hydrogen has three isotopes: Protium ( 1 proton) , Deuterium ( 1 proton and 1 neutron), and tritium (1 proton and 2 neutrons).

which of these isotopes is most electronegative and why?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear Janani,

Protium would have the highest electronegativity value followed by Deutrium & then finally tritium ..

The electronegativity decreases in the order..

Protium(1H1)>Deutrium(1H2)>Tritium(1H3)

This is because electronegativity is the tendency to attract the shared pair of electrons towards a particular atom..Now for Protium(1H1) it has one proton(+ve charged) & so it could attract the electrons effectively towards itself but in deutrium there is an added neutral charge in the form of a neutron which increases the size thus reduces the electronegativity tendency of the deutrium atom & similarly for tritium..!!

If you still have any doubts then please ask them all so as to clarify them..!!

If you loved the answer then please do not forget to approve it by clicking on "Yes" below..!!

3 years ago

as we increase the no. of electrons in s orbital, we have a strong shielding from s orbital..... so net effective charge on the adjacent atom's electrons decreses....hence its electronegativity decreses.....

Thus, Protium has largest electro-vetivity...... Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
**WHY DO SOME COVALENT COMPOUNDS EXIST IN ALL THREE STATES(Br2,Cl2)?

Not only covalent compounds but all compounds exist in all three states(Solid,liquid and gas) depending on temperature and pressure. At higher temperatues and higher pressures substances...
  img
Ramreddy 11 days ago
hyperconjugation occurs in: please expain the answer

thanks for the reply,but the answer is C.

HARSHIT SHARMA one month ago

arey koi reply kar do

HARSHIT SHARMA 28 days ago

Hyperconjugation makes the carbocations more stabilized than when hyperconjugation occurs with radicals (not so stable). This is explained due to the fact that in carbocations, both...

Indranil Roy one month ago
*Can anybody pls tell me the mechanism for this reaction?? #Attachment * also tell me whether picric acid or mentioned product which will be major??? * u can also mention some source where i...

the mechanism for this ketonic product will be the oxidation of OH group to keto group and when it will be passed by water then two keto group will remain and thus you will get this product....
  img
Suraj Prasad 8 days ago
the number of unit cells in 58.5 g of NaCl is approximately?

NaCl ( rock salt ) structure: no. of edge center atoms = 12(edges) x 1/4 (each edges shared by 4 units) =3 no. of body centred atoms = 1( center position) x 1 ( single atom present) = 1 no...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
A and B are two different chemical species undergoing first order decomposition with rate constants ka and kb which are in the ratio 3:2 in magnitude.If the initial concentration of A and B...

suppose the half live of A be 20 years and that of B be 30 years after 3 half live of A concentration of A be A/8 and timr taken is 60 years after 30 years concentration of B will be B/2 and...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago

thank you sir.please answer my two pending doubts which are from same chapter,that is chemical kinetics.

bharat makkar 2 months ago
I have a doubt regarding the general outermost electronic configuration of f block elements. Why is it (n-2)f^(1-14)(n-1)d^(0-1)ns^2. The only exception i thought to this formula was thorium...

The general electronic configuration of the f-block elements is given as :- (n-2) f1-14, (n-1) s2 (n-1) p6 (n-1 ) d10, ns2. The General electronic configuration of Lanthanides is [Xe]...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 11 days ago
View all Questions »