Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 500 off

Diagonal Relationship

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Diagonal Relationship

It has been observed that some elements of second period show similarities with the elements of the third period present diagonally to each other, through belonging to different groups. This is called diagonal relationship.

Thus, the similarity in properties of elements present diagonally is called diagonal relationship. This is shown below:

For example: lithium resembles with magnesium, the element of group 2.

Cause of diagonal relationship. The case of diagonal relationship is the similarity in properties such as electronegatively, ionization energy, size etc. between the diagonal elements. For example, on moving from left to right across a period, the electronegatively increases and while moving down a group electronegatively decreases. Therefore, on moving diagonally. The two opposing tendencies almost cancel out and the electronegatively values remain almost same as we move diagonally. Thus, the diagonally pairs have many similar properties.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Organic Chemistry

Please, explain the answer of the above question,how the basisity affected by Nitrogen & how i can solve these typevof ques, i want to know concept behind these types of ques.
Remember: Basicity is alwas first check by the hybridization of the Nitrogen atom group. Basicity increases in the following order: sp3 > sp2 > sp. Therfore I AND IV options have N atom sp3 ...
Vikas TU 22 days ago
Please explain more if 1 & 4 both are sp3 hybridised then why 4 has more badicity than 1 and how to decide between other two option.
Er Manish Kumar 22 days ago
can some one help me in telling why para dihydroxy benzene dipole moment is not equal to zero? While para xylene is zero.
@ dattatray the dipole moment of para dimethoxybenzene is not 0 beacuse it exist in two forms , cis and trans forms . out of which trans have 0 dipole moment beacuse it is a symmetrical...
Umakant biswal one month ago
-R effect of -COOR is greater than -COOH. What is the best reason behind it.
Simple answer: in Ester that is -COOR there is R group that is the combination carbon and hydrogen atoms. And -R group always shows +R effect thus decreases -R effect.
Vikas TU 27 days ago
R is a alkyl group and so it is a electron pushing group and so t shows -R effect much better than H COO
since “R”(Alkyl) group is +R group so decrease -R effect while H doesnot hence -R effect of -COOR is greater than -COOH.
How to find the magnetic moment of a coordination compound
@ anjana u can find out the magnetic moment of a coordination compound by the foillwoing formula u = root over of n (n+2 ) BM where u stands for magnetic moment n is the no of unpair...
Umakant biswal 8 days ago
calculate the amount of workdone when one mole of an ideal gas present in a bulb of 5litres capacity at one one atmosphere pressure is allowed to enter into an evacuated bulb of 50 litres...
the amount of workdone when one mole of an ideal gas present in a bulb of 5litres capacity at one one atmosphere pressure is: W = -P(change in volume) = -1 * (50 – 5) = -1 * 45 = -45 Joules.
Vikas TU 28 days ago
help me with it.please.............................................
Dear esha, Your question in the attachment is not clearly visible. Please repost it or write the question yourself.
Vikas TU 28 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 500 off

More Questions On Organic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn