A cylinder of mass m radius r is resting on a horizontal platform(parallel to xy plane) with its axis fixed along y axis and free to rotate about its axis .The platform is given a motion in the x direction given by :x=Acos(wt) m There is no slipping between the cylinder and the platform m The maximum torque acting on the cylinder during its motion isAns::1/2×MR(w)^2I already have the solution and method.But my doubt is why cant i use F=ma=MAw^2 find force and thenTorque=force(MRw^2)×dist(R)But then i get MRw^2 which is wrong

A cylinder of mass m radius r is resting on a horizontal platform(parallel to xy plane) with its axis fixed along y axis and free to rotate about its axis .The platform is given a motion in the x direction given by :x=Acos(wt) m There is no slipping between the cylinder and the platform m The maximum torque acting on the cylinder during its motion isAns::1/2×MR(w)^2I already have the solution and method.But my doubt is why cant i use F=ma=MAw^2 find force and thenTorque=force(MRw^2)×dist(R)But then i get MRw^2 which is wrong

Grade:12th pass

1 Answers

Vikas TU
14149 Points
7 years ago
Because here the net force onto the system is not constant and hence the net accleration is not constant.
The torque is still acting on it from the oscillating input and therefore it would do oscillations and the force would be calculated by the torque which has been already given.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free