ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

hydrogen has three isotopes: Protium ( 1 proton) , Deuterium ( 1 proton and 1 neutron), and tritium (1 proton and 2 neutrons).

which of these isotopes is most electronegative and why?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear Janani,

Protium would have the highest electronegativity value followed by Deutrium & then finally tritium ..

The electronegativity decreases in the order..

Protium(1H1)>Deutrium(1H2)>Tritium(1H3)

This is because electronegativity is the tendency to attract the shared pair of electrons towards a particular atom..Now for Protium(1H1) it has one proton(+ve charged) & so it could attract the electrons effectively towards itself but in deutrium there is an added neutral charge in the form of a neutron which increases the size thus reduces the electronegativity tendency of the deutrium atom & similarly for tritium..!!

If you still have any doubts then please ask them all so as to clarify them..!!

If you loved the answer then please do not forget to approve it by clicking on "Yes" below..!!

3 years ago

as we increase the no. of electrons in s orbital, we have a strong shielding from s orbital..... so net effective charge on the adjacent atom's electrons decreses....hence its electronegativity decreses.....

Thus, Protium has largest electro-vetivity...... Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Q . EXAMINE THE FOLLOWING TWO CANONICAL STRUCTURES AND CHOOSE THE CORRECT STATEMENT FROM THE GIVEN BELOW-( MORE THAN ONE CORRECT) (1) IS MORE STABLE THAN TWO (2) IS MORE STABLE THAN (1) (1)...

More the number of pi-bond, more is the stability and hence (2) is more stable (so having less energy than (1)) canonical structure and contribute more in resonating structure....
  img
Naveen Kumar 5 months ago

i request you to please help me in other questions that r posted....thanks

Bharat Makkar 5 months ago
Which name is correct and why- 2-Bromo-5-hydroxybenzonitrile 6-Bromo-3-hydroxybenzonitrile

Dear student although you haven’t post the organic compound whose IUPAC name you are asking but i think 2-Bromo-5-hydroxybenzonitrile must be its correct name.This is because -CN group...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

Dear student functional group is -CN here, so we are naming the compound as nitrile,but both the -OH and -Br behave as the substituent and in naming hydroxy and bromo,bromo wil comes...
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

yes but why does bromo come first over hydroxy? I mean Br is a substituent and OH is a functional grp right? so shouldnt OH got priority over Br?

Satviki Pathak 2 months ago
Why are tertiary alcohol more reactive to haloacids than secondary and primary

Dear student the order of stability of carbocation is – tertiary > secondary > primary This is due to the fact that greater the number of alkyl gorups on the carbon carrying +ive...
  img
Aarti Gupta 8 days ago

Dear student inductive effect is of two types- 1) --I effect which is also known as e- withdrawing effect and 2).+I effct which is also known as e- releasing effect. Alkyl groups show +I...
  img
Aarti Gupta 12 days ago

Alcohols are the class of organic compounds which have -OH as the functional group. Reaction of alcohols with haloacids like HCl,HBr and HI involves the cleavage of C--OH bond of...
  img
Aarti Gupta 13 days ago
How to remember p block reactions

if u know how to balance reaction then just remember the products as many of the reactions have common products

2015 years ago

it is very important chapter in both jeee main and advance u start with ncert by reading the text and marking the important points and do intext as well as back questions then have a look on...

-2 minutes ago
the no of octahedral sites per sphere in fcc structure. is

For FCC, Z = 4 Number of octahedral voids = Number of atoms per unit cell = z = 4
  img
Pankaj 6 days ago

img
Pankaj 6 days ago
what is le chatelier's principle??? Explain in brief..

Le Châtelier'sprinciple states that if a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium shifts to counteract the change to reestablish an...
  img
Raheema Javed 5 months ago

A statement of Le Chatelier's Principle If a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium moves to counteract the change. Using Le...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 8 months ago
View all Questions »