There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 2,800 off

a uniform rod of length  L and mass  2M on a smooth horizontal table .a point mass M moving horizontally at right angles to the rod with  velocity V collides with one end of rod and sticks it then

1..angular velocity of the system after collision is ?

2..the loss in k.E of the system as a whole as a result of  the collision is ?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear akash

since there is no external force so linear momentum and angular momentum will remain conserved

MV = M(WL/2) + 2MV1

V = WL/2  + 2V1 .

V1 = V/2 - WL/4 ...........1

conservation of angular momentum

MVL/2 = MW(L/2)(L/2)  + I W

MVL/2 = MW(L/2)(L/2)  + 2ML2/12 W

V  =  WL/2  + WL/3

V   =5WL/6

W =6V/5L

from equation 1

V1 = V/5

loss in K.E = 1/2MV2   - 1/2 2M V12 - 1/2 M (WL/2)2 - 1/2 I w2

put the value and calculate

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed
solution very  quickly.
 We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE  & AIEEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

A roller of mass 300kg and of radius 50cm is lying on horizontal floor is resting against a step of height 20cm. The minimum horizontal force to be applied on the roller passing through its ...
mgh=1/2mv 2 +1/2Iw 2 mgh=1/2mv 2 +1/2mr 2 v 2 /r 2 mgh=mv 2 v=root gh v=1.414 m/s again W=F.v 1/2mv 2 +1/2mr 2 v 2 /r 2 =F.v mv 2= F.v F=m.v F=300*1.414 F=424.2 N
Quasim Khan 7 days ago
a body is projected vertically up with a velocity 60m/s, the % of its initial ke converted into pe after 3 seconds?
at 3 seconds , h = 60*3 – 0.5g*9 = > 135 meter. P.E. = mgh = >1350m K.E = 0.5m*3600 = > 1800m % = 1350m/1800m * 100 => 75%
Vikas TU 15 hours ago
In a horizontal circular motion is mg taken into consideration?
Well , in horizontal motion most of the times force mg is balanced by normal reaction. This normal reaction is mostly perpendicular to centripetal force so it doesnt play any role. But if...
Manas Shukla 5 days ago
Yes it is taken into consideration. All the forces acting on the body are taken into consideration when solving any type of problem unless stated otherwise.
Manas Shukla 8 days ago
So do you mean that mg is always taken into consideration? Both in vertical and horizontal circular motions???
Arin Som 8 days ago
A ball is dropped from height h . How much time taken by the ball to reach the ground (take g as acceleration due to gravity) ?
intial U =0 we know that h=ut+1/2 at 2 h=½ gt 2 t=root of (2h/g) time taken ball reach the ground is t=root of (2h/g) THANK YOU
Initial velocity,u=0by using newton`s third equation of motion h=ut+(1/2gt^2),we get-h=1/2gt^22h=gt^2t=square root (2h/g)
Arjun Kumar 2 days ago
i used to study 8 hors per day and i belongs to OBC caste can i get iit bombay CSE
Hey student.. See it all depends on the amount of hard work and how effective hard work you do for the exam hope for the best and lets see what happens..
Sakshi 5 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 2,600 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 2,800 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts