I have a big confusion. There is a question in my book which basically says that a ball is tied to a string and rotated. and it asks me to tell whether the following statement is true of false. Direction of radial acceleration MAY remain the same. This statement is true. Please explain to me a case where this is possible. I think that this is only when an object moves straight and in circular motion i think radial acceleration is always towards the centre. Is it that the frame of reference is different or is it something else?

I have a big confusion. There is a question in my book which basically says that a ball is tied to a string and rotated. and it asks me to tell whether the following statement is true of false. Direction of radial acceleration MAY remain the same. This statement is true. Please explain to me a case where this is possible. I think that this is only when an object moves straight and in circular motion i think radial acceleration is always towards the centre. Is it that the frame of reference is different or is it something else?

Grade:12

1 Answers

Sandeep Pathak
askIITians Faculty 25 Points
9 years ago
That is indeed true. Radial acceleration is zero when an object moves in a straight line. Since in the question, it is given that the ball moves in circular path about a fixed center, radial acceleration is always directed towards the fixed center. If the other end of the string is not fixed, it is possible that the direction of radial acceleration may not remain same but it will remain same if the ball is rotated about a fixed center.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free