Plzz help..Its a big doubt..

In nomenclature for aromatic compounds , when do we use "phenyl". Is its C6H5 or any side chain on the ring compound..

Is its for side chain , then if NO2 group is there on the ring , why we write nitrobenzene & not phenylbenzene?

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

if from benzene a hydrogen is removed then the compound C6H5 is called phenyl.

but if a group ex. N02 is attached then it is no more a free phenyl, as in place of hydrogen a group is attached (no vacant place). thus it is called differently as nitrobenzene.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
The ticked answer is the answer provided by the book. Is the sum of locants rule not violated here? Please expain in detail how this compound is named.

No such rule is violated here. See, for the main compound, we have a cyclohexane ring and all the rest groups are substituents. For numbering, we choose the substituent having max. no of...

Yash Jain 2 months ago

So we don’t even number according to alphabetical order? Is it the same with straight chain compounds?

Ayesha Khan 2 months ago
Q . EXAMINE THE FOLLOWING TWO CANONICAL STRUCTURES AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT STATEMENT FROM THE GIVEN BELOW-( MORE THAN ONE CORRECT) (1) IS MORE STABLE THAN TWO (2) IS MORE STABLE THAN (1) (1)...

More the number of pi-bond, more is the stability and hence (2) is more stable (so having less energy than (1)) canonical structure and contribute more in resonating structure....
  img
Naveen Kumar 2 months ago

i request you to please help me in other questions that r posted....thanks

bharat makkar 2 months ago
compare the stability of the following compounds, (i) (a) ph-ch2(free radical) (b)(ch3)3c(free radical) (c)ch3-ch(free radical)-ch3 (d)ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) (ii)(a) ch2=ch(free radical)...

ch2=ch-ch2(free radical) is an allyl i mistook it for vinyl. allyls are more reactive than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyls are less reactive. ch2=ch(free radical) is a...

sufi digital 2 months ago

actually i meant allyls are more stable than primary secondary and tertiary radicals and vinyl is less stable. allyls are stabalised by resonance but vinyls are not. by mistake i wrote...

sufi digital 2 months ago

and for the second question,answer is ph-ch2(free radical)> ch3-ch2(free radical)>ch2=ch(free radical)>ph(free radical)> ch(triple bond)c(free radical)

vineet chatterjee 2 months ago
Explain the structure and stability of chlorides of group iV- A elements

Group IV elements form tetrahalides of the type MX 4, except PbI 4 .These halides are typically covalent,tetrahedral in structure and are very volatile.Carbon forms carbon tetrachloride(CCl...
  img
Aarti Gupta 4 months ago
Coordination no. Shown by cyclobutadiene???? Pls answr......

The salt [K([18]crown-6){Cp*Fe(η4-C4py4)}] (K1, py = 2-pyridyl, Cp* = C5Me5) is accessible by the reaction of an iron(0) naphthalene precursor and bis(2-pyridyl)acetylene. Cyclic...
  img
Suraj Prasad 4 months ago
A binary solid A+B- has a ZnS structure with B- ions constituting the lattice and A + ions occupying 25% tetrahedral holes.Formula of the solid is.?

No.of B- ions= 4 (Corners+ face centres) No.of A+ ions= 1 (total there are 4 tetrahedral holes but in which only 25% is occupied i.e. only one void is occupied ) formula of solid= AB4
  img
Ramreddy 2 months ago

ans is AB2.

Shriya Mehrotra 2 months ago
View all Questions »