Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

Dear experts,

While going through Resnik & Halliday's book on Physics, I found the free fall acceleration section a bit confusing. We had been taught in earlier classes(at school) that the value of "g" for equations of uniformly accelerated motion would depend on the object going upward or downward. An object going upward would have a negative g, and one downward a positive g.

But in the book, they have explained that the value of g is always taken negative(g = -9.8 m/s2). They say that the correct way to interpret the sign of acceleration is that if the signs of acceleration and velocity match, the speed of a particle increases and if they differ, speed decreases. Which convention am I supposed to follow??

7 years ago

Answers : (3)

See basically what is important is to understand that

so direction of force is the same as direction of accln and direction of accln is same as that of "change in velocity".But direction of accln and velocity need not be the same.If it is then the body is under accln and if it is opposite  then it is retardation.

And since gravitational force acts towards center of the earth , so it is better to take the direction of accln as downward and accordingly your sign scheme works.

7 years ago

Ahh I understand. They also did mention a coordinate Y axis. So since g is always downward, it will be taken negative. Thanks for the help!

7 years ago

Dear Pritish,

follow wat had been taught to  u coz it had been the convention u had been following from school. 

also wat matters is whether u got correct ans or not ,its not about d sign convention(even in geometrical optics u will hav 2 diff sign conv) 

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

What is elastic limit, elastic constant amd modulus of elasticity? Plz explain in simple words.
@ anirudh ELASTIC LIMIT – the maximum extent to which a solid may be stretched without permananet alteration of size and shape . ELASTIC CONSTANT = diffrent types of stresses and their...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Modulus of elasticity: The ratio of stress and strain is called modulus of elasticity. Elastic limit: The point in a stress vs strain graph after which the body does not regain its original ...
Elton one month ago
A truck travelling along a straight road with a constant speed of 72 km/hr passes a 0 moving much slower. At the instant the truck passes the car, the car at time t car starts accelerating...
Or otherwise, let the initial velocity of the car be u. The velocity of truck, . V T = 20 m/s. Let the car takes over the truck after t seconds In this time, Distance travelled by truck, S...
Shaswata Biswas one month ago
Since in the question it is not mentioned about the initial velocity of the car, let it be at rest. The velocity of truck, . V T = 20 m/s. Let the meet after t seconds. Initial velocity of...
Shaswata Biswas one month ago
a car of mas 1000kg moving with a speed 18km/h on a smooth road and colliding with a horizontally mounted spring of spring constant 6.25x10 cube. wht is thw max compression of the spring?
Just equate the energy. 18 km/hr = 5 m/s Energy of car = = 25000/2 Energy of spring = Equating we get = 2 m
Manas Shukla 8 days ago
What are the units of magnetic moment, magnetic induction and magnetic field
Magnetic moment - Am2(ampere per meter square) Magnetic induction - Tesla(1 gauss = 10 -4 tesla Magnetic field – Tesla
KALYAN 10 months ago
I’m bad at geometry and it’s application. Keeping in mind that geometrical application is what optics consists of. How should I practice and improve on my problem solving reasoning power?
@ prakriti what u need to understand is that optics consists of simple application of geometry , and for that just u need some besic concept to be cleared . so, start optics chapter with h...
Umakant biswal 14 days ago
all u need is to learn basics . if your basics are not clear no one can help. i m also a student . i can understand ur problem. i suggest u to start with ease. so use s.l.arora or modern...
prateek 3 days ago
Can you provide e with all the answers of dc pandey of volume1 of class 11
@ amarjyoti i am sorry , its not possible for me to provide all the answer of the dc pandey here , so, kindly tell me if u are facing problem in any perticular ques . then i can explain...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts