There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A sphere is rolling without slipping on a rough surface..Is there is arrangement done which can nullify the effect of friction i.e. altough friction is there, no force due to ftiction acts on it while rolling?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

consider a sphere rolling on a frictious surface......

A force F is acting on the sphere horizontally ,r distance above the center of sphere....

friction force will be in foreward direction and let it be f  ..

now we have ,

f + F = ma...........1    (for translational motion)

F r- fR = I(angular accleration)     ,                      

(for rolling without slipping,      a=(angular accleration)R)

Fr - fR = Ia/R       (R is radius of sphere and I is moment of inertia of sphere)

or            Fr - fR= 2MaR/5                       (I for sphere is 2MR2 /5)

or            F  -  fR/r = 2MaR/5r ............2

eq 1 - eq 2 

f(1+R/r) = Ma(1-2R/5r)

f= Ma(1-2R/5r) /1+R/r   

now f = 0 when r =2R/5

therefore when a force acts on the sphere at a distance 2R/5 above the center then sphere friction force acting on the sphere will be zero.......

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

a particle of mass 100gm is made to describe a vertical circle of 1m. its instantaneous speed is 1m/s when the string makes an angle of 30 degree with the vertical. find the tension in the...
mass = 0.1 kg drawing the fbd at that instant,we get the following equation, T-mgcos30=mv 2 /r because this only provides the centripetal force. and here v is the instantaneous speed of the ...
Piyush Behera 9 days ago
Please solve the attached questions with steps. Thanks in advance. Can you please guide me how to solve projectile motion problems and circular motion problem accurately
First of all the answer to the above question is option d and not option c as stated by komali. -.-‘ Now, For projectile motion problems Always resolve motion in two directions , x and y...
Manas Shukla 4 days ago
the answer is 50m/s and it is surely correct no need to worry about it and proceed please and steps are as follows
komali 5 days ago
A ball is dropped from top of the building.The ball takes 0.5s to fall past 3m of a window some distance fro the top of the building. If the speedof the ball at top and bottom of the vindow ...
Let initial velocity at top of window be 'u' and velocity at bottom be ' v' Use S = ut + 1/2at2 where u is initial velocity a =g(10) t =0.5 S =3 ,. We get value of u as 3.5m/S. Now use v =...
Aman 2 months ago
V 2 -U 2 =2g(3) also, V=U+g(0.5) i.e V-U=0.5g (V+U)(V-U)=6g (V+U)(0.5g)=6g V+U=12,U-V=-4.9, Q. Must be modified as, A ball is dropped from top of the building.The ball takes 0.5s to fall...
Pranav Dabhade 2 months ago
What are the units of magnetic moment, magnetic induction and magnetic field
Magnetic moment - Am2(ampere per meter square) Magnetic induction - Tesla(1 gauss = 10 -4 tesla Magnetic field – Tesla
KALYAN 10 months ago
what is modern physics?.tell me brieflt about for eletric circuit???
physics is branch of science its deals with the science. now a days physics is called physics is called modern.
T.kumar 9 months ago
dear chetan..Modern physics is an effort to understand the underlying processes of the interactions of matter utilizing the tools of science & engineering. It implies that nineteenth century...
mohan 9 months ago
hi chethan modern physics means physics based on the two major break throughs of the early the twentieth century relativity and quantum mechanics.physics based on what was known before then ...
manichandra 9 months ago
A body travel the first 1/2 of the total distance with velocity v1 and second 1/2 with velocity v2. Calculated the A.V?
There is a formula 2/V avg =1/v 1 +1/v 2 Actually the question is indirectly asking the proof of this. To calculate assume that the total distance be 2s. during the first half ,time...
Piyush Behera 8 days ago
Let total distance be s. Velocity to travel distance s/2
Mudit one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off