• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

Describe me physical meaning of angular momentum

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student,

Ordinary momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to move at constant speed along a straight path. Momentum depends on speed and mass. A train moving at 20 mph has more momentum than a bicyclist moving at the same speed. A car colliding at 5 mph does not cause as much damage as that same car colliding at 60 mph. For things moving in straight lines momentum is simply mass × speed. In astronomy most things move in curved paths so we generalize the idea of momentum and have angular momentum. Angular momentum measures an object's tendency to continue to spin. An ``object'' can be either a single body or two or more bodies acting together as a single group.

angular momentum = mass × velocity × distance (from point object is spinning or orbiting around)

Very often in astronomy, the object (or group of objects) we're observing has no outside forces acting on it in a way to produce torques that would disturb the angular motion of the object (or group of objects). A torque is simply a force acting along a line that is off the object's spin axis. In these cases, we have conservation of angular momentum.

conservation of angular momentum---the total amount of angular momentum does not change with time no matter how the objects interact with one another.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Sagar Singh

B.Tech, IIT Delhi

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

A recording disc rotates steadily at 45 revolutions/min on a table. When a small mass 0.02 kg is dropped gently on the disc at a distance of 0.04 m from its axis and stucks to the disc, the...
From angular momentum conservation, I1 w1 = I2 w2 we get, (I)*45 = [(I) + 0.02*0.04*0.04]*36 Solving for I we get, 45I – 36I = 1.152 x 10^-3 I = 1.28 x 10^-3where I is the moment of inertia ...
2017 years ago
Hi Gaurang, I use the Android app, HashLearn, to get my doubts cleared by IIT tutors on HashLearn. You should definitely try it. :)
2 days ago
A body of mass m moves in a circular path with angular velocity. The motion of the body has constant Acceleration Velocity Momentum Kinetic energy Ans is kinetic energy could u plz explain...
yes it will have constant kinetic energy because the mass m is moving with angular velocity omega in a circular path as we know k.e. in circular path is 1/2*I*omega 2 therefore k.e. remins...
2017 years ago
Are angular velocity, angular displacement and angular accleration vector?? if yes then what is its direction?? If the answer is explained then it will be approved
Except angular displacement all are vectors. As the angular displacement failed to obey the rules and laws of vector addition.
Vikas TU one month ago
if angular velocity and accleration are ectors then what is their direction
Ankit Jaiswal one month ago
Angular velocity and angular acceleration are vectors . Direction is same as tangential velocity or acceleration , v tangential = r d(angular displacement) / d(time) which is a simple...
Manas Shukla one month ago
Find the current in the circuit!
Here identify the 5 main nodes and apply nodal analysis that means kcl there. Let it be v1 v2 v3 v4 and v5 volts respectively.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
what is electrification?
@ mohit rubbing of one part of body with other part is known as electrification by friction . or simply u can say charging of a body by rubbing witone anathor. example – when we rub our one ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Short circuit of battery questions? Where does resistances get short circuited?
When a short circuit occurs, electrical current experiences little or no resistance because its path has been diverted from its normal direction of flow. This, in turn, produces excess heat ...
dolly bhatia 2 months ago
@ rajashree what u need to understand in the case of short circuit is that – when a current in a circuit takes unintended path then its called short circuit . for example – suppose the two...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts