ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

What forms when D-Galactose reacts with (a)acetic anhydride, (b)NaBH4, (c) H2, Ni and (d)NaOH and acetaldehyde?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Galactose is a type of sugar found in milk products and sugar beets. It is also made by the body. It is considered a nutritive sweetener because it has calories.

Galactose is a monosaccharide constituent, together with glucose, of the disaccharide lactose. The hydrolysis of lactose to glucose and galactose is catalyzed by the enzyme beta-galactosidase, a lactase.

Individuals who lack this enzyme are 'lactose intolerant' and unable to realize the nutritive potential of milk sugars. The lactose then passes to the large intestine where it is digested by bacteria, producing gas and flatulence.

Galactose is a monosaccharide. It contains six carbons and an aldehyde group and is classified as an aldose and a hexose. Both the D and L forms are found in nature. The structure depicted at the right is the D isomer. D-Galactose is commonly found in milk as part of the disaccharide lactose. L-Galactose is present in polysaccharides, such as agar.

Galactose is a sugar formed from dietary lactose. It is converted to galactose-1-phosphate and other metabolites by several enzymes, especially phosphogalactose uridyl transferase. A decrease or lack of the enzyme will cause elevated galactose and galactose-1-phosphate levels in the bloodstream.

Picture of Galactose

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Please explain how to count the no. of pi electrons in the attached image (the answer is 10)

i think its 8 , 3 double bonds =6pi electrons and 1l.p of oxygen is delocalised so that the compound is aromatic. The other is in sp 2 hybridised orital

Abhishek Singh 6 months ago

2 lone pairs on the oxygen molecule are in unhybridized p orbitals. Buy ‘solomon&fryhle’’s book on organic chemistry (INR700). It takes 6-8 days to read it’s 1090 pages provided you’ve read ...

Manas Bondale 6 months ago

3 double bonds corresponds to 6 pi electrons , in addition to it there are two lone pairs with oxygen which are counted as pi electons , therefore 6+4=10

daksh 6 months ago
The ratio of oxidation states of Br in KBr to that in KBrO3 is ?

oxidation state of Br in KBr is +1 and KBrO3 is +5 to know how it comes refer to any book u will find it in the chapter redox reaction there u can find how to calculate oxidation state

Aman Bhambra 2 months ago

Thanks for the answer. Can you explain how the answer has come? Thanks.

Krishnakumar Navaneethan 2 months ago

Thanks

Krishnakumar Navaneethan 2 months ago
sir m very cnfused...main kya padhu …..kis book se padhu organic chem?plz help me

You can buy vidoes of askiitians . Or u colud also refer to OP tandon or Solomon and Fryhle ( MS chauhan) Hit approve if u got even a little help by my answer :) Thanks .

Drake 2 months ago

for organic chem himanshu pandey is the best for reactions refer sn sanyal approve if useful approve if useful approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago

for very good level of que refer ms chauhan (advance) approve if useful approve if useful

ng29 2 months ago
sodium thiosulphate is formed when

6 NaOH + 4 S → 2 Na 2 S + Na 2 S 2 O 3 + 3 H 2 O approve if useful

grenade one month ago

thiosulpahate ion is also used in the iodometric titration

grenade one month ago
which book should i prefer for chemistry fo competition for iit

Whatever you feel like you can do. But plz complete it From my point of view Op tondon Ms chouhan P bahadur himanshu pandeyare good choices and even coaching pakages.
  img
Abhinav one month ago

for organic ms chouhan for inorganic op tandon for physical ks verma cengage

grenade one month ago

prefer balaji publication

rahul one month ago
what is the covalency of N in HNO3 and N2O5 ?????

+5 for N2O5

Amit Nagavi 10 months ago

britto george 2 months ago

alekh m 4 months ago
View all Questions »