There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

What are the different laws of friction?

7 years ago

Answers : (2)

Laws of Friction

1.         Laws of Static Friction

Static friction force is always equal and opposite to the net external force acting on the body.

2.         Laws of limiting friction

(i)         Limiting frictional force is independent of the apparent area of contact till the value of the normal reaction remains same.

(ii)        The direction of limiting frictional force is opposite to the direction in which one body is on the verge of starting its motion.

(iii)       The limiting frictional force depends upon the nature of surfaces in contact.

(iv)       Quantitatively, the magnitude of the force of limiting friction (F) on one of the two bodies in contact, is directly proportional to the normal reaction (R) on this body due to the other.

F µ R

Or F = mR

Where m is the constant of proportionally called coefficient of friction.

7 years ago

the laws of friction are:

1) It always acts in the direction opposite to the tendency of relative motion b/w two bodies

2) Its magnitude can be any <UN

3) If we consider the rotational motion, then static friction opposes the direction of net force while kinetic opposes direction of relative motion

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

Atennis ball bounces down a flght of stairs striking each step in turn and rebounding to the height of the step above. Then coefficient of restitution is?
This can be visualised as: h is directly proprtional to v^2 and height get doubled after one step then, for height h initial vel. is v^2 after height 2h the vel. becomes 4v^2 e =...
2017 years ago
Hi Sankalp, I use the Android app, HashLearn, to get my doubts cleared by IIT tutors on HashLearn. You should definitely try it. :)
5 days ago
Question is based on cross product. it is attached.
no the question is how do we know, for example calculate torque. F=2i+3j and r=4i. so is it F cross r or r cross F and how do we decide which is correct. According to the question they used ...
Naveen Shankar one month ago
while writing in vector form you will see it has FsSin@ (where @=theta angle). so while using i vector or j vector or k vector the whole sign changes so -that is the significance of writing ...
dipika kumari Sahoo one month ago
Torque is always r x F and never F x r . If the answer in your book is given for F x r then it is wrong. The example u gave torque should be -12k
Manas Shukla one month ago
In a rocket, the mass of the fuel is 90% of the total mass.The exhaust gases are ejected at a speed of 2 km/s. Find the maximum speed attained by the rocket. Neglect gravity and air...
F = dP/dt = > d(mv)/dt = > vdm/dt + mdv/dt after integrating something we get, v = uln(mi/m) + vi = 2000 * 2.303*log(0.9) = – 210.75 m/s in opposirte direction of that fuel eecting.
2017 years ago
a circular loop carrying a current i is placed in XY plane with center at origin.a uniform magnetic field is oriented about positive z axis.The loop tends to ? ANS: expand how?
compression if the direction of current i
rohit anand 9 months ago
compress if the direction o
rohit anand 9 months ago
Is earth is an inertial frame of reference? If not why
@ rajesh earth is cosidered as an inertial frame of reference , a non inertial frame is that which is on rest or moving with constant velocity , and has no acceleration . though earth has...
Umakant biswal one month ago
2 motor cars starting off with a time gap of 2 minute , travels in the same direction with the same accelaration . time taken by the second car since its departure to complete 1/9 th of...
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
the cars acceleration is gravity is same the cars are is stopped and then first car gravity is slow then second car is freqency and gravity is very fast
haripriya 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts