DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Menu

What forms when D-Galactose reacts with (a)acetic anhydride, (b)NaBH4, (c) H2, Ni and (d)NaOH and acetaldehyde?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Galactose is a type of sugar found in milk products and sugar beets. It is also made by the body. It is considered a nutritive sweetener because it has calories.

Galactose is a monosaccharide constituent, together with glucose, of the disaccharide lactose. The hydrolysis of lactose to glucose and galactose is catalyzed by the enzyme beta-galactosidase, a lactase.

Individuals who lack this enzyme are 'lactose intolerant' and unable to realize the nutritive potential of milk sugars. The lactose then passes to the large intestine where it is digested by bacteria, producing gas and flatulence.

Galactose is a monosaccharide. It contains six carbons and an aldehyde group and is classified as an aldose and a hexose. Both the D and L forms are found in nature. The structure depicted at the right is the D isomer. D-Galactose is commonly found in milk as part of the disaccharide lactose. L-Galactose is present in polysaccharides, such as agar.

Galactose is a sugar formed from dietary lactose. It is converted to galactose-1-phosphate and other metabolites by several enzymes, especially phosphogalactose uridyl transferase. A decrease or lack of the enzyme will cause elevated galactose and galactose-1-phosphate levels in the bloodstream.

Picture of Galactose

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

WHAT ARE ALKYL GRUPS PLEASE EXPLAIN WITH STRUCTURES

Alkyl Groups and the Symbol R Alkyl groups are the groups that we identify for purposes of naming compounds. They are groups that would be obtained by removing a hydrogen atom from an...

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya one month ago

PLEASE ..... if u like my answer and my answer is use full for you so please just click on approve button ...and if you have any other question or dought keep asking

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya one month ago
Dear Sirs The question is arrange the given in increasing ionic radii. Na+, Li+, Mg2+, Be2+ (The given sequence is actually also the ansewer). While comparing Na+ and Mg2+ I know that Na+...

Hi Student For isoelectronic species the cation with high positive charge has less atomic radii because of increase in the Z effective from the nucleus
  img
Harishwar one month ago

see, these are exceptions kind of. Li is in the second period and we know that second period elements show anomalous behaviour. you are right in saying that Mg has an extra shell but you...

Neeti one month ago

thanks sir for the answer. But i already know how to compare isoelectronic species . What i want to know is that how to compare Mg2+(10e) and Li+(2) in terms of ionic radii. they are not...

Shiv Shukla one month ago
what is c-c bond length of diamond?

The carbon-carbon (C-C) bond length in diamond is 154 pm

PRAPULPODISHETTI 15 days ago

1.54 A c-c bond length of diamond

RAKESH CHINDAM 2 days ago

1.54A

sanjay 15 days ago
if different solutions with different concentrations were given,howto find which solution has highest osmotic pressure

Osmotic pressure arises when two solutions of different concentrations,or a pure solvent and a solution are separated by a semipermeable membrane.Then molecules can pass through the...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
is the melting and boiling point of s-block elements high or low?

ALKALI METALS ---> Melting and boiling points of alkali metals are quite low and decrease down the group due to weakening of metallic bond. Fr is liquid at room temperature ALKALINE EARTH...

Vaibhav Gupta one month ago

thanks, but then why is it said that all metals have high melting and boiling point? So, kindly tell me Mr. Vaibhav. Thanks again

vindhya one month ago
hesss law

According to Hess’s law, the enthalpy change being a state function is same for a rection irrespective of the path followed by it. Meaning: if we have a reaction A to D. and enthalpy of...

Neeti one month ago

equl volume ofall gasses contain equal number of molecules

sudam charan bisoyi one month ago
View all Questions »
More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!