Plzz help..Its a big doubt..

In nomenclature for aromatic compounds , when do we use "phenyl". Is its C6H5 or any side chain on the ring compound..

Is its for side chain , then if NO2 group is there on the ring , why we write nitrobenzene & not phenylbenzene?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

if from benzene a hydrogen is removed then the compound C6H5 is called phenyl.

but if a group ex. N02 is attached then it is no more a free phenyl, as in place of hydrogen a group is attached (no vacant place). thus it is called differently as nitrobenzene.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is phase transfer catalyst?

Phase-transfer catalysis is a special form of heterogeneous catalysis.It refers to the acceleration of the reaction upon the addition of the phase-transfer catalyst.A phase-transfer catalyst...
  img
Aarti Gupta 17 days ago
what are aromatic compounds? is this an aromatic compound? CH3-CH2-CH=O

an organic compound that contains one or more benzene ring is called an AROMATIC COMPOUND.well I think aldehyde- CH3-CH2-CH=O is an aromatic compound.

Moxa Alpesh Patel 3 months ago
How to rewise organic chemistry?

its easy.Firs

ANKIT 14 days ago
why atomic radii of iron(Fe) and cobalt(Co) is equal

atomic radii of iron(Fe) and cobalt(Co) is equal :- despite there is an increase number of protons which results in an increased nuclear attraction, the addition of an electron in a 3d...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
hello, even though my chemistry tuition is very good and i understand everything that is being taught there at the time, i have not practiced regularly. now i’m pretty worried about my score...

Hi Student, Dont worry. Be positive . Still lot of time is left to practice for IITJee. Follow the following tips. Chemistry is one such subject which can assure you guaranteed marks in IIT...
  img
Harishwar 2 days ago

HI Student Don’t worry. Still you can work hard and get to your target Take one day and divide the whole syllabus into small packets and assign time and make proper timeline. Make...
  img
Harsh Patodia 2 days ago
The vapour density of a mixture containing NO2 and N2O4 is 38.3 at 300K. The number of moles of NO2 in 100g of the mixture is … ?

The vapor density of a gas is the density of that gas relative to that of hydrogen gas. Therefore, Vapor density = (density of NO2/N2O4 mixture)/ (density of H2 gas) Vapor density = (mass of...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
View all Questions »