There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details
Get extra R 700 off

a hypothetical magnetic field existing in a region is given by vector,where er denotes unit vector along the radial direction.a

circular loop of radius a,carrying a current i,is placed with its plane parallel to X-Y plane and the center at (0,0,d).find the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the loop.

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

If you could visualize the above problem pictorially then it's quite easy to understand.

The magnetic field is radially outward here & the current loop intersect these magnetic lines in such a way that all these lines together with loop make an inverted right cylindrical cone with vertex at origin and height being 'd' & radius being 'a'.

Now if you could grasp the above then it's cakewalk now.For each infinitesimal length 'dl' of loop(around at each point) the magnetic field lines intersect it at angle 'x' with Z-axis here with "tanx=a/d".

Now Z-component of the field is perpendicular to loop at each point.If you apply right hand rule to this the resulting force will be either radially inward on the loop or outward correspondingly for both possible directions(clockwise & anticlockwise as you see the loop from origin) of current 'i'.

Due to circular symmetry of force here there will be no net force on the loop due to Z-component of magnetic field.

Now consider the other component of field at each point.It is radially outward at each point so perpendicular to 'idl'.Applying right hand rule will give force in the Z-direaction.Value of field is 'Bcosx'.

Now seeing from origin if current is:

1.)Clockwise then force will be towards origin or in the (-ve) Z-direction .

2.)Anti-clockwise then force will be away from origin or in the (+ve) Z-direction.

At each 'dF' will simply add up to give magnitude of the net force F=i(2¶a)Bcosx=2¶Bi[a*d/(a2+d2)1/2]

As i say earlier the 3-D view of the problem here will just show you how trivial it is.But yes it could also be solved analytically using rigorous vector algebra where you have to work in cylindrical co-ordinate system.I would always prefer above method because that is what physics is all about.......visualizing!!!

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Magnetism

what is magnetism?what are the properties of manetism mention its uses.
Magnetism is the force where objects are attracted or repelled to one another. Usually these objects are metals such as iron. Magnetic Poles, Forces, and Fields. Every magnet has two poles. ...
Prabhakar ch 6 months ago
magnetism is the phenomenon related to magnets by virtue of which they repel or attract substances magnetic in nature.PLZ APPROVE
Nikhil Upadhyay 6 months ago
What is meant by Cyclotrone??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Dear Kumar A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator invented by Ernest O. Lawrence in 1932 in which charged particles accelerate outwards from the centre along a spiral path. The...
Prabhakar ch 9 months ago
cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator invented by Ernest O. Lawrence in 1932 in which charged particles accelerate outwards from the centre along a spiral path. A cyclotron is a type...
ULFAT 7 months ago
what is the magnetism?
A magnetic field is generated when electric charge carriers such as electrons move through space or within an electrical conductor. The geometric shapes of the magnetic flux lines produced...
KARTHIK one year ago
Magnetism is a class of physical phenomena that are mediated by magnetic fields. Electric currents and the magnetic moments of elementary particles give rise to a magnetic field, which acts ...
SHANMUKESHWAR one year ago
J Magnetism is one aspect of the combined electromagnetic force. It refers to physical phenomena arising from the force caused by magnets, objects that produce fields that attract or repel...
KARTHIK one year ago
What is the frequency range of line - of - sight communication?
The frequency range of line - of - sight communication is frequencies of above 40MHz. Hope you understand my solution. Please approve only if my answer is correcrt.
Adarsh 2 months ago
insulators have no free electrons.How they are getting charged by friction?
I;m rele sorry that noone has answered this question since 5 days but herz the answer. When u apply friction, the heat generated will provide enery to the atoms to excite the electrons to...
Ajay Raj Nelapudi 6 months ago
yes ….there is a logic....but...I think electric force between nucleus and electron is much stronger due to small distance between heat energy overcome this......
AJAH BRAHM 6 months ago
The sum of magnitudes of two forces acting at a point is 16N. If the resultant force is 8N and its direction is perpendicular to smaller force,then the forces are:- (A)6N and 10N, (B)8N and...
Let the force be A and B, then the given condittions are: |A| + |B| = 16.......................(1) and |A|^2 + |B|^2 + 2ABcosthetha = 64..........................(2) and let B be the...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
A(vector)+B(vector)=R(vector) |A|+|B|=16 Since resultant is perpendicular to smaller force R*R+A*A=B*B (Traingle Law of Addition and PYTHAGORES theor m) 64+ A*A=B*B Option a satisfies this...
Atin Vikram Singh 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete Physics Course - Class 12
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,600
  • View Details
Get extra R 650 off

• Complete Physics Course - Class 11
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 2,800
  • View Details

Get extra R 700 off

More Questions On Magnetism

Ask Experts