Get extra R 500 off

Explain the following terms:

• Principal quantum number

• Azimuthal quantum number

• Magnetic quantum number

• Spin quantum number

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Quantum numbers describe the position of specific electrons on the energy level diagram. Quantum numbers are of four types;-

Principal quantum number

This number represents the name, size and energy of the shell to which the electron belongs. Different values of n mean different energy levels.

The value of ‘n’ lies between 1 to ∞.

Value of n           =          1   2  3  4  5  6

Shell                    =          K  L  M  N  O  P

• As higher the value of ‘n’ greater is the distance of the shell from the nucleus.

• Higher the value of ‘n’ greater is the value of energy.

• The maximum number of e- possible in a level is 2n2

Azimuthal Quantum number

It describes the spatial arrangement of electron cloud and angular momentum. It also gives the name of the subshell associated with the main shell.

It  is denoted by ‘l’and its values lies between 0,1,2,...(n-1). Different values of l mean diff sublevels. In a sublevel all the e- have nearly the same energy. Within any level, the lowest energy sublevel is s, then p, then d, then f.

l = 0           s - subshell     l = 3  f - subshell

l = 1            p – subshell   l = 4  g - subshell

l = 2           d – subshell

Magnetic Quantum Number

This quantum number is designated by the symbol ‘m’. It describes the orientation of electron cloud. For each value of ‘l’ the magnetic quantum number ‘m’  have integral values from –l to +l including zero i.e., total of 2l+1

For l = 0  m = 0

if l = 1 (p orbital), m= -1, 0, 1

if l = 2 (d orbital) m = -2, -1, 0, 1, 2

one orientation corresponds to one orbital thus for l=1 there is 3 orientations which are designed as px,py,pz.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Why para dihydroxy benzene does not have zero dipole moment while para xylene has. Both r electron donating towards benzene ring.
@ dattatray the dipole moment of para dimethoxybenzene is not 0 beacuse it exist in two forms , cis and trans forms . out of which trans have 0 dipole moment beacuse it is a symmetrical...
Umakant biswal 29 days ago
dear umakant Sir thanks for inputs. However not much clear and my question still remains same - as per book paradimethyl benzene (p-xylene) has zero dipole moment while, paradihydroxy...
Dattatray Biradar 29 days ago
how no. of pie bonds will effect heat of hydrogenation ? is it inceases with their number & what is i’s significance?
Heat of Hydrogenation is Heat of hydrogenation is inversely proportional the stability of alkenes. and directly proportional to the number of pi bonds. And all H2 addition is the syn....
Vikas TU one month ago
Functions of various reagents used in organic chemistry problems.
Sir, actually at present i am solving class 12th "haloalkanes, and haloarenes". so i need the list of reagents and their functions from this chapter. But as i would further solve the next...
Apar 17 days ago
@ apar there are a lot of reagents are avaliable as far as the whole organic chemistry are concerned . so, kindly tell me of which chapter u need the list of reagents . so, that i can...
Umakant biswal 20 days ago
Can u give any trick for identified metals and non metals
@ amresh metal and non metals can be easily identified in a reaction . metals have a tendency to accept the electrons generally , but non metal lacks that . metals are sonorous , ductile...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
metals are bright ie losturous ,ductile,sonorus,good conductor of heat and electricityand able to donate electron to become cation.while non-metals are non lustrous,non ductile,non...
ankit saurav 9 days ago
Sir please tell me that what is henry`s rule nd how can I use it numerical question ?????????That`s I can get a secure answer???????And what is the value of Henry`s constant????
."water takes up, of gas condensed by one, two, or more additional atmospheres, a quantity which, ordinarily compressed, would be equal to twice, thrice, &c. the volume absorbed under the...
rahul kushwaha 23 days ago
@ rahul At a constant temperature, the amount of a given gas that dissolves in a given type and volume of liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in equilibrium...
Umakant biswal 23 days ago
how to memorize the qualitative analysis reactions. Need specifically in ENGLISH!
@ ashwin i am sorry , there is no shortcut for remembering the reactions in chemistry . so, what u have to do is make a chart and just remember the oxidising and reducing agent , then u can ...
Umakant biswal 18 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn