where is nitrogen and oxygen family

where is nitrogen and oxygen family

Grade:12

3 Answers

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya
521 Points
8 years ago

nitrogen family

PLEASE   ..... if    u   like  my  answer  and  my  answer   is  use  full    for  you  so please   just click on approve  button  ...and  if  you  have  any  other  question   or  dought     keep asking

Gayatri Jayesh Bondriya
521 Points
8 years ago

Oxygen Family

About the Group
Group 16 is the oxygen family. It consists of the elements oxygen, sulfur, selenium, tellurium, and polonium. Each has six of the desired eight electrons required for the octet in its highest energy level. This means that it takes or accepts two electrons from atoms of other elements to form anions or shares two electrons to form covalent bonds.

Chemical Properties
Oxygen and sulfur are common elements. In fact, oxygen is the most common element (by mass) in the earth's crust. Because oxygen is second in electronegativity only to fluorine, it reacts with almost everything to form compounds here on earth. Selenium has some semimetal characteristics, such as an increase in electrical conductivity when a light is shined on it. Tellurium is a true semimetal, existing in compound with both positive and negative charges. Polonium is an extremely rare radioactive element discovered by Marie Curie and named for her native Poland. This means that the oxygen family is split between nonmetals and semimetals.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PLEASE   ..... if    u   like  my  answer  and  my  answer   is  use  full    for  you  so please   just click on approve  button  ...and  if  you  have  any  other  question   or  dought     keep asking
Prateek Mittal
33 Points
8 years ago
Nitrogen family is basically 15th group in modern periodic table, 15th group consists of following elements, they  are also referred to as pnicogens(poison)

nitrogen(N), phosphorus(P), arsenic(As), antimony(Sb), bismuth(Bi).

their oxidation state can vary from -3 to +5. 

they all have 3 e- in their outermost subshell. 

general configuration. ns2np3.

However the 16th group in periodic table is referred to as oxygen family. which consists of the elements, oxygen, sulphur, selenium, tellurium, polonium, however polonium is radioactive. they are also referred to as chalcogens which means ore producing.

their oxidation state can vary from -2  to +6.

general electronic configuration: ns2np6.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free