There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

A billiard ball initially at rest is given a sharp impules by a cue. The cue is held horizontally at a distance h above the centre line as in figure. The ball leaves the cue with a speed v and eventually acquires a speed 9/7 v. Show that h=4R/5, where R is the radius of the ball.

My attempt-

The friction force acts in the direction of motion as angular velocity is greater than linear speed (backward slipping occurs).

considering rotation about central axis,
fR=I(alpha) where (alpha) is the angular acceleration.
I can get 2 equations relating linear speed at time t and angular speed at time t.

But I don't know how to relate impulse with speed of the ball.
I also wanted to ask that if we consider rotation about the point of contact, there is no torque acting on the sphere. How do we proceed this way?

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

linear impulse is integral of force w.r.t. time. it is equal to change in linear momentum. Angular impulse =

r X linear impulse =change in angular momentum

these two conditions will lead to the required equations

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

In a horizontal circular motion is mg taken into consideration?
Well , in horizontal motion most of the times force mg is balanced by normal reaction. This normal reaction is mostly perpendicular to centripetal force so it doesnt play any role. But if...
Manas Shukla 6 days ago
Yes it is taken into consideration. All the forces acting on the body are taken into consideration when solving any type of problem unless stated otherwise.
Manas Shukla 9 days ago
So do you mean that mg is always taken into consideration? Both in vertical and horizontal circular motions???
Arin Som 9 days ago
In how much time will my question get answered??can you please reply and give me the correct answer?
Hai student, Your questiions will be answered as soon as possible. Ask your subject doubts to get clarified at AskIITians.
Dr.Adam Shaik 2 days ago
Is it possible for a particle to describe a curved path if no force acts on it? Does your answer depend on the frame of reference chosen to view the particle ?
Actually particle CAN move without applying force depending on your frame of reference. Though we still use “pseudo-force” or ficticious forces to balance out the motion. Accelerated frames ...
Manas Shukla 5 days ago
NO particle can follow a curved path if there is no external force . this is a newton law -particle move in a straight line untill an extenal force act on it . so for a curved path external ...
prateek 5 days ago
What is HUYGENS principle?and explain with your own words??????????????????????/
Gowri sankar,Huygen’s principle states that it is a method of analysis applied to problems of wave propagation both in the far field limit and near field limit.
SAI SARDAR 9 months ago
Hello Gowri The Huygens -Fresnel principle states that every point on a wavefront is a source of wavelets. These wavelets spread out in the forward direction, at the same speed as the...
Gaddam Chethan 9 months ago
hellow gowrishankarThe Huygens–Fresnel principle (named after Dutch physicist Christiaan Huygens and French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel) is a method of analysis applied to problems of...
raj 9 months ago
What is the difference between a spherical shell and a sphere?
A spherical shell is a hollow body which can be conducting or non conducting and a sphere is a solid body which can be either conducting or non conducting...
H AGGARWAL 9 months ago
A spherical shell is the region between two concentric spheres of differing radii and A sphere with every point on its surface equidistant from its centre .
ajay 9 months ago
vaishnavi s 9 months ago
Why positive terminal of emf is connevted with positive terminal of battery in case of potentiometer
In that case the galvanometer reading would never be zero . So positive terminal of emf should be connevted with positive terminal of battery .
Vikas TU 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts