There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

does friction depends on area under contact force??????

5 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear student,

Friction force has NO "surface area" component. This is hard to understand (and it sounds like the teacher who asked this question doesn't quite understand either...).

Imagine this-- A block of wood with a flat bottom and a legged wooded stool sit on a smooth inclined plane. Do we have to know the contact area (surface area) of the block or the stool legs to determine the angle at which each will slide? No. We merely need to know the applied weight and the coefficient of friction between the materials.

So why does a dragster have such big smooth tires? Wouldn't thin knobby bicycle tires do as well? As far as the friction force is concerned, Yes. But the issue the dragster faces is how to transfer the engine power to the asphalt to accelerate the car. This involves HUGE problems of material strength, power, heat and wear that takes the problem far outside the narrow concerns of friction force.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

5 years ago

yes offcourse..Frictional force depends on the are of contact. you must be knowing that friction force is an electrostatic force which arises due to the attraction b/w the + and - elements of the bodies in larger the area larger will be the force b/w the bodies.

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

Refer to the figure. All the surfaces are frictionless. The strings are massless and inextensible. The ratio of tensions T1 and T2 is: a)1 : 5 , b) 5 : 1, c) 1 : 1, d) 6 : 1 (answer), e)1 : ...
Let the acceleration of the system be a. Considering the 2kg and 10kg masses and writing the equation of motion for them, we have: For 10kg mass: (1) For 2kg mass: (2) Substituting eqn(2)...
Raman Mishra one month ago
The applied force is not mentioned...we cant solve without it...there is a short cut method for this type of problems....I cant use it unless u give the numerical value of the force which is...
Soham Chowdhury one month ago
But the force was not given with the question. There was no numerical value, just ‘F’. I’d be happy if you gave me the shortcut, though.
Grace Mathew one month ago
A ball of mass m is dropped onto a floor from a certain height. The collision is perfectly elastic and the ball rebounds to the same height and again falls. Find the average force exerted by...
The answer for above question shall be ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sqrt (2h/g)
2017 years ago
Is angular acceleration about any point on a rotating rigid body same? If so what is the value of it for a rod of length with a force of M*g acting on the centre and M*g/2 acting on one end...
net moment = I * a where a is the angular accln. Therefore, moment about centre = Mg*l/2 = Ml^2/12 * a Get the value of a Hence.
Vikas TU one month ago
You dint get my question.. Think about the first part of my question.. If the answer is yes then there is a confusion for me..
Guru Prasath one month ago
what is field?
But in general , Field in basically a region in which a particluar influence acts, Could be electric, magnetic, gravitational. A particular object produces it’s field and when other objects ...
Neeti one year ago
Could you be a little more specific? Which field are you referring to? Electric? magnetic?
Neeti one year ago
what is the scope of GATE exam?
Gowher Maqbool one year ago
Why body with less mass cover distance with less interval of time than object with greater mass. When thrown horizontally
From Newton's Second law, F = ma the object with greater masss would have less acceeration and the object with smaller masss would have high acclrn. This is the basic reason.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
In a straight conductor of uniform crosss section charge q is flowing for time t. Let s be the specific charge of an electron. the momentum of all the free electrons per unit length of the...
@raghavendra I = nAeV d where n = no. of electrons per unit volume, A= area of cross section of the wire , e = charge of an electron , V d = drift velocity what we want is momentum per unit ...
venketep prasad m c 3 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts