ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

What forms when D-Galactose reacts with (a)acetic anhydride, (b)NaBH4, (c) H2, Ni and (d)NaOH and acetaldehyde?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Galactose is a type of sugar found in milk products and sugar beets. It is also made by the body. It is considered a nutritive sweetener because it has calories.

Galactose is a monosaccharide constituent, together with glucose, of the disaccharide lactose. The hydrolysis of lactose to glucose and galactose is catalyzed by the enzyme beta-galactosidase, a lactase.

Individuals who lack this enzyme are 'lactose intolerant' and unable to realize the nutritive potential of milk sugars. The lactose then passes to the large intestine where it is digested by bacteria, producing gas and flatulence.

Galactose is a monosaccharide. It contains six carbons and an aldehyde group and is classified as an aldose and a hexose. Both the D and L forms are found in nature. The structure depicted at the right is the D isomer. D-Galactose is commonly found in milk as part of the disaccharide lactose. L-Galactose is present in polysaccharides, such as agar.

Galactose is a sugar formed from dietary lactose. It is converted to galactose-1-phosphate and other metabolites by several enzymes, especially phosphogalactose uridyl transferase. A decrease or lack of the enzyme will cause elevated galactose and galactose-1-phosphate levels in the bloodstream.

Picture of Galactose

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
how do we identify the hybridisation state after watching a carbon compound

Well...I and most of the students decide it by observing the no. of pi-bonds that carbon atom has. If no pi-bond, then sp 3 ; if one, then sp 2 ; and if two, then sp. Eg. CH 2 =C=CH-CH 3...

Yash Jain 2 months ago

Jacob james 3 months ago
which is more reactive toward electrophilic aromatic substitution: Ph-OH or Ph-OR and why....

--OR group has +R effect and _I effect..Thus for electrophilic aromatic substitution Ph-OH is more reactive because of greater _I effect of OH as compared to OR..

Bhubesh 3 months ago

Ph-OR , because it -R also has some +I effect.

daksh 3 months ago
when 3 mole of A and 1 mole of B are mixed in a 1 lit vessel,the following reaction takes place A(g) + B(g)= 2C(g).reversible)..the euilibrium mixture contains 0.5 mole of C .what is the...

Hello student!! please follow the answers and try to understand it properly, if still having some doubts then don’t hesitate in posting on the forum. in the given question, volume=1L,...
  img
Naveen Kumar 6 months ago

thanku so much sir. i got the ans.

Shriya Mehrotra 6 months ago
In Chemical Bonding , One Type Formation Of Covalent Bond Occurs By Overlapping Of Atomic Orbitals {Sigma} (s-s , s-p ,p-p ) ,Taking Z-Axis As Reference Axis , The Order Of Stability Is :[...

her HF hs the highest bond dissociation energy because of two factors (1)electronegativity difference (2)hydrogen bonding next consider the size factor sizo of H2<F2 molecule hence larger...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago

Thank You For Your Answer Sir , But According To Your ?Statement And Applies Chemistry : “What Will Be The Answer Of The Question : Arrange The Following In Decreasing Order Of Stability ::...

Arpit 9 months ago
is lanthanoids can form nitrides ?

yes lanthanoid form nitrides. All of the lanthanides form a mononitride, LnN, with the rock salt structure. The mononitrides have attracted interest because of their unusual physical...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 9 months ago
View all Questions »