ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

hydrogen has three isotopes: Protium ( 1 proton) , Deuterium ( 1 proton and 1 neutron), and tritium (1 proton and 2 neutrons).

which of these isotopes is most electronegative and why?

3 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear Janani,

Protium would have the highest electronegativity value followed by Deutrium & then finally tritium ..

The electronegativity decreases in the order..

Protium(1H1)>Deutrium(1H2)>Tritium(1H3)

This is because electronegativity is the tendency to attract the shared pair of electrons towards a particular atom..Now for Protium(1H1) it has one proton(+ve charged) & so it could attract the electrons effectively towards itself but in deutrium there is an added neutral charge in the form of a neutron which increases the size thus reduces the electronegativity tendency of the deutrium atom & similarly for tritium..!!

If you still have any doubts then please ask them all so as to clarify them..!!

If you loved the answer then please do not forget to approve it by clicking on "Yes" below..!!

3 years ago

as we increase the no. of electrons in s orbital, we have a strong shielding from s orbital..... so net effective charge on the adjacent atom's electrons decreses....hence its electronegativity decreses.....

Thus, Protium has largest electro-vetivity...... Smile

3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
How to draw resonance structure for p- hydroxybenzoic acid and m- hydroxybenzoic acid?

Go through the following Resonance structure of Benzoic acid and draw a similar analysis when hydroxy group is added to the Benzoic acid
  img
Harishwar 6 months ago
Convert froctose to osazone.

Hello Student
  img
Gaurav 20 days ago

fructose+3equivNHNH 2 C 6 H 5 =osazone

manasa gorthy 20 days ago
how to find molarity?

molarity is the concentration of a solution given in gram moles of solute per liter of solution. It is defined as the number of moles of solute per unit volume of solution, i.e. -...

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya 6 months ago

it is molarity (M) = moles solute/litres solution

Saloni gordhan Rakholiya 6 months ago
i want a website from where i can downlaod Concise Inorganic Chemistry 5 th Edition By J.D.lee...

Hi student, You can but e-book copy from any ecommerce site. ITs available on Amazon. Thanks....
  img
Nishant Vora 4 months ago

sir i have tried lot of websites... but thanku for your attention

Rashmi Rai 4 months ago
In the reaction 2ClF3=Cl2+3F2, if there is increase in volume of container, pressure exerted would be low so why shift from RHS does not take place as number of moles on RHS is more ?? and...

dear friend you have missed one thing this is an exmaple of endothermic reaction so on increasibg the volume of the container the temperature will decrease hence the reaction will favour...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago
View all Questions »