There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off

a lift of mass 1000kg moves upward with a max mass of 800kg. it experiences constant frictional force of 4000N . if the lift moves with a constant speed of 3m/s then find the power supplied by the motor to move the lift?

7 years ago

Answers : (2)

The lift is not accelarating.

Therefore, the net force on the lift must be zero.

Force acting on the lift are:

1. Gravitational force mg on lift due to its own mass. = 1000*9.8 = 9800 N (downwards)

2. Gravitational force mg due to 800 kg load = 800*9.8 = 7840 N (downwards)

3. Frictional foce 4000 N (downwards, since lift is moving upwards and frictional force always opposes relative motion)

4. Force exerted by the rope (Tension). This force will be supplied by the motor, and this force has to be upwards. Lets call it T.

So, since net force = 0

9800+7840+4000 - T = 0

Hence, T = Force supplied by motor = 9800+7840+4000

So, T = 21640 N

Now, Power = Work/Time = Force * distance/time

or, since distance/time = velocity,

Power = Force * velocity

Therefore, Power supplied by motor = T * v = 21640 * 3 = 64920 W = 64.92 kW

7 years ago

Frictional force = 4000 N

Gravitational force = (1000 + 800 kg) x 9.8    (Force = mass x acceleration and here accelaration is due to gravity g)

= 17640 N

As the lift is moving with constant speed, this means that the force provided by the lift is just as much is needed to overcome the frictional and gravitational force.

Hence, Force provided by the lift = 17640 + 4000 N = 21640 N

Now, Power = Force x Speed

= 21640 x 3 W

= 64920 W

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

A disc of radius R , mass M lies on smooth horizontal surface. Two persons of equal mass m standing on diametrically opposite points. Both persons start moving in same sense, then find...
Reposting the answer for the qstn. posted twice: In same sense as it has been mentioned in the qstn. assuming both v speed as clockwise (let), the disc to be assumed as a rectangular piece...
Vikas TU 9 days ago
I know that for rigid bodies only the work-energy theorem states that the net work done on the body equals the change in kinetic energy of the body since a rigid body has no internal...
Work energy can be applied for all forms of enrgy including internal enrgies and all conservative and non- conservative. But all the internl enrgy forms has already been derived from the...
Vikas TU 14 days ago
a car of mas 1000kg moving with a speed 18km/h on a smooth road and colliding with a horizontally mounted spring of spring constant 6.25x10 cube. wht is thw max compression of the spring?
Just equate the energy. 18 km/hr = 5 m/s Energy of car = = 25000/2 Energy of spring = Equating we get = 2 m
Manas Shukla 13 days ago
When cos of angle will be greater than sin of angle this equation will give imaginary speed what do this imaginary speed indicates
It would never happen as the componets have been formed according to the common angle of inclination of wedge. thus The trignometry would automatically adjust here and that term would never ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
find the unit vector perpendicular tothe vetors P=3i+j+2k and Q=2i-2j+4k. pls explain the steps too
first u have to find the cross product of these two vectors......i hope that u know how to find cross product... (3i+j+2k) X (2i-2j+4k) = 8i-8j-8k now this one is the property of cross...
Deepak Gauniyal 3 months ago
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
Iitjee problem reposted to check who can do it within 5seconds.
@ amal u have did the same mistake again , no image attched with this ques , kindly do add an image so, that we can respond to it as fast as possible , and all are here a professional...
Umakant biswal 8 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 560 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts