Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

please explain geometrical isomerisam in in alkenes with diagram for easily understandig

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Geometrical isomerism is a kind of stereoisomerism. The isomerism due to the difference in spatial arrangements of groups about the doubly bonded carbon atoms is known as Geometrical Isomerism.

For e.g., consider the structure of 2-butene.

Space Models

Space Models of 2-Butenes

fig.12.1 - Space Models of 2-Butenes

Note that the atoms are arranged in two different ways in I and II. The two CH3 groups lie on the same side in I and on the opposite sides in II. When two similar atoms or groups lie on the same side, the isomerism is called cis isomerism and the isomers are called cis isomers (cis means "on same side" in Latin). When two similar atoms or groups lie on opposite sides, the isomerism is called trans isomerism and the isomers are called trans isomers (trans means "across" in Latin). Geometrical isomerism is also called Cis-trans isomerism.

The carbon-carbon double bond in 2-butene consists of one sigma bond and one pie bond. The pie bond is formed by the lateral overlapping of p orbitals that lie above and below the sigma orbital plane. To pass from the cis form to the trans form, the molecule must be twisted so that the p orbitals don't overlap any more and the pie bond is broken. To break this pie bond, around 167.2KJ of energy is required. Therefore the conversion from one geometric isomer to another is very rare in 2-butene.

Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

fig.12.2 - Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

Similarly, maleic and fumaric acids exhibit geometric isomerism or they are geometric isomers.

maleic acid and fumaric acid are geometric isomers
5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

I have the honour to state that I have faced some problem with those question below: 1.which compound dissolves in water:alkene,alkyne,alkane,benzene. 2.why C 6 H 5 OH is more acidic than...
@ emon i am answering the 2 nd part of your question . c6h5oh is more acidic due to resonance stabilised phenoxide ion . on the other hand in the case of ch3oh neither ethanol nor ethoxide...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Calculate the wavelength of an electron moving with a velocity of 2.05×10^7ms-1
@ joana i am telling which formula u have to use here , and rest of the calculation part u have to do . this question can be solved by the besic formula of de broglie wavelength for an...
what happen in gas convert into liquid when we compress
@ kuldeep i am not getting your query , kindly be specific , when we will compress the gas , then the particles that are there in the gas will come closer with each other and we can...
Metal hydride non metal hydride acidic or basic metal oxide nonmetal oxide acidic or basic?
Metal hydride is basic since it produces H - ion as metal are more electopositive than Hydrogen,while non-metal hydride is acidic since it produces H + ion asnon- metal are less...
Pranav Dabhade 10 days ago
Molecular orbial is same as hybrid orbital? I mean both are same thing na
Can u plz elaborate it for me. Both the cases orbital are combinining so why r the diiffeten what is basic differebce
Mayank kumar one month ago
@ mayank No , they are not at all same , the hybrid orbitals are formed by hybridisation of various atomic orbital which are close in energy . but molecular orbital are formed due to just...
What is the oxidation state of Cl in the compound HOCl
@ prashant The oxidation number of Cl is always -1 when it's not in diatomic form (Cl2). so, here also the oxidation number is -1 in the case of cl . this compound , oxidation number...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
The Oxidation Number of Cl in HOCl is +1. It can be calculated as below: Total Charge on Molecule is Zero(0). Therefore, 0 = + 1 (for Hydrogen) – 2 (for Oxygen) ​+ X (for Chlorine) 0 = – ​1 ...
Bhasker Goel 3 months ago
Oxygen being more electronegative than Cl, oxygen retains its oxidation stat of -2. So, it mans that Chlorine will have an oxidation state of +1 in this compound.
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift