There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

The acceleration 'a' of the supporting surface required to keep the centre G of the circular cylinder in a fixed position during the motion, if there is no slipping between the cylinder and the support will be?

The torque acting about the point of contact of cylinder and surface is equal to the product of angular acceleration and moment of inertia about the point of contact.
observing from the frame of the supporting surface, a pseudo force ma acts up the incline plane.

(mgsin(theta) -ma) x radius=(3mr^2)/2 x a [ I about the point of contact is (3mr^2)/2 ]
on solving, a=2gsin(theta)/5

but the answer is 2gsin(theta).
Please help.

6 years ago

Answers : (2)

Dear student,

You have the wrong direction for the pseudo force.Think of it this way. If the surface didn't move, the cylinder would roll down the incline. There's a certain friction force acting up the plane that causes it to roll.

To make the center of gravity stationary, we need to increase that friction force. We do that by pulling the surface upwards, dragging the cylinder surface along. We're not trying to stop the cylinder from rotating, just from translating.

We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

All the best.

If you like this answer please approve it....

win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum

Sagar Singh

B.Tech IIT Delhi

6 years ago

the cylinder is rolling over the surface without slipping and the centre 'G' does not move ....

that means the surface should also move in opp. direction of the cylinder and with the same acc. as the cylinder.

now the eqn.

torque equaton         .....     (mg X r)=I*alpha               { ...alpha=ang. acceleration}

=> mg*r*sin(theta)=m(r^2)/2*alpha     { you should take I of the center & not from the point of contact}

its given pure   a=alpha*r

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

Four particles A,B,C and D of equal mass move with equal speed v along the diagonals of a square in a horizontal plane. After the collision, A comes to rest while B and C retrace their...
Conserve the momentum in x-direction and y-direction for each masses respectively. And U would get the relation. In x direcn. the Vd = 2v i cap. find similarly in y-direcn.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Can you please solve the question fully and post the answer? ….........................................................................................
Divya one month ago
In a circus the diameter of the globe of death is 20m. From what minimum height must a cyclist start in order to go round the globe vertically? Please provide solution
At highest point of globe of death , the energy equation will be Where R is the radius of the globe of death. We also know at highest point mototcyclist needs to cancel gravityto prevent...
Manas Shukla one month ago
h min =radius/2=5m. i hope iam correct. plz give reply. plz post such type of questions. have a nice day.
Gosula Madhukar one month ago
Please solve the attached questions with steps. Thanks in advance. Can you please guide me how to solve projectile motion problems and circular motion problem accurately
First of all the answer to the above question is option d and not option c as stated by komali. -.-‘ Now, For projectile motion problems Always resolve motion in two directions , x and y...
Manas Shukla 4 days ago
the answer is 50m/s and it is surely correct no need to worry about it and proceed please and steps are as follows
komali 5 days ago
write definition for Amplittude?
Every wave motion is defined by its mathematical equation. Maximum displacement of the wave is called as Amplitude.
Saurabh Kumar one year ago
The maximum displacement of then system fromeits equillibrium.
Gavvala Ganesh one year ago
Find the current in the circuit!
Here identify the 5 main nodes and apply nodal analysis that means kcl there. Let it be v1 v2 v3 v4 and v5 volts respectively.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Is cengage is Best Books for JEE preparation ? what are best books for doing problems?
@ vemulath yes , cengage are best choice for maths , but for other subject , donot foloow that . i am giving some recommendation for jee books below chemistry 1- physical by p . bahadur 2-...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Cengage contains good quality questions but the solutions they give in solved examples are not up to the mark,. for physics its good but lacks in chemistry.
shivesh singh 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts