ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

What forms when D-Galactose reacts with (a)acetic anhydride, (b)NaBH4, (c) H2, Ni and (d)NaOH and acetaldehyde?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Galactose is a type of sugar found in milk products and sugar beets. It is also made by the body. It is considered a nutritive sweetener because it has calories.

Galactose is a monosaccharide constituent, together with glucose, of the disaccharide lactose. The hydrolysis of lactose to glucose and galactose is catalyzed by the enzyme beta-galactosidase, a lactase.

Individuals who lack this enzyme are 'lactose intolerant' and unable to realize the nutritive potential of milk sugars. The lactose then passes to the large intestine where it is digested by bacteria, producing gas and flatulence.

Galactose is a monosaccharide. It contains six carbons and an aldehyde group and is classified as an aldose and a hexose. Both the D and L forms are found in nature. The structure depicted at the right is the D isomer. D-Galactose is commonly found in milk as part of the disaccharide lactose. L-Galactose is present in polysaccharides, such as agar.

Galactose is a sugar formed from dietary lactose. It is converted to galactose-1-phosphate and other metabolites by several enzymes, especially phosphogalactose uridyl transferase. A decrease or lack of the enzyme will cause elevated galactose and galactose-1-phosphate levels in the bloodstream.

Picture of Galactose

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Select the correct statements regarding E2 reactions it is anti-periplanar rearrangements take place it is a single step reaction

Yes u r right, actually it was my fault, I mean first and last and so I should have to write 1 and 3. Thanks for your comment. ......................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

1 and 2. For details please read the text book. ......................... ....................................................... ..........................................................
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

The correct statements are it is anti- periplanar it is single step reaction

Himaja 6 months ago
Give the decreasing order of the SN-1 reactivity of the following compounds.

2>1>3 rate of SN1 depend on stability of carbocation formed . As we can see on removal of Br from carbon and forming carbocation 1 has c+ on secondary carbon 2 has c+ on secondary carbon...

shubham 4 months ago

thank you sir

Riya 4 months ago
What will you name this compound in IUPAC system ? The reason for this question is tht priority rule says that double bond is preffered over triple bond and they are also treated as...

My answer for this question would be 3-(1-Propyne)Hept-1,6-diene The reason for that is, the terminal double bonds are always given priority over the terminal triple bonds. Consider that....

Yash Jain 3 months ago

Hello Yash Jain, actually that’s the confusion. According to rules I know , we select parent chain with most multiple and if it is same for 2 chains , then we choose one which is longest....

Avinash Thakur 3 months ago

Hello Yash Jain, actually that’s the confusion. According to rules I know , we select parent chain with most multiple and if it is same for 2 chains , then we choose one which is longest....

Avinash Thakur 3 months ago
what are oxygenated ions?

dimethyl ether and oxygen

badugu omkar 3 months ago

dimethyl ether and oxygen

badugu omkar 3 months ago
in a cube close packed structure of mixed oxides ,the lattice is made up of oxide ions,one eighth of tetrahedral voids are occupied by divalent (X2+) ions,whileone half of the octahedral...

Actually the bigger molecules like oxygen occupy the lattice points.In ccp unit cell the effective number of atoms occupying lattice points is 8(1/8)+6(1/2)=4 and in ccp the number of...

Havishma Haranath 6 months ago

this is easy question and you can try to solve it

britto george one month ago

sir plz solve dis

Shriya Mehrotra 6 months ago
which of the molecule can exists as such: a.He 2 b.Be 2 c.Ne 2 d.O 2 +

Be2 does not exist because it has 4 electrons in valence shell and when we draw it molecular orbital diagram its bond order comes out to be 0 so it does not exist but i think in book answer...

ng29 one month ago

d.O 2 + rest all are noble gase which are inert and they do not react with any othe compunds approve if use ful

ng29 one month ago
View all Questions »