was not clear? the delocalization right? see, nitrogen, oxygen, these atoms when in the form of a compound, have lone pairs. they can donate these lone pairs to...

Neeti one year ago

No No, i thought the same but then i thought that you must be talking about the group itself which is showing delocalization and that is also showing basicity. see in case of...

Neeti one year ago
How can convert ethanol to methanol? And stucture and mechanism

CH 3 CH 2 OH + CrO 3 = CH 3 COOH (Ethanol) (Acetic acid) CH 3 COOH + NaOH = CH 3 COONa (Acetic acid) (Sodium acetate) CH 3 COONa + NaOH + CaO = CH 4 + Na 2 CO 3 (Sodium acetate) (Methane)...

Aamina 12 days ago
Please provide me with some mnemonics for organic chemistry so that I can learn some of the difficult reactions easily.

http://www.askiitians.com/iit-jee-chemistry/inorganic-chemistry/periodic-table/tips-to-learn-periodic-table.html
  img
Nishant Vora 21 days ago

@ nilay how can we construct mnemonics for remembering the reaction , i am sorry to say there are no mnemonics avaliable for learning the organic name reaction . what u have to do for that...

Umakant biswal 21 days ago
what is the oxidation state of NO2

+1

sanjay 11 months ago

+1 is the oxidation state of NO 2

BOLLU SRINIVAS 10 months ago

the oxidation state of NO 2 is +1

L GOUSE BASHA 10 months ago
Sir Plss explain me ques no 48. I apologize that previously there was no attachment. Sukanya Bajpai

@ sukanya i will give you the approach to solve this question , rest calculation u have to do , frst of all 1- find concentration of [na+] in each case. that u can do by the following...

Umakant biswal 14 days ago
melting point of dimond?

3927 DEGREES

DURGA PRASAD 10 months ago

3927 is the melting point of diamond....................................................................

G.VENKATESH one month ago

melting point of dimond is 3550 C

BOLLU SRINIVAS 10 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry