A uniform rope is suspended vertically from a point such that its lower end just touches a horizontal table. Now the rope is released from the point of suspension. Prove that when l part of the rope touches the table, force applied on the table equals the weight of length 3l of the rope. Let ρ= mass per unit length of the rope.

A uniform rope is suspended vertically from a point such that its lower end just touches a horizontal table. Now the rope is released from the point of suspension. Prove that when l part of the rope touches the table, force applied on the table equals the weight of length 3l of the rope. Let ρ= mass per unit length of the rope.

Grade:11

3 Answers

Piyush
askIITians Faculty 112 Points
8 years ago
According to me first find out the potential energy(by integration) then differentiate wrt to l then you will be able to find the ans.
Piyush
8 years ago
According to me first find out the potential energy(by integration) then differentiate wrt to l then you will be able to find the ans.
Piyush
8 years ago

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free