QUESTION - NO FORCE IS ACTING ON A NONRIGID BODY , STILL ITS ANGULAR AND LINEAR MOMENTUM REMAINS CONSTANT HOW ?

QUESTION - NO FORCE IS ACTING ON A NONRIGID BODY , STILL ITS ANGULAR AND LINEAR MOMENTUM REMAINS CONSTANT HOW ?

Grade:12

2 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

he angular momentum of a system of particles (e.g. a rigid body) is the sum of angular momenta of the individual particles. For a rigid body rotating around an axis of symmetry (e.g. the fins of a ceiling fan), the angular momentum can be expressed as the product of the body's moment of inertia I (a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation rate) and its  ω:

\mathbf{L} = I \boldsymbol{\omega} \, .

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

F = mdv/dt 

if F = 0 then ,

dP/dt = 0

this is possible if, P = k(constant ) coz differentiation of constant is always 0....

P = constant ...          (momentam remains constant)

now , T(torque) = dL/dt                              (L is angular momentam)

if T is 0 then

dL/dt = 0

L = k(constant)                      (angular momentam remains conserved)

if force is 0 then we can say that linear momentam is 0 but we cannot say anything about angular momentam ...

eg=> a disk is moving  on a horizontal surface  ,

case1)

two equal forces in opposite direction acts towards center then no net force acts on center of mass so its linear  as well as angular momentam will remain conserved ...

case2)

if forces are not acting towards center but are in opposite direction then also net force on center of mass is 0 but these forces are producing torque so angular momentam will change...

approve if u like my ans

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free