Today, I studied slater's rules for calculating the effective nuclear charge. But, one particular line " The shielding power of the d and f orbital is lesser in comparison to the p and s orbitals" seems to appear in every single book and website I have studied from. Slater's rules does not take into account the orbitals for calculation of . Nevertheless, I don't disagree with the logic behind the statement. Thus, my question is: Do slater's rules actually account for this logic? If they don't, is it faulty?

Today, I studied slater's rules for calculating the effective nuclear charge. But, one particular line " The shielding power of the d and f orbital is lesser in comparison to the p and s orbitals" seems to appear in every single book and website I have studied from. Slater's rules does not take into account the orbitals for calculation of . Nevertheless, I don't disagree with the logic behind the statement. Thus, my question is: Do slater's rules actually account for this logic? If they don't, is it faulty?

Grade:11

1 Answers

Ramreddy IIT Patna
askIITians Faculty 49 Points
9 years ago
Yes, Slater's rules does not take into account the orbitals for calculation of effective nuclear charge it takes the penultimate and pre penultimate shells for Zeff calculation.
slater's rules actually do not account for this logic. Slater’s rules only provide the numerical value of Zeff.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free