The acceleration of a particle as seen from two frames S1 & S2 have equal magnitude 4m/s^2. (a) The frames must be at rest with respect to each other. (b) The frames may be moving with respect to each other but neither should be accelerated with respect to each other. (c) The acceleration of S2 with respect to S1 may either be 0 or 8m/s^2. (d) The acceleration of S2 with respect to S1 may be anything between 0 and 8m/s^2. THE ANSWER is given as (d) Well though d is correct i don’t understand why b can’t also be correct because a p,s2 = a p,s1 + a s1,s2 so since we have got both a p,s1 & a p,s2 4m/s 2 a s1,s2 should be ofcourse 0 i.e, neither should be accelerated with respect to the other. But the answer is only (d) . How ?

The acceleration of a particle as seen from two frames S1 & S2 have equal magnitude 4m/s^2.

(a) The frames must be at rest with respect to each other.

(b) The frames may be moving with respect to each other but neither should be accelerated with respect to each other.

(c) The acceleration of S2 with respect to S1 may either be 0 or 8m/s^2.

(d) The acceleration of S2 with respect to S1 may be anything between 0 and 8m/s^2.

THE ANSWER is given as (d) 

Well though d is correct i don’t understand why b can’t also be correct because

ap,s2 = a p,s1 + a s1,s2

so since we have got both a p,s1 & ap,s2 4m/s

a s1,s2 should be ofcourse 0 i.e, neither should be accelerated with respect to the other.

But the answer is only (d) . How ?                   

Grade:12

4 Answers

Aditya Shrivastav
44 Points
7 years ago
you are forgetting that they are equal magnitude not the “equal values” .

solve for
ap,s2 = a p,s1+ a s1,s2

Say for example  
ap,s2  = 4 i 
                        p,s1 = -4 i
then  s1,s2 = 8 

another example 

ap,s2  = 4 i 
 p,s1 = 4 j
then  s1,s2 =   4i + 4j , magnitude will be 5.65

There will be so many other possiblities . Just take the extreme cases . You will get your answer . 

Aditya Shrivastav
44 Points
7 years ago
Sorry , in last example 
“a s1,s2 =   4i - 4j “. There is negative sign instead of  positive sign .

My mistake :D . 

Atul Saswat
30 Points
7 years ago
Didn’t really look down into details (my bad :P)
Actually d and b contradicts each other..so i should hv got it instantly...
guess my brain was fuzzy back then ! or maybe i srsly needed a nap ! however ...Thanx adi ! 
Aditya Shrivastav
44 Points
7 years ago
it’s happen to me alot also ;)

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free