Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Partial covalent character of lithium halides

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Partial covalent character of lithium halides

The salts of alkali metals are the most ionic salts known. Although lithium is an alkali metal yet its compounds., particularly halides, are slightly covalent in nature. This is because the Li* ion has small size and has maximum tendency to withdraw the electrons towards itself from the negative ion. In other words, it distorts the electron cloud of the anion towards itself. This distortion of the electron cloud of the negative ion by the positive ionis known as polarization. As a result, the charges on the ions become less because some of its charges get neutralized.

This leads to covalent character. Thus, if polarization is more, larger will be the covalent character of the bond. The polarization depends upon

(i)The polarization increase with decrease in size of the cation.

(ii) The polarization increase with increase in size of the anion because, the anion gets polarized.

If the anion is large, its electron cloud will be weakly held by the nucleus and can be easily deformed towards the cation.

(iii) The polarization increase with increase in charge of the ion (cation or anion).

Thus, Li* being small in size, polarizes the anion and results in decrease of the positive charge on Li* ion. Therefore, lithium halides are covalent in nature. For example, LiI is covalent.
7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

what are exactly optical isomers ?how can we identify them?
Optical isomerism is a form of Stereoisomerism.These are the molecule that differ three dimensionally by the placement of substituents around one or more atom in a molecule.Optical isomers...
prasan 2 months ago
@ diptesh Plastic optical fiber (POF) (or Polymer optical fibre) is an optical fiber that is made out of polymer . Similar to glass optical fiber, POF transmits light (for illumination or...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Optical isomers are those isomers which should posses no POS. .i.e. No Plane of symmetry and No Axis of symmtery. Then only it would be considered as optically active isomers. . And for...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What are antibiotics...............................................?
Antibiotics: Antibiotics are chemical substances produced by micro-organism (bacteria, fungi and mould) which prevent the growth or kill other micro-organisms.
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
@ ram An antibiotic is given for the treatment of an infection caused by bacteria. Antibiotics target microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and parasites. However, they are not effective...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Functions of various reagents used in organic chemistry problems.
Sir, actually at present i am solving class 12th "haloalkanes, and haloarenes". so i need the list of reagents and their functions from this chapter. But as i would further solve the next...
Apar 17 days ago
@ apar there are a lot of reagents are avaliable as far as the whole organic chemistry are concerned . so, kindly tell me of which chapter u need the list of reagents . so, that i can...
Umakant biswal 20 days ago
What is a fuel cell...................................................?
Galvanic cells that convert energy of combustion of fuels like hydrogen, methane, methanol etc directly into electrical energy are called fuel cells.
SAI SARDAR 3 months ago
@ RAM A fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity through a chemical reaction of positively charged hydrogen ions with oxygen or another oxidizing ...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
Discuss the geometry of molecules having two lone pair and two bond pairs.
molecules having two lone pair and two bond pairs would exhibit the sp3 hybridization with BENT /ANGULAR/V -SHAPE. for example water molecule that is H2O has be shape with oxygen atom...
Vikas TU 14 days ago
what is meant by internal energy.................................?
@ sharda internal energy can be defined as the energy associated with the random , disordeerd motion of molecules . it is separated in scale from the macroscopic ordered energy associated...
Umakant biswal one month ago
The energy in molecules or atoms or in system is defined due to the random motion collision or anny movment between them. that energy is called as internal energy. it depends on many...
Vikas TU one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn