Which of the following is not true for PCl 5 (a)Its three P-Cl bond lenghts are equal (b)It involves sp 3 d hybridization. (c)It has regular geometry. (d)Its shape is trigonal bipyramidal. Explain.

Which of the following is not true for PCl5
(a)Its three P-Cl bond lenghts are  equal
(b)It involves sp3d hybridization.
(c)It has regular geometry.
(d)Its shape is trigonal bipyramidal.
Explain.

Grade:12

3 Answers

Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ mudit 
option no a turns out to be the correct answer , as in pcl5 , all the bonds are not equal while 3 of them are equal and the rest 2 p-cl bonds are actually greater than these 3 . 
and all the rest things are true . 
here p atom undergo sp3d hybridisation and form 5 equivalent sp3d orbitals, each contaisn an unpair electrons . 
the geometry of its is also regular and its trigonal pyramidal structure by overlapping of orbitals . 
HOPE IT CLEARS YOUR DOUBT 
ALL THE BEST ..
Mudit
67 Points
7 years ago
THe answwer given in book is ©.I think it is incorrect but want to make it sure so waiting for more answers.

Umakant biswal
5349 Points
7 years ago
@ mudit 
i am sorry , all the four statement  are actually correct , so, none of them will be false . 
in the frst statement it state that – 3 of the bonds are equal – thats true ,. three horizontal bonds are equal . 
and its hybridisation is trigonal bipyramidal ( wrongly i mentioned pyramidal ) ,, so, 2 axial and 3 horizontal bonds are equal . 
it have sp3d hybridisation , thats also correct . 
and when u will view it in 3d , the angle between axial bond is 120 degreee ,each . 
and the angle between horizontal and axial is 90 degree . 
so, the geometry is regular . 
SO, ALL THE 4 STATEMENT ARE CORRECT . 
HOPE ITS NOW CLEAR . 

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free