A circular table rotates about a vertical axis with a constant angular speed w. A circular pan rests on the turn table (with the center of table)and rotates with the table.The bottom of the pan is covered with a uniform thick layer of ice which also rotates with the pan.The ice starts melting.The angular speed of the turn table a)remains the same b)decreases c)increases d)none.

A circular table rotates about a vertical axis with a constant angular speed w. A circular pan rests on the turn table (with the center of table)and rotates with the table.The bottom of the pan is covered with a uniform thick layer of ice which also rotates with the pan.The ice starts melting.The angular speed of the turn table

a)remains the same b)decreases c)increases d)none.

Grade:12

3 Answers

SAGAR SINGH - IIT DELHI
878 Points
13 years ago

Dear student,

Applying conservation of linear and angular momentum. the angular speed of turn table remains same.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

since there is no external torque acting on the system so angular momentam will remain conserved...

IW = constant    or

IW = IfWf          ..........1           (If , Wf are moment of inertia & angular velocity of final state)

initially ice was at center and contribution of  mass of ice  for inertia is 0...

Iice = mr2     =0            (at center ,r=0)

finally ice melts & spreads over the turntable now its different small small elements contribute moment of inertia & net moment of inertia of system is somewhat more than initial value...

final moment of inertia = I+Iice

from eq 1

IW = (I+I1)Wf

Wf  < W

hence option b) is correct

vikas askiitian expert
509 Points
13 years ago

due to increase in moment of inertia ,angular velocity of table decreases ...

option b) is correct

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free