Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

What is steric hindrance. Explain with examples?

What is its effect on reaction mechanism?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

The repulsions between the alkyl or any other bulky groups present on a carbon atom, if the distance between the two is less than vander waals radius is said to be steric hinderance. Steric hinderance has different effect on different types of mechanism. for eg, tertiary alkyl halides do not undergo SN2 mechanism becoz of steric hinderance.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

is it possible to convert methanol to ethanol & vice versa with bulk quantity say 4 ton?Would the reaction be harmful because of large volume conversion?Will it leave any residue that will...
Hi, already someone has answered this question. pls check:
Vikas TU one month ago
Can`t understand how to name compounds in IUPAC and common names, and how are they attached to compounds??
@ pallavi KIndly be specific , as there are so much groups in alkanes which can be attached , else u can just post a pic of organic compound and i can give u the full explanation on how...
Umakant biswal one month ago
suggest a good book for ORGANIC & INORGANIC Chemistry fot JEE(Mains & Advance) and also suggest a good book which has all the three sections of chemistry i.e, (Organic , Inorganic &...
@ aryan if u are considering both mains and adv , then they both are separate . beacuse jee mains testing how much facts u can remember , but jee adv are totally conceptual and they are...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
From my actual experience read NCERT books thoroughly. Every step every word every paraagraph is important. Books U can take then as: Organic chemitsry by Morrison and Boyd or by Shishir...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What is the radius of Li 2+ ion in 2nd orbit and please give me the formula
@ piyush u haVE to use the below formula r (n ) = n ^ 2*0.529* 10^ -10 / zm z = atomic number = 3 n = 2 (as given 2 nd orbit ) just put the value in the formula and calculate it . r (n ) =...
Umakant biswal one month ago
The formula of finding the radius of atom = 0.529 * n^2/Z So, here the ‘n’ is 2 & ‘Z’ is 3 Then, Radius=0.529 * 4/3 =0.705
Lakshit one month ago
The phosphate of a certain metal M is M3 (PO4)2. The correct formula of metal sulphate would be??? Please explain the answer and thank you in advance.
the metal will be from II(A) Group i.e can be Be,Mg,Ca Etc. since, M 2+ PO 4 3- By cross multiplication we get this formula.
2017 years ago
I want brief knowledge about subshells arriving after f-subshells.
In electronic Configuration for large atomic numbers elements, the first f orbital which gets filled is 4f. After that 5d → 6p → 7s get filled. This U can learn from the memory map which...
Vikas TU 14 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn