A bomb at rest explodes into three fragments of equal masses.Two fragments fly off at right angles to each other with velocity 9m/s and 12m/s.Calculate the speed of the third fragment. Please answer this question.I tried to find out by two ways.By using concept of vectors answer came was 15m/s but by using momentum I got 21m/s.Which one is correct?Or both are wrong?Please provide a full solution and if any of my answer is correct then don't give full solution.

A bomb at rest explodes into three fragments of equal masses.Two fragments fly off at right angles to each other with velocity 9m/s and 12m/s.Calculate the speed of the third fragment.

Please answer this question.I tried to find out by two ways.By using concept of vectors answer came was 15m/s but by using momentum I got 21m/s.Which one is correct?Or both are wrong?Please provide a full solution and if any of my answer is correct then don't give full solution.

Grade:11

2 Answers

Anil Pannikar AskiitiansExpert-IITB
85 Points
13 years ago

Dear Nitin,

Correct answer is 15 in both cases. use conservation of momentum in x and y direction separatly and find the angle

the 3rd partical makes with axis. Then u can easily substitue in any of the 2 eq. to find out the answer.

Please feel free to ask your queries here. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Now you score 5+15 POINTS by uploading your Pic and Downloading the Askiitians Toolbar  respectively : Click here to download the toolbar..

Askiitians Expert

Anil Pannikar

Nitin Gupta
16 Points
13 years ago

Thanks

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free