Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 400 off
USE CODE: MOB20

please explain geometrical isomerisam in in alkenes with diagram for easily understandig

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Geometrical isomerism is a kind of stereoisomerism. The isomerism due to the difference in spatial arrangements of groups about the doubly bonded carbon atoms is known as Geometrical Isomerism.

For e.g., consider the structure of 2-butene.

Space Models

Space Models of 2-Butenes

fig.12.1 - Space Models of 2-Butenes

Note that the atoms are arranged in two different ways in I and II. The two CH3 groups lie on the same side in I and on the opposite sides in II. When two similar atoms or groups lie on the same side, the isomerism is called cis isomerism and the isomers are called cis isomers (cis means "on same side" in Latin). When two similar atoms or groups lie on opposite sides, the isomerism is called trans isomerism and the isomers are called trans isomers (trans means "across" in Latin). Geometrical isomerism is also called Cis-trans isomerism.

The carbon-carbon double bond in 2-butene consists of one sigma bond and one pie bond. The pie bond is formed by the lateral overlapping of p orbitals that lie above and below the sigma orbital plane. To pass from the cis form to the trans form, the molecule must be twisted so that the p orbitals don't overlap any more and the pie bond is broken. To break this pie bond, around 167.2KJ of energy is required. Therefore the conversion from one geometric isomer to another is very rare in 2-butene.

Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

fig.12.2 - Hindered rotation about the carbon carbon double bond

Similarly, maleic and fumaric acids exhibit geometric isomerism or they are geometric isomers.

maleic acid and fumaric acid are geometric isomers
4 years ago

Post Your Answer

I’m getting confused in deciding the stability order. Please help me.

see the question is for a carbanion. a carbanion has negative charge and is a reaction intermidiate. we know that NO2 shows very strong -R effect, i.e pulls the electrons towards itself...

Neeti 6 months ago

find the bond order of compound more the bond order, more stable is compound

Vaibhav Gupta 6 months ago

which

Neeti 6 months ago
Dear Sirs The question is arrange the given in increasing ionic radii. Na+, Li+, Mg2+, Be2+ (The given sequence is actually also the ansewer). While comparing Na+ and Mg2+ I know that Na+...

Hi Student For isoelectronic species the cation with high positive charge has less atomic radii because of increase in the Z effective from the nucleus
  img
Harishwar 6 months ago

see, these are exceptions kind of. Li is in the second period and we know that second period elements show anomalous behaviour. you are right in saying that Mg has an extra shell but you...

Neeti 6 months ago

thanks sir for the answer. But i already know how to compare isoelectronic species . What i want to know is that how to compare Mg2+(10e) and Li+(2) in terms of ionic radii. they are not...

Shiv Shukla 6 months ago
Which book will provide the best theory portion for organic chemistry

For Organic Chemistry , I would suggest a book named "LG Wade" by Can you give me a list of chapters of class 12th which can be covered beforehand? there in jee syllabus ) from a good book...

Gavvala Ganesh 5 months ago

http://www.askiitians.com/book-review/iit-jee-organic-chemistry-morrision-boyd/ Please follow the link :)

Neeti 6 months ago

LG WADE

L GOUSE BASHA 5 months ago
what are the classifications of silicates?

Silicates are 6 types: Orthosilicates. Pyrosilicates. Chainsilicates. Cyclicksilicates. Sheetsilicates. Framesilicates.

PRAPULPODISHETTI 5 months ago

Orthosilicates. Pyrosilicates. Chainsilicates. Cyclicksilicates. Sheetsilicates. Framesilicates.

BOLLU SRINIVAS 5 months ago

Silicates are 6 types: Orthosilicates. Pyrosilicates. Chainsilicates. Cyclicksilicates. Sheetsilicates. Framesilicates.

RAKESH CHINDAM 5 months ago
what is s-block elements?

The s-block elements include hydrogen (H), helium (He), lithium (Li), beryllium (Be), sodium (Na), magnesium (Mg), potassium (K), calcium (Ca), rubidium ( Rb ), strontium (Sr), cesium (Cs), ...

SHANMUKESHWAR 5 months ago

The s - block is one of four blocks of elements on the periodic table. The s - block group have a common property, The electron in their most outward electron shell are in the s -orbital....

KALYAN 5 months ago

The s-block elements of the Periodic Table are those in which the last electron enters the outermost s-orbital. As the s-orbital can accommodate only two electrons, two groups (1 & 2)...

pralay 5 months ago
WHY NITROGEN HAS ALL OXIDATION STATES (-3TO +5)TELL ME THE ANSWER

The nitrogen elements have, perhaps, the widest range in physical state of any ... or negative charges and exist in oxidation states of +3 or −3 in their compounds.hence they exists

N JYOTHEESWAR one month ago

Oxidation States of. Nitrogen . Oxidation. HNO. 3. N. 2. O. +1. +5. -3. NO. +2. NH. 3. -1/3. HN .... insufficient amount of base to react with all of the hydrogen atoms.

T.kumar one month ago

nitrogen has more electron negativity and non avalability of d oribitals.so nitrogen has oxidation state -3 to 5.

sudarshan one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 400 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts