Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

why the carbon atoms containing 2 or more hydroxy group is unstable,but not in case of halogen.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

An Alcohol functional group is a hydroxyl group bonded to an sp³ hybridized carbon.  It can be regarded as a derivative of water, with an alkyl group replacing one of the hydrogens.  If an aryl group is present rather than an alkyl, the compound is generally called a phenol rather than an alcohol.  Also, if the hydroxyl group is bonded to one of the sp² hybridized carbons of an alkenyl group, the compound is referred to as an enol.  The oxygen in an alcohol has a bond angle of around 109° (c.f. 104.5° in water), and two nonbonded electron pairs.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

How does resorcinol (1,3 dihydroxy benzene) undergo iodoform
resorcinol undergoes keto enol tautomerisation ,due to this the CH2 group between the OH groups is activateted,and the hydrogen become acidic,so it can give iodoform test easily.
2017 years ago
and yes aromaticity will be lost,but it will tautomerise only under either acidic,or in this case basic
2 days ago
How to remember all the reactions and the reagents and catalysts simultaneously?
@ vamshi practice is the only thing that can save you in organic chemistry , frst of all when u are reading from ncert , underline all reagents and reactions as well as the catalyst...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Functions of various reagents used in organic chemistry problems.
Sir, actually at present i am solving class 12th "haloalkanes, and haloarenes". so i need the list of reagents and their functions from this chapter. But as i would further solve the next...
Apar 17 days ago
@ apar there are a lot of reagents are avaliable as far as the whole organic chemistry are concerned . so, kindly tell me of which chapter u need the list of reagents . so, that i can...
Umakant biswal 21 days ago
What do you mean by azeotroprs?please mention what are it`s types??
@ prasad azeotropes are besically those mixture which have the same composition in liquid and vapour state . 2- in will boil at a contaant temp . if the two above criterioa will be...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Hi ! prasad, Azeotropes is defined as the binary mixture containing same component in liquid and vapour phase and boil at constant temperature.It is not possible to separate the component of...
nath 2 months ago
what is hybridisation of free radical cl03 ? .. and how can i find the hybridisation of free radicals like ch3, cf3, no2...
@ anubhav the hybridisation in chlorate is sp3 . clo ^ 3- have 3 bond pairs and 1 loan pair ifu can calculate acc to the VSEPR theory . it is of the type AB3E . it has trigonal pyramidal...
Umakant biswal one month ago
sir, what is the hybridisation of cl03 free radical and not clo3-.... ch3 has sp2 hybridisation bt cf3 has sp3 hybridisation.. jst like this i want to knw if there’s any kind of exception...
anubhav one month ago
Calculate the pressure exerted by one mole of CO 2 gas at 273 K if the van der Waa ls‟ constant a = 3.592 dm 6 atm mol – 2 . Assume that the volume occupied by CO 2 molecules is negligible.
but this question is an iit jee advanced 2000 chemistry question....they too have not specified the volume...
Balaji Krishnamachari 15 days ago
Since Volume of container is not specified the Real gas eqn. would get remained in terms of volume. Negligible molecules volume would only led the b constant to zero. Mention the Volume of...
Vikas TU 15 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn