Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

about esterification reacation 

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Hi Rohan,

Esterification is the general name for a chemical reaction in which two reactants (typically an alcohol and an acid) form an ester as the reaction product. Esters are common in organic chemistry and biological materials, and often have a characteristic pleasant, fruity odor. This leads to their extensive use in the fragrance and flavor industry. Ester bonds are also found in many polymers.

Esterification is a reversible reaction. Hydrolysis—literally "water splitting"—involves adding water and a catalyst (commonly NaOH) to an ester to get the sodium salt of the carboxylic acid and alcohol. As a result of this reversibility, many esterification reactions are equilibrium reactions and therefore need to be driven to completion according to Le Chatelier's principle. Esterifications are among the simplest and most often performed organic transformations.

The most common esterification processes involve nucleophilic acyl substitution where the carbonyl compound is used as an electrophile and is attacked by a nucleophilic alcohol. However, other processes are possible; esterification by alkylation reverses the roles of "classic" carbonyl chemistry: a carboxylate anion is used as a nucleophile that displaces a halide ion in an SN2 reaction.

6 years ago

Dear Rohan,

You mailed us the question through mail i.e.  :   What happens if tertiery amines reacts with hydrochloric acid?

Check out the Answer here :

(CH3CH2)3N + HCL  right arrow (CH3CH2)3NH+ + Cl- OR is it written: ((CH3CH2)3NH+)(Cl-)

Actually secondary and tertiary amines form ammonium salts on reactions with acids like HCL as well as nitric acid and sulphuric acid

so the final product will be an ammonium salt.

Rohan , you can post  as many doubts on our disucssion forum, all you need to do is login in the link .i.e and post your question..

We have also introduced a point system on the forum. Now you can win MP3 Player, micromax mobile just by answering the posting on our forum. Check out the POINT POLICY.

If you find any question difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Askiitians Expert

Vijay luxmi

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

I m started late but still coverd 4 chapter in chemeestry but 5 and 6 (states of mater and thermodinimics) my sa1 is exactly after 11days both of them have 30. Marks withage out of 70 what...
@ mayank i think 11 days are sufficient to complete that two chapters . states of matter will take max 4-5 days and rest 6 days are easy to do with thermodynamics as far as school exam...
Umakant biswal one month ago
why carboxylic acid remove carbon di oxide from sodium bicarbonate but phenol does not?
phenol is acidic in nature , but not that muchj acidic to react with nahco3 . phenol are weakly acidic in nature . they turn blue litmus red and react with alkali metals and alkalies to...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Phenol is a very weak acid as compared to carboxylic acid and it cannot react with a weak base like sodium bicarbonate
Amay chugh one month ago
In EAS reaction of toulene with NO2, will the mesomeric and inductive effect of the nitro group be dominating over the o/p directing effect of methyl group? If yes, then is o-nitro toulene...
This is nitration therfore the attack would be at ortho position of benzene that is adjacent to the -ch3 group. This is the rule u need to follow in EAS. and hence ortho would be more...
Vikas TU one month ago
what is the oxidation state of sulphur in H 2 S 2 O 8, Na 2 S 4 O 8 and Na 2 S 2 O 3.
@ bhavika in H2S2O8, since 2 oxygen is forming the peroxide linkage here , so, the o.n of sulpher will be +6 . and in the 2 nd case NA2S4O8 , in thaat case take sulpher o.n to be x after...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
u need to remember that which structure have peroxide linkage and which structure have not , there are only some exception with peroxide linkage , go through the ncert redox reaction...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
what meant stationary and rotating polarcovalent molecule ?
@ mardana the covalent molecules which have dipole moment as 0 are called as stationary polar covalent molecules . there are also no degree of freedom of these molecules . rotating polar...
Umakant biswal 6 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn