When a particle moves with constant velocity, its average velocity, its instantaneous velocity and its speed are equal. Comment on this statement.

When a particle moves with constant velocity, its average velocity, its instantaneous velocity and its speed are equal. Comment on this statement.

Grade:12

6 Answers

Mukul Shukla
40 Points
13 years ago

This acording to me is very true. If velocity is always constant then it will be the same at every instant ie instantaneous velocity is same and also if it is constant then there is no question of average velocity changing. Also if velocity is constant its modulus or speed is also constant.

Abhinav Verma
20 Points
6 years ago
Surpriseaparteif the particle covers a circular path with some speed(because of some 2πR distance in time) .but the displacement is zero. Then veolcity and average velocity is also zero. But instantaneous velocity at each points in circular path is equals in magnitude to the speed but it is not zero.So the given statement should be wrong.
Abhinav Verma
20 Points
6 years ago
My friends that answer starting with word "surpriseaparteif" is totally wrong the first answer is 100% OK and you can believe on this site-askiitians
Ashwani Kumar Tripathi
11 Points
5 years ago
When a particle is moving with constant velocity then its magnitude and direction both are not changing means particle must travel in straight line. Also when particle is moving in straight line with no acceleration then distance covered and displacement both will be same in same interval of time. Hence average velocity and average speed both will be sameas average velocity =( net displacement)/time And average speed= (total distance)/time.Instantaneous velocity will be same as velocity is not changing anywhere.Hence according to me this statement is very true.
Ujjawal
13 Points
4 years ago
In this question it is not mentioned that the particle is moving in a straight line with constant velocity.So it may be in one condition particle is moving in a circular path with constant velocity.Then after one revolution displacement of particle will be 0.And so it's average velocity will must be 0 but instantaneous velocity and speed will not equal to 0. so this statement is false in my opinion.
Brajendra Singh
13 Points
4 years ago
4th answer is absolutely correct. Some friends mentioned circular motion which is not relevant to the question because velocity can't remain constant as direction changes at each point on circle. 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free