hydrogen has three isotopes: Protium ( 1 proton) , Deuterium ( 1 proton and 1 neutron), and tritium (1 proton and 2 neutrons).

which of these isotopes is most electronegative and why?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear Janani,

Protium would have the highest electronegativity value followed by Deutrium & then finally tritium ..

The electronegativity decreases in the order..

Protium(1H1)>Deutrium(1H2)>Tritium(1H3)

This is because electronegativity is the tendency to attract the shared pair of electrons towards a particular atom..Now for Protium(1H1) it has one proton(+ve charged) & so it could attract the electrons effectively towards itself but in deutrium there is an added neutral charge in the form of a neutron which increases the size thus reduces the electronegativity tendency of the deutrium atom & similarly for tritium..!!

If you still have any doubts then please ask them all so as to clarify them..!!

If you loved the answer then please do not forget to approve it by clicking on "Yes" below..!!

3 years ago

as we increase the no. of electrons in s orbital, we have a strong shielding from s orbital..... so net effective charge on the adjacent atom's electrons decreses....hence its electronegativity decreses.....

Thus, Protium has largest electro-vetivity...... Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
what is meant by carbogen

Carbogen is a mixture of CO2 and Oxygen gas from 1.5% to 50% CO 2

Akhil Satheesh 3 months ago
Main article: IUPAC nomenclature of organic chemistry Various names and depictions for one organic compound.

Hello student. I am not able to interpret your questions. If you are asking about that why there are different names for same compound in chemistry the answer is, there are two systems of...
  img
Pankaj 2 months ago
The number of isomers for the compound with molecular formula C2BrClFl is : (a) 3 (b) 4 (c) 5 (d) 6

There will be 6 isomers possible for this formula. take two halogens on any one of doubly bonded carbon and u would have three possible combination. For each of this three structure each one...
  img
Naveen Kumar 14 days ago
Explain band spectrum?

you can assume it like fingerprints of any person. For every element you can have band spectrum. The transition spectrum patten is unique for every element. By transition i mean the...
  img
Suraj Prasad 9 days ago

Spectral bands are part of optical spectra of polyatomic systems, including condensed materials, large molecules, etc. Each line corresponds to one level in the atom splits in the molecules....
  img
Suraj Prasad 10 days ago

Wikipedia is good .Can you explain in your own words in short ?

Vineeth 9 days ago
SIR CAN I KNOW WHICH BOOK IS BEST FOR INORGANIC CHEMISTRY FOR JEE(MAIN & ADVANCED)? IS J.D LEE OR OP TANDON GOOD ENOUGH?

for inorganic chemistry you can refer balaji publications inorganic chemistry book

kasula vineeth 3 months ago
HELP!!!! Please guide me how to study Periodic Classification Elements. Is it really important for Chemical Bonding? And also Do i need to cram it all up( Periodic Classification)? If yes...

yes the book you are having is very good.let me tell you chaemical bonding ,periodic table, forms the most imp part of chemistry so you shouls have a very strong command over it. only way...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
View all Questions »