can sum1 explain me what why will be the structure of Cu(Cl)2- complex be ..with reasons.

can sum1 explain me what why will be the structure of Cu(Cl)2- complex be ..with reasons.

Grade:12

2 Answers

Saurabh Kumar
askIITians Faculty 2400 Points
9 years ago
Copper(II) chloride is the chemical compound with the chemical formula CuCl2. This is a light brown solid, which slowly absorbs moisture to form a blue-green dihydrate. The copper(II) chlorides are some of the most common copper(II) compounds, after copper sulfate.
Anhydrous CuCl2 adopts a distorted cadmium iodide structure. In this motif, the copper centers are octahedral. Most copper(II) compounds exhibit distortions from idealized octahedral geometry due to the Jahn-Teller effect, which in this case describes the localization of one d-electron into a molecular orbital that is strongly antibonding with respect to a pair of chloride ligands. In CuCl2·2H2O, the copper again adopts a highly distorted octahedral geometry, the Cu(II) centers being surrounded by two water ligands and four chloride ligands, which bridge asymmetrically to other Cu centers.
245-1554_mnmnmnm.jpg
sameer gupta
18 Points
9 years ago
But in prabhat kumar it was given that since cl is a weak ligand it cannot pair up the electrons and the structure will be TETRAHEDRAL .can u please explain me in terms of VBT i.e. hybridisation elactronic configuration....etc.

Think You Can Provide A Better Answer ?

ASK QUESTION

Get your questions answered by the expert for free