sir say some tricks to understand the mechanism of reactions in organic chemistry (i.e inductive effect,electromeric effect,mesomeric effect, hyper conjugation ,resonance, carbocations ,carbenes ,carbanions, addition reactions, stability of bases, stearic factor? how to decide the stability of the "carbenes,carbocations,carbanions,bengly compounds " plz explain with diagrams

sir say some tricks to understand the mechanism of reactions in organic chemistry (i.e inductive effect,electromeric effect,mesomeric effect, hyper conjugation  ,resonance,  carbocations  ,carbenes  ,carbanions,  addition reactions, stability of bases,  stearic factor?

how to decide the stability of the "carbenes,carbocations,carbanions,bengly compounds "

plz explain with diagrams

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

We know that methyl group is electron releasing i.e. has +I inductive effect. The alkyl group attached to positively charged carbon atom tends to release electrons towards carbon. This decreases the positive charge on the carbon atom but the carbon itself is somewhat positive. As a result, the positive charge on the carbon atom gets dispersed, giving it stability. Therefore, more the number of alkyl groups, the greater will be the dispersal of charge and therefore, more stable will be the carbocation.

Thus, tertiary carbocation in which there are three alkyl groups attached to positive carbon is more stable than a secondary carbocation with two alkyl groups. Similarly, a secondary carbocation is more stable than a primary carbocation, which in turn is more stable than methyl carbocation:

stability of carbocations

Thus, the order of stability is: CH3+ < 1o < 2o < 3o

Other carbocations are benzyl carbocation, which is primary in nature but is highly stable because of resonance stabilization.

resonance stabilization of carbocations

Triphenyl carbocation, Ph3C+ is the most stable because of resonance stabilization among three phenyl groups.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free