What is time in term of preparation??

What is time in term of preparation??

Grade:7

1 Answers

Rinkoo Gupta
askIITians Faculty 81 Points
9 years ago
Within the large constellation of educational institutions and educational systems existing across the world, there are always those students who attain high academic standards not because they are geniuses, but because they are dedicated, diligent and strategic individuals who begin and follow a rigid study timetable.
These pupils may begin studying for final examinations by the time the opening lecture for a semester is completed, as they read over their notes promptly after class
This philosophy is an ideal that is encouraged by educators and parents alike, and will ensure continued academic success if applied effectively.
This approach works wonderfully for students who possess a vivid long-term memory, and may be enforced also through the repetition of the studied content.
However for persons like me, who possess a wonderful short-term memory and arguably average long-term memory, there are alternative approaches to studying or preparing for exams for the short-term that are not as boring or as time consuming.

I have tried the prescribed approach of reading over after class and studying for exams from way before.

They worked for me in high school, but seemed impractical for college where I experienced heavy work-loads, high stress levels, and short breathing spaces between final and mid-semester exams.

In college I aimed to attend all of my classes: that way I could secure for myself a cursory understanding of the contents of the various courses I had taken.

When exams came around, I already categorized the various topics into a mental schema. When I was confronted by consecutive exams and had large subject areas to review or to learn as the case might have been, I employed my proven technique.

I would read all the required slides or texts and highlight and type out only the main-points, for the individual topics that I was required to know.

Then I would organized them in bullet-points under the respective topics and study them accordingly. After learning these skeletal points, coupled with my cursory knowledge of the topics, I easily achieved A's and B's.

This approach worked for me in statistics exams as well as in, essay and short-answer evaluations.

This was effective also because, If you pick out the main-points from a 50 page article for example, you may narrow it down to 3 pages of essential information that you would have gotten lost within, were you to read everything wholly.

Additionally this will work effectively if you spend time to learn the supporting information for the main-points from attending class lectures and tutorials regularly.

By Pedro Whyte, a budding poet, anthropologist, writer and drummer. I also possess a knack for research and interest in scholarly discourse. I am a god fearing individual. I have an eclectic feel for and interest in a wide variety of issues a and subject matters.

Thanks & Regards
Rinkoo Gupta
AskIITians Faculty

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free