There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A dog of mass 5Kg is standing on a flat boat so that he is 10m from the shore.He walks 4m on the boat towards the shore and then halts. If the mass of the boat is 20Kg, find the distance of the dog from the shore when it halts________

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear sindhuja

let the x1 is the distance of center of mass of boat from the shore,and Xc.m is the distance of  center of mass of the system from the shore

Xc.m =(5*10 +20*x1)/(20+5)

=2 +(4/5)  x1

now let boat move x distance away from the shore when dog move 4m towards the shore

so new distance of boat from shore=x1 +x

new distance of dog from shore=10-4 +x=6+x

Xc.m ={5*(6+x) +20*(x1+x)}/(20+5)

=(30+25x +20x1)/25

=6/5 +x +4/5x1

equate both Xc.m

6/5 +x +4/5x1 =2 +(4/5)  x1

so distance =6+4/5

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
 If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.
 We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE  & AIEEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

Plz give me the answer of above question..........................
There is no question i see here. plz check again! Neither i found any attachment here! Post your question again! Thanks!
2017 years ago
Question is based on cross product. it is attached.
no the question is how do we know, for example calculate torque. F=2i+3j and r=4i. so is it F cross r or r cross F and how do we decide which is correct. According to the question they used ...
Naveen Shankar one month ago
while writing in vector form you will see it has FsSin@ (where @=theta angle). so while using i vector or j vector or k vector the whole sign changes so -that is the significance of writing ...
dipika kumari Sahoo one month ago
Torque is always r x F and never F x r . If the answer in your book is given for F x r then it is wrong. The example u gave torque should be -12k
Manas Shukla one month ago
Refer to the figure. All the surfaces are frictionless. The strings are massless and inextensible. The ratio of tensions T1 and T2 is: a)1 : 5 , b) 5 : 1, c) 1 : 1, d) 6 : 1 (answer), e)1 : ...
Let the acceleration of the system be a. Considering the 2kg and 10kg masses and writing the equation of motion for them, we have: For 10kg mass: (1) For 2kg mass: (2) Substituting eqn(2)...
Raman Mishra one month ago
The applied force is not mentioned...we cant solve without it...there is a short cut method for this type of problems....I cant use it unless u give the numerical value of the force which is...
Soham Chowdhury one month ago
But the force was not given with the question. There was no numerical value, just ‘F’. I’d be happy if you gave me the shortcut, though.
Grace Mathew one month ago
E=a body freely falling from a height h describes 7h/16 in the last
First eqn . write as: h = 0 + 0.5gt^2........................(1) 7h/16 = 0 + 0.5g(t – 1/2).............(2) SOLVE both the eqns. and get h value.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
What is Ampere’s law?please give me the brief explanation..
Ampere's Law states that for any closed loop path, the sum of the length elements times the magnetic field in the direction of the length element is equal to the permeability times the...
The main limitation of Ampers law is, the cirrent must be in steady , that means current must be constant in time. The use of Amperes law is to calculate the magnitc field of a given...
The full version of Ampere's Law is one of Maxwell's Equations that describe the electromagnetic force. Ampere's Law specifically, says that the magnetic field created by an electric current...
ULFAT 7 months ago
Why body with less mass cover distance earlier than body with greater mass. As per momentum
From F = ma mass is inversely prop. to accln. Hence more mass less accln. and less mass more accln. same with momentum. less mass more velocity and therfore less time to travel .
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts