DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu

please explain geometrical isomerisam in in alkenes with diagram for easily understandig

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Geometrical isomerism is a kind of stereoisomerism. The isomerism due to the difference in spatial arrangements of groups about the doubly bonded carbon atoms is known as Geometrical Isomerism.

For e.g., consider the structure of 2-butene.

Space Models

Space Models of 2-Butenes

fig.12.1 - Space Models of 2-Butenes

Note that the atoms are arranged in two different ways in I and II. The two CH3 groups lie on the same side in I and on the opposite sides in II. When two similar atoms or groups lie on the same side, the isomerism is called cis isomerism and the isomers are called cis isomers (cis means "on same side" in Latin). When two similar atoms or groups lie on opposite sides, the isomerism is called trans isomerism and the isomers are called trans isomers (trans means "across" in Latin). Geometrical isomerism is also called Cis-trans isomerism.

The carbon-carbon double bond in 2-butene consists of one sigma bond and one pie bond. The pie bond is formed by the lateral overlapping of p orbitals that lie above and below the sigma orbital plane. To pass from the cis form to the trans form, the molecule must be twisted so that the p orbitals don't overlap any more and the pie bond is broken. To break this pie bond, around 167.2KJ of energy is required. Therefore the conversion from one geometric isomer to another is very rare in 2-butene.

Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

fig.12.2 - Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

Similarly, maleic and fumaric acids exhibit geometric isomerism or they are geometric isomers.

maleic acid and fumaric acid are geometric isomers
4 years ago

Post Your Answer

Cae­sium atomic number

Cae­sium atomic number 55

RAKESH CHINDAM 6 days ago

KUNCHAM SAMPATH 6 days ago
define Boyle's law

For a fixed amount of an ideal gas kept at a fixed temperature, pressure and volume are inversely proportional. Or Boyle's law is a gas law , stating that the pressure and volume of a gas...

PRAPULPODISHETTI 15 hours ago

boyle’s law is states that the pressure of a given mass of an ideal gas is inversely proportional to its volume at a constant temperature.

BOLLU SRINIVAS 15 hours ago
why the second period elements only forming double or multiple bonds unlike the other members of the group.

And yes, they can form double or multiple bonds while elements of the lower periods can’t because for double and triple bonding there has to be effective pi bonding which is formed by...

Neeti one month ago

Because they don’t have vacant d orbitals therefore it’s not possible for them to expand their valency. The elements in the lower periods have empty d orbitals therefore it’s possible for...

Neeti one month ago

Sorry for the first answer, i misread your question. ignore it. The seond answer gives the correct explanation. Please approve it if you think it’s useful :) And you can ask other doubts...

Neeti one month ago
calculate the mass of photon with wavelenght 3.6 Å.

Hint. The relation between mass and wavelength is mass = (plank’s constat * velocity of light in vaccum)/ wavelength. Use this relation to find the mass of photon. Thanks.
  img
Vijay Mukati one month ago
what is chemical formula of borax?

Na2B4O7 10H2O

sanjay 7 days ago

Na2B4O7.10H2O

BOLLU SRINIVAS 4 days ago

Na2B4O7·10H2O

Krishna Koushik 4 days ago
Can there be any temperature below absolute zero(0 K)??If not,why not???

No 0 Kelvin is most difficult to achieve can u expect more than this? It is the min value for temperature.

Carmel Emmanuel 3 days ago

My question is why is it not possible to obtain a temperature of less than 0 K??????????

Gopikrishnan 2 days ago

My question is why is it not possible to obtain a temperature of less than 0 K??????????

Gopikrishnan 2 days ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details