There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A wind power generators converts wind energy into electrical energy.Asume that the generator converts fixed fraction of wind energy intercpted by its blades into electrical energy.For wind speed v, the electrical output will be proportional to

1.v           2.v2          3.v3           4.v4

ans - v3

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear Manoj,

According to Bernouli's Theorm the net trust experienced propotional to the velocities difference above and below the wing of the areoplane
P1-P2= (1/2) *d *(V2^2-V1^2)
And net force experienced

Fnet= A * (1/2) *d *(V2^2-V1^2).....Eq 1
Where A= Total area of the of the wings and d = density of air and V1 and V2 are velocities above and below the wings.

Now the shape of the wind turbines is similar to that of the aeroplane .
the power output P = Fnet*Velocity of the wind
= A * (1/2) *d *V^2 * V (Since we can assume that the wind mill has V2=0 as maximum amount of the air flow takes place in the bulged part of the wings as shown in the figure thus giving V2 = V (velocity of the wind)

This implies Output power is proportional to V^3 where all the terms in the expression[A*(1/2)*d] can be assumed to be constant
Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. If you find any question
Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly. We
are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best STUDENT NAME !!!

Askiitians Experts
Adapa Bharath5561-1225_8384_Untitled.jpg
6 years ago

Consider a circular plane of unit area perpendicular to the wind velocity. Wind crossing this plane in unit time would be trapped in the cylinder having this plane as its base and length V. (volume of this cylinder = Vx(unit area) = V)

=> Energy crossing the circular plane per unit time = Power of wind = ((1/2)xdxV2)xV

(since K.E. of wind per unit volume = ((1/2)xdxV2 and other forms of energy carried by wind are independent of V.)

=> Power of generator would be proportional to V3.

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

A bicyclist comes to a skidding stop in 10m. During this process the force on the bicycle due to the road is 200N and is directly opposed to the motion. The work done by the cycle on the...
Work done by the road on the cycle is =F.s=(-200N).10m=-2000Nm As the displacement of the road is zero,hence work done is zero. If you are helped by my answer then please approve this...
Piyush Behera 6 days ago
Work done by the road on the cycle is =F.s=(-200N).10m=-2000Nm As the displacement of the road is zero,hence work done by the cycle on the road is zero. If you are helped by my answer then...
Piyush Behera 6 days ago
a rectangular plate abcd of mass m and dimensions a x b is supported in a vertical plane by two hinges at aa and b as shown in fig. find instantaneous reaction of the hinge at a immediately ...
plz send the image . then i will better understand & then i will try to help u. i am waiting for figure given in the question. if u dont know how to attach or send figure then ask me.
prateek 22 hours ago
In how much time will my question get answered??can you please reply and give me the correct answer?
Hai student, Your questiions will be answered as soon as possible. Ask your subject doubts to get clarified at AskIITians.
Dr.Adam Shaik yesterday
when and where? magnet was discovered ?? ,by whom???
It was discovered by MAGNES a shepherd about 4000 years ago. It was discoverd from mineral called magnetite .PLZ APROVE
Nikhil Upadhyay 6 months ago
hello, magnet was discovered by magnes about 3500 years ago.that was discovered from mineral called magnetite.
raj 6 months ago
Can thevenin theorem be used in LR and LCR circuits?
Yes thevenin’s theorm is a general way to simplify all kinds of impedence circuits, so you can use them to analyse the behaviour of LR and LCR circuits as well
Riddhish Bhalodia 9 months ago
Three charges -q,+q and -q are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side `a` . The resultant electric force on a charge +q placed at the centroid O of the triangle is
See for these type of questions. Draw the triangle and put charges at the three vertex and try to get the resultant force at the centroid by using the formula: F = K q1 q2/ r^2 You need to...
Suraj Prasad 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts