please explain geometrical isomerisam in in alkenes with diagram for easily understandig

3 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Geometrical isomerism is a kind of stereoisomerism. The isomerism due to the difference in spatial arrangements of groups about the doubly bonded carbon atoms is known as Geometrical Isomerism.

For e.g., consider the structure of 2-butene.

Space Models

Space Models of 2-Butenes

fig.12.1 - Space Models of 2-Butenes

Note that the atoms are arranged in two different ways in I and II. The two CH3 groups lie on the same side in I and on the opposite sides in II. When two similar atoms or groups lie on the same side, the isomerism is called cis isomerism and the isomers are called cis isomers (cis means "on same side" in Latin). When two similar atoms or groups lie on opposite sides, the isomerism is called trans isomerism and the isomers are called trans isomers (trans means "across" in Latin). Geometrical isomerism is also called Cis-trans isomerism.

The carbon-carbon double bond in 2-butene consists of one sigma bond and one pie bond. The pie bond is formed by the lateral overlapping of p orbitals that lie above and below the sigma orbital plane. To pass from the cis form to the trans form, the molecule must be twisted so that the p orbitals don't overlap any more and the pie bond is broken. To break this pie bond, around 167.2KJ of energy is required. Therefore the conversion from one geometric isomer to another is very rare in 2-butene.

Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

fig.12.2 - Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

Similarly, maleic and fumaric acids exhibit geometric isomerism or they are geometric isomers.

maleic acid and fumaric acid are geometric isomers
3 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
how to study organic chemistry?what i should study for board exams ? please reply me

Hello, Organic chemistry is not that much difficult. Just try to learn it in a sequential way. What you have to do is first learn the nomenclature of organic compounds and then moves towards...
  img
Anjali Ahuja 5 days ago
how alkenes react with hydrated proton

For the hydration of alkenes, the general chemical equation of the reaction is the following: RRC=CH2 in H2O/acid → RRC(-OH)-CH3 A hydroxyl group (OH−) attaches to one carbon of...
  img
Harishwar one month ago
what are aromatic compounds? is this an aromatic compound? CH3-CH2-CH=O

an organic compound that contains one or more benzene ring is called an AROMATIC COMPOUND.well I think aldehyde- CH3-CH2-CH=O is an aromatic compound.

Moxa Alpesh Patel 3 months ago
Q . THE INCREASING ORDER OF STABILITY OF MOLECULAR OF THE FOLLOWING SPECIES- N 2 , N 2 + , N 2 - , N 2 2- . . .

As we know that stability of the molecule is directly proportionla to bond order Now,bond order=no of electron in (bonding-antibonding)/2 =1/2(Nb-Nab) For N2=3 N2+ =2.5 N2^-=2.5 N2^2-=2 Thus...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
in exams so many times it is asked that what is the dipole moment of dis n dis compond or 1.64 or anythng else is d dipole moment of which element...how dis will b calculted....

Please ask a particular question we will help you , i am not able to understand your quetstion completely what you want to ask, please ask the direct question.
  img
Sher Mohammad 3 months ago

Write the formula for dipole moments on your paper: |m| = d * R. In this formula, |m| stands for the absolute value of the dipole moment, meaning you will express the dipole moment as a...

dfdffdfddffd 3 months ago
How many types of packing is their in unit cell?? Which are they??? Explain each

Close packing The principles involved can be understood by considering the most efficient way of packing together equal-sized spheres and stacking close-packed atomic planes in three...
  img
Harishwar one month ago
View all Questions »