There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 560 off

What should be the maximum average velocity in a tube of diameter 2.0 cm so that the flow is laminar? The viscosity of water is 0.001N/s2.

I am not understanding how do i start this question.

Thank you for your help.

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

The formula is

\mathrm{Re} = {{\rho {\bold \mathrm V} D} \over {\mu}} = {{{\bold \mathrm V} D} \over {\nu}} = {{{\bold \mathrm Q} D} \over {\nu}A}

• {\bold \mathrm V} is the mean fluid velocity (SI units: m/s)

• L is a characteristic linear dimension, (traveled length of fluid, or hydraulic radius when dealing with river systems) (m)

• μ is the dynamic viscosity of the fluid (Pa·s or N·s/m² or kg/m·s)

• ν is the kinematic viscosity (ν = μ / ρ) (m²/s)

• {\rho}\, is the density of the fluid (kg/m³)

• Q is the volumetric flow rate (m³/s)

• A is the pipe cross-sectional area (m²).

• D is the hydraulic diameter of the pipe (m).

• Here the formula used is (1)

When the Reynolds number is less than 2000, flow will be described as laminar
    When the Reynolds number is greater than 4000, flow will be described as turbulent
    When the Reynolds number is in the range of 2000 to 4000 the flow is considered transitional

So we have

2000 = 103 (v) 2*10-2/0.001

=> v = 0.1 m/s

Note density of water = 103 kg/m3

Anurag Kishore

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Mechanics

a body is moving with a velocity of 20m/s and another small object at rest undergo an elastic collision . The latter move with a velocity of
    Hi Sankalp, I use the Android app, HashLearn, to get my doubts cleared by IIT tutors on HashLearn. You should definitely try it. :)
    Ankit 6 days ago
    why& when do we use vector form?? what is meant by retardition??
    @ RAM if the velocity of the object decrease in the same direction , the object has a retradation . it also called as negative acceleration and retradation . or u can simply tell it is -ve...
    Umakant biswal one month ago
    We use vector forms when cases are direction dependent.Means direction is important while considering the quantities. e.g ; velocity,acceleration etc. Retardation,again,means acceleration...
    Divyanshu Rathore one month ago
    a smooth rod of length kept inside a trolly at an angle theeta .whst should be the acceleration a of
    Saurabh Kumar 3 months ago
    @ eswar your question seems incomplete , so, kindly retype the question and post it again . we cannot find out the acceleration if we knows tye angle of inclination and there will be more...
    Umakant biswal 3 months ago
    In speed of transverse wave F is called as restoring force why it is called so tell me?
    Dear Prabhakar, In Speed of transverse wave F is called restoring force because in string only restorng force is there and not other forces in string thats why F is called restoring force.
    SAI SARDAR 10 months ago
    hi prabhakr....... restoring forcce is function only of position of the mass or is always directed back towards the equillibrium position of the system.the restoring force is...
    mohan 9 months ago
    transver waves from the string in this string consists of atoms these atoms have inter atomic force when we can extended the string it comes its own position so it is called restorong...
    sreekanth sree 9 months ago
    The coefficient of mutual inductance of two circuits A and B is 3 milli Henry and theri respective resistances are 10 ohm and 4 ohm. How much current should change in 0.02 seconds in...
    write kvl for the circuit. - Mdi/dt – iR1 = 0 integerating both sides, .i.e. Mdi/dt = -i*10 or 0.03* di/dt = -10i di/i = -1000dt/3 logi = -1000t/3 + c write simlar for B coil and eliminate...
    Vikas TU 2 months ago
    two rods of lengths l 1 and l 2 are made of materials whose co-efficient of linear expansion are a 1 an a 2. ​If the increase in length be same at all temperatures then (i) l 1 / l 2= a 1...
    answer is (ii). it is given that change in length is same for both rods. now, here, red coloured l, a represents the l 1 and a 1 and green coloured represents l 2 and a 2 and it is given...
    arun 7 months ago
    View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
    • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
    • View Details
    Get extra R 520 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
    • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
    • View Details

Get extra R 560 off

More Questions On Mechanics

Ask Experts