please explain geometrical isomerisam in in alkenes with diagram for easily understandig

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Geometrical isomerism is a kind of stereoisomerism. The isomerism due to the difference in spatial arrangements of groups about the doubly bonded carbon atoms is known as Geometrical Isomerism.

For e.g., consider the structure of 2-butene.

Space Models

Space Models of 2-Butenes

fig.12.1 - Space Models of 2-Butenes

Note that the atoms are arranged in two different ways in I and II. The two CH3 groups lie on the same side in I and on the opposite sides in II. When two similar atoms or groups lie on the same side, the isomerism is called cis isomerism and the isomers are called cis isomers (cis means "on same side" in Latin). When two similar atoms or groups lie on opposite sides, the isomerism is called trans isomerism and the isomers are called trans isomers (trans means "across" in Latin). Geometrical isomerism is also called Cis-trans isomerism.

The carbon-carbon double bond in 2-butene consists of one sigma bond and one pie bond. The pie bond is formed by the lateral overlapping of p orbitals that lie above and below the sigma orbital plane. To pass from the cis form to the trans form, the molecule must be twisted so that the p orbitals don't overlap any more and the pie bond is broken. To break this pie bond, around 167.2KJ of energy is required. Therefore the conversion from one geometric isomer to another is very rare in 2-butene.

Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

fig.12.2 - Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

Similarly, maleic and fumaric acids exhibit geometric isomerism or they are geometric isomers.

maleic acid and fumaric acid are geometric isomers
3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
The toxic environmental pollutant dioxin is 44.8% carbon, 1.25% hydrogen and 44.0% chlorine. Its molecular weight is 320±10 What is the molecular formula of dioxin? A) C 10 H 8 O 4 Cl...

yes please tell me full solution for this
  img
Deepak Patra 6 months ago

C12H4O2Cl4 if u need full solution plz let me know....

Shiv 6 months ago
How to convert ethanol to methanol?

CH3-OH + HBr ------> CH3Br + H2O The next step requires a Gilman reagent, specifically (CH3)2Cu-Li+. Gilman reagents add chains to other molecules. CH3BR + (CH3)2Cu-Li+ ------> CH3-CH3...
  img
Sher Mohammad 11 days ago
What is mesomeric effect? +M and -M?

What is a mesomeric effect? "Mesomeric effect" is just a synonym for "resonance effect". If electron density at a particular point in a molecule is higher or lower than what you'd expect...
  img
Rinkoo Gupta 2 months ago

Mesomeric effect or Resonance effect is defined as the ‘polarity produced in the molecule by the interaction of two p-bonds or between a p-bond and lone pair of electrons present on an...

Indu 2 months ago

So practically there is no difference in mesomeric effect and resonance?

Drake 2 months ago
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE Which one of the following statements for order of reaction is not correct? a) Order can be determined experimentally b) Order of reaction is...

d) Order cannot be fractional. Exp: Order of a reaction can be fractional. Rests of all are true. Order of a reaction can be determined experimentally.
  img
Deepak Patra 8 months ago

d) is not correct as order is experimentally determined and can be zero, fractional , negative . It is the molecularity which can''t be factional , negative .

sarim khan 8 months ago

d) Order cannot be fractional. is not correct for Order Of Reaction

kiran kumar 8 months ago
Sir please help me balance this equation- Cr(oh)3+IO3^-1-------->I-+CrO4^2-(in basic medium) by ion electron method. Sir it is written in my book to first balance all the atoms other that o...

Cr(OH)3(s) +IO3(-)(aq) -->CrO4(-2)(aq) + I(-)(aq) remember in basic medium firstbalancing of oxidation number then balancing of O atom.Balancing of O atom is made by using H2O and OH-...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 days ago
Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE The rate of a reaction does not depend upon a) Temperature b) Concentration c) Catalyst d) None of these

d) None of these. Exp: Rate of reaction depends upon all the three factor i.e, temperature, concentration and catalyst. As the concentration of reactants increases, the reaction rate...

Hrishant Goswami 8 months ago

the correct answer is d.none of this above ,because usually rate of reaction depends on temp.,conc.,catalyst.

hanuman balagoni 8 months ago

D.

ANIL 8 months ago
View all Questions »