ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

please explain geometrical isomerisam in in alkenes with diagram for easily understandig

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Geometrical isomerism is a kind of stereoisomerism. The isomerism due to the difference in spatial arrangements of groups about the doubly bonded carbon atoms is known as Geometrical Isomerism.

For e.g., consider the structure of 2-butene.

Space Models

Space Models of 2-Butenes

fig.12.1 - Space Models of 2-Butenes

Note that the atoms are arranged in two different ways in I and II. The two CH3 groups lie on the same side in I and on the opposite sides in II. When two similar atoms or groups lie on the same side, the isomerism is called cis isomerism and the isomers are called cis isomers (cis means "on same side" in Latin). When two similar atoms or groups lie on opposite sides, the isomerism is called trans isomerism and the isomers are called trans isomers (trans means "across" in Latin). Geometrical isomerism is also called Cis-trans isomerism.

The carbon-carbon double bond in 2-butene consists of one sigma bond and one pie bond. The pie bond is formed by the lateral overlapping of p orbitals that lie above and below the sigma orbital plane. To pass from the cis form to the trans form, the molecule must be twisted so that the p orbitals don't overlap any more and the pie bond is broken. To break this pie bond, around 167.2KJ of energy is required. Therefore the conversion from one geometric isomer to another is very rare in 2-butene.

Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

fig.12.2 - Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

Similarly, maleic and fumaric acids exhibit geometric isomerism or they are geometric isomers.

maleic acid and fumaric acid are geometric isomers
4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
carbon

which would be the perfect book for the prepraion of organic chemistry only 1

sn sanyal is best for reactions , reagents and mechanisms and for doing questions if u required then i will reccomend u HIMANSHU PANDEY these are best books and contains aall imp of organic ...

ng29 one month ago

ms chouhan

grenade one month ago

O P tandon organic chemistry

Sahil Sawant one month ago
need a little explanation of options...

alkene gives syn addition with alkaline KMnO 4 (bayer reagent) OsO 4 BH 3​ ​ ALKENE gives anti addition with Br 2 HCOOOH​ and remember this C A R rule if cis is given and anti reaction...

ng29 one month ago

it gives syn addition and thus the product formed is Glycol since in the first option you get the correct anser because syn additionin this case will form erythreo (A) in the racemic diol...

grenade one month ago

is the explaination quite helpful to you

grenade one month ago
Does acetyl chloride give iodoform test?and why?

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 6 months ago

YES and NO.In some questions if heat is given then Qc is favouring forward reactions and reaction proceeds.

dev 6 months ago
trisilyamine formula and properties why it is weakly basic

NSi 3 H 9 is the formula i think after receiving the H plus ions it would have been more unstable

grenade one month ago

can you provide me the real proof

Gman Namg one month ago
a gaseous reaction, A2(g) =B(g) + 1/2C(g) shows increase in pressure from 100 mm to 120 mm in 5 min.The rate of disaapearnce of A2.?

Given the reaction is ..................................A2(g) …..............=......B(g)...... +....... 1/2C(g)...
  img
Naveen Kumar 8 months ago

sir but the ans is 8 mm/min.

Shriya Mehrotra 8 months ago

yes sir got it..thanks..

Shriya Mehrotra 8 months ago
What is an emulsion?

These are liquid-liquid colloidal systems, i.e., the dispersion of finely divided droplets in another liquid. If a mixture of two immiscible or partially miscible liquids is shaken, a...

Nicho priyatham 23 days ago

3 Emulsion is a colloid in which the dispersed phase and dispersion medium areliquids. If a mixture of two immiscible or partially miscible liquids is shaken, a coarsedispersion of one...

grenade 22 days ago

When 2 liquilds are mixed it is called emulsion.eg:- Paint

Himalaya Pramanick 23 days ago
View all Questions »