There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A bullet of mass 20g moving horizontally at a speed of 300m/s is fired into a wooden block of mass 500g suspended by a long string. the bullet crosses the block and emerges on the other side. if the centre of the mass of the block rises by 20cm, find the speed of the bullet as it emerges from the block.

(while conserving energy in the last step r we supposed to equate the potential energey possessed by the block and the K.E. imparted to it. bcoz i think both the energies should be equated with the KE. of the bullet but i didn't get the answer through that method. plz help by providing the sol. , if poss, and with suitable explanation)

5 years ago

Answers : (3)

The potential energy of the block is equal to the difference between the initial and final kinetic energies of the bullet..Solve and get the answer..

5 years ago

Mass of bullet = M = 20gm = 0.02kg.

Mass of wooden block M = 500gm = 0.5kg

Velocity of the bullet with which it strikes u = 300 m/sec.

Let the bullet emerges out with velocity V and the velocity of block = V'

As per law of conservation of momentum.

mu = Mv' +mu            .........(1)

Again applying work – energy principle for the block after the collision,

0 – (1/2) M × v'2 =-

Mgh (where h = 0.2m)

v'2 = 2gh

V' = (2gh)1/2 = 2m/s

Substituting the value of V' in the equation (1), we get\

0.02 × 300 = 0.5 × 2 + 0.2 × v

v= 250m/sec.

approve if u like my ans

5 years ago

equate the kinetic energy of the bullet after emerging from the block and potential  energy of the block at 20 cm to initial kinetic energy.........

5 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

a bullet of mass 100 gram moving with 20 m/s strikes a wooden plank and penetrates upto 20 cm calculate the resistance offered by the wooden plank
Resistance offered- F=ma ,where m=100g=0.1kg accl n is to be determined. v 2 =u 2 +as as bullet is stopped after 20 cm in plank v=0 ,u=20m/s ,s=20cm=0.2m On substituting 0 2 =20 2 +2a*0.2...
Paras Verma 3 months ago
I made a mistake v 2 =u 2 +2as though i wonder how did i manage to substitute properly Anyhow apologies for the mistake
Paras Verma 3 months ago
Answer this:There is a particle of mass m. It is taken from one point A to another point B in 3D space(in air), very slowly, under the action of two forces F and f. Determine wether the...
Determine wether the change in energy of particle is >0,
Remaining part:
A body is projected at an angle of 60° with the horizontal ground with kinetic energy k. When the velocity makes an angle 30° wIth the horizontal, the kinetic energy of the body will be...
H=u 2 sin 2 x/2g u 2 =H * 2g/sin 2 x BUT, KINETIC ENERGY ∝ u 2 ∝ 1/ sin 2 x Solve you will get. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Bejoi Mathew 2 months ago
Bejoi Mathew 2 months ago
Two point charges repels each other with a force F when placed in water of dielectric constant 81.what will the force between them when placed the same distance apart in air
If some dielectric is present in the space between the charges, the net force acting on each charge is altered becuse charges are induced in the molecules of the intervening medium the...
Aamina 3 months ago
in an experiment we have three beams arrenged in such a way that the three beams will meet at the same point, here my doubt is GPL is how to calculate mirrir to mirror or starting point to...
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
the question was asked recently at a test. please answer it asap.
Let the voltage at junction of capacitor, b/w 2 resistances, b/w 3 resistances and at the negative of E volt be x, E, V1 and 0 respectively. Apply KCl at all the nodes respectively. The...
Vikas TU 21 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts