There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

In order to stop a car in shortest distance on a horizontal road, how should one apply brakes? 

(a) apply the brakes very hard so that wheels stop rotating.

(b) apply the brakes hard enough to just prevent slipping

(c) pump the brakes( press and release)

(d) shut the engine off and not apply brakes.

I know the answer is (b). Please give a solution of it so as to why (b) is the answer.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear student ,

applying equaiton v2 = u2 +2as to the centre of mass of wheels ,  now in every case v and u are same .so to minimize s we need to maximise a . i.e force , retarding force i.e friction. so if we can apply static friction in opposite direction than it will be best possible option . which is (b)  as in rotating motion the velocity of lowermost point is zero and so friciton is static . in (a) friciton will be kinetic which is always leser than static.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can. We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE preparation.

Now you can win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum. So help discuss any query on askiitians forum and become an Elite Expert League askiitian.

Win exciting gifts by answering the questions on Discussion Forum..

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

sir what is the simplest way to solve laws of motion
@ akshay there are many problemswhich are associated with laws of motion chapter . like pulley poroblem , relative velocity proble , etc … so, which problem u want to explain me as a...
Umakant biswal one month ago
SSorry, but your question is something bewildered. Did U mean by laws of eqn.? if that is then u must knoq that the three newton's laws of eqns. are used to solve the problems related to...
Vikas TU one month ago
sir ,can you please explain me the TENSION TRICK with digrams and examples??
U can remmebr this directly for wedge problem, anet = (g – a)/(g + a) T = manet => m* (g – a)/(g + a) N.
2017 years ago
A taxi leaves the station X for station y every 10 minutes .simultaneously , a taxi leaves the station Y also for station X for every 10 minutes. the taxi moves at the same constant speed...
and 25 if u are considering the taxis that our taxi meet on the station X and Y thanks plz approve if u found this helpful
Ankit Jaiswal one month ago
Hi I don’t know that we have to consider the taxi that our taxi will meet on the end points of its journey(that is station X amd Y). so here i am taking that we don’t have to consider those ...
Ankit Jaiswal one month ago
Sir,can you please give me a proper link to download ebook of hc verma vol.2?
@ yogesh i am sorry , there is no links avaliable here , i request you to buy a copy from the market , its cheap enough . else check it on a second hand book store if avaliable in your city ...
Umakant biswal 19 days ago
a proton enters a magneticfield of flux densitsy 1.5T with a velocity of 20x10 7 ms at an angle 30 with the field the force on the proton is
Force in a magnetic field equals the cross product of velocity and B vector multiplied by charge. Flux density is the magnetic field. Apply the formula F=q (v×B) which is qvb sin30....
Kriti Agrawal 2 months ago
A particle of charge q and mass m is moving in an electric field (a)must undergo change in velocity (b)must undergo change in speed (c)may not undergo change in velocity (d)may not undergo...
Forces actinng on the charge, qE = ma a = qE/m Thus it would have an accelration therfore velocity could change. options seems correct one.
Vikas TU 25 days ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts