Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Tetravalency Of Carbon

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Tetravalency Of Carbon

The atomic number of carbon is 6 and its ground state electronic configuration is …… Since it has four electrons in its outermost shell, its valency is four. To achieve noble gas configuration, carbon atom cannot lose or gain four electrons to form C4+ and C4– ions because of the large amount of energy required for these processes (ionization energy and electron affinity). Thus, it has a very little tendency to form ionic compounds. Therefore, carbon achieves the noble gas configuration only by sharing electrons with other and it form covalent bonds.

Thus a carbon atom forms four covalent bonds in its compounds. For example, a molecule of methane (CH4) is formed when four electrons of carbon are shared with four hydrogen atoms as show below:

Ina similar manner carbon can complete its octet by sharing its valence electrons with the electrons of other atoms as well. This characteristic of carbon atom by virtue of which is forms four covalent bonds is generally referred to as tetracovalency of carbon.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

among which of the following compounds has maximum no of sp-hybridized C atomsa) (CN)2b) CH=C=CH-CNc) HCtriplebondC―CH2CH2=C=C=CH2d) HCtriple bond C―CN
HCtriplebondC―CH2CH=C=C=CH2 has highest number of sp hybridized Carbon atoms. one triple bonded and two double bonded woth no hydrogens.
Vikas TU 3 days ago
But the answer is given HC triple bond C―CN...................……… ……………………………………… …………………………….................................
Vaibhavi 2 days ago
I have op tandon for organic chemistry but my teacher says it`s not that good any idea what r must buy for organic? For problems I have himanshu pandey book
@ harsha yes ,o.p tandon is not at all required for organic chemistry , beacuse there are many concept which areabove the level of which jee advanced actually tests . so, for that reason...
Umakant biswal one month ago
frst of all gowith ncert , then solve all ques from himanshu pandey , if u are now at class 11 th then go with morrision and boyd , and if on class 12 th , then go with shortcuts for...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Thx a lot :) , I am like in extended now, kinda forgot most of it so I guess I'll get Morrison and boyd, my teacher said ceng but Nvm no one else suggested that
Kottapalli Sai Harsha one month ago
plsssss tell hybridisation structure of BF3...... and angle , and plsss tell did we get that.
sp2 should be its hybridization. and geometry should be Trignol Planer. and angle should be 120 degree.
Vikas TU one month ago
Why Rutherford used alpha particle and gold foil in his experiment
dear ankesh can i know the reason for disapproval ?? i mean my answers are correct , tell me the thing that u nt understood . ?? or what else u required for this question ??
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
@ ankesh The reason why rutherford use alpha particle for the experiment 1- they are heavily and positively charged . 2- they donot have any electron 3- as like charges will repel , the...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
W​hich is the most basic---CrO3, Mn2O7, NiO, V2O5???? ​
The more the oxidation state the more ot’s oxide would be basic. As Cr has +3 oxidation state. Mn has +7 state. Ni has +2 state. V has +5 state. Mn2O7 > V2O5 > CrO > NiO
Vikas TU 9 days ago
how to balance redox reaction in acidic med. HSO 4 - +As 4 +Pb 3 O 4 ​ = PbSO 4 +H 2 AsO 4 -
1)First write down the half reactions:- a) Oxidation Half Reaction – As 4 0 is getting oxidised to As +5 . Now balance the reaction by first balancing the main atom and then by adding...
Balaji Krishnamachari 14 days ago
1)First write down the half reactions:- a) Oxidation Half Reaction – As 4 0 is getting oxidised to As +5 . Now balance the reaction by first balancing the main atom and then by adding...
Balaji Krishnamachari 14 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn