Why water on the earth i.e from sea, river etc is not falling down in the universe?

Why water on the earth i.e from sea, river etc is not falling down in the universe?

Grade:12

2 Answers

AskIITianExpert Srijan.iitd
8 Points
14 years ago

Have you ever wondered why water from river,sea etc dont spill over the land?

Every body having mass attracts other bodies having mass with force that is directly proportional to the product of masses of the two bodies and inversely proportional to the square of distance between the two bodies.Since the water bodies have mass and are too close to the earth than the bodies in outer space hence it lies down on the surface of earth.I mean the answer is due to gravity or gravitational force.

if your doubt is that that why does water in glass falls down but water in oceans dont fall down in universe when earth rotates,then you must observe closely that water falls down on earth only ,when you turn down a glass of water and dont goes into the space.

i still didnt got what your doubt is!!!i just guessed and answered!!!

hope this helped!!!

AskiitianExpert Shine
10 Points
14 years ago

Hi

Every planetary body (including the Earth) is surrounded by its own gravitational field, which exerts an attractive force on all objects. Assuming a spherically symmetrical planet (a reasonable approximation), the strength of this field at any given point is proportional to the planetary body's mass and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the body.
This gravitational field tends to push everything down, i.e. in the direction of the centre of the earth. And if we consider the gravitational field of other bodies in universe exerting a force on water, then that force is weaker as alsready said above that the force is inversely proportional to the distance form the center of the body.

Hence, the water does not fall down the Universe ( An important point to note is that you can not mark a direction as "down" in the universe).

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free