ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

please explain geometrical isomerisam in in alkenes with diagram for easily understandig

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Geometrical isomerism is a kind of stereoisomerism. The isomerism due to the difference in spatial arrangements of groups about the doubly bonded carbon atoms is known as Geometrical Isomerism.

For e.g., consider the structure of 2-butene.

Space Models

Space Models of 2-Butenes

fig.12.1 - Space Models of 2-Butenes

Note that the atoms are arranged in two different ways in I and II. The two CH3 groups lie on the same side in I and on the opposite sides in II. When two similar atoms or groups lie on the same side, the isomerism is called cis isomerism and the isomers are called cis isomers (cis means "on same side" in Latin). When two similar atoms or groups lie on opposite sides, the isomerism is called trans isomerism and the isomers are called trans isomers (trans means "across" in Latin). Geometrical isomerism is also called Cis-trans isomerism.

The carbon-carbon double bond in 2-butene consists of one sigma bond and one pie bond. The pie bond is formed by the lateral overlapping of p orbitals that lie above and below the sigma orbital plane. To pass from the cis form to the trans form, the molecule must be twisted so that the p orbitals don't overlap any more and the pie bond is broken. To break this pie bond, around 167.2KJ of energy is required. Therefore the conversion from one geometric isomer to another is very rare in 2-butene.

Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

fig.12.2 - Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

Similarly, maleic and fumaric acids exhibit geometric isomerism or they are geometric isomers.

maleic acid and fumaric acid are geometric isomers
4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
which has greater -i power -OR or -OH

OH has greater -i power.Beacuse the R group has the ability to donate electron.It has electron pulling tendendency Relative inductive effects have been experimentally measured with reference...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago

in compounds like ROR and ROH ,we know bond angle of ROR >ROH which implies that % of s character on ROR’s oxygen is more that ROH’s oxygen ,so EN value of oxygen is more in ether than...

shubham one month ago
what should i refer ,o p tandon or ranjeet shahi ?,if i need theory as well as ques at the same time

If you need theory then follow o.p.tandon or if you want to questions then follow ranjeet shahi. But it is better to follow o p tandon for both theory as well as questions....
  img
Ramreddy 5 months ago

thank you sir

sunath khadikar 5 months ago
8 g sample of KMnO4 is reacted in acidic medium with 100 ml of 10 volume H2O2.The % purity of KMnO4 sample is.?

KMnO4....+H2O2.....................>O2..+H 2 O......+Mn2+..............(i)..(Unbalenced form) 10 volume H2O2means that If 1 litre of H2O2 solution is taken tgen it will liberate 10 litre...
  img
Naveen Kumar 4 months ago

Dear Student, this method seems to be lengthy but it was for your understanding the basic concepts, not simply for the solving question; as your question require all the given in formation...
  img
Naveen Kumar 3 months ago

sir,is there any other method as well.?

Shriya Mehrotra 4 months ago
​Q . IF THE DIPOLE MOMENT OF OH- BOND IN WATER IS 1.5 D AND THE BOND ANGLE H-O-H IS 104 0 20 ’ . CALCULATE THE DIPOLE MOMENT OF WATER MOLECULE( COS 104 0 20 ’ = -0.2476).

The bond angle between two OH=104deg20min The resulatant dipole moment is avector quantity H2o is a molecule having two OH bond in a molecule.Thus the resultant dipole moment is sqrt (u1^2...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago
what is le chatelier's principle??? Explain in brief..

Le Châtelier'sprinciple states that if a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium shifts to counteract the change to reestablish an...
  img
Raheema Javed 3 months ago

A statement of Le Chatelier's Principle If a dynamic equilibrium is disturbed by changing the conditions, the position of equilibrium moves to counteract the change. Using Le...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 6 months ago
View all Questions »