There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

Characteristics of Solids

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Characteristics of Solids: - we are quite familiar with some of the common properties of solids which distinguish them from other two states of matter. These are:-

(i)          Solids are rigid and have definite shapes.

(ii)         Solids have definite volume irrespective of the size or shape of the container in which they are places.

(iii)        Solids are almost incompressible.

(iv)       Many solids have a crystalline appearance and have definite pattern of angles and planes.

(v)         The density of solids is greater than that of gases and liquids.

(vi)       Solids diffuse very slowly as compared to liquids and gases.

(vii)      Most solids become liquids when heated. This process is known as melting and the temperature at which a solid change into liquid is called the melting point. The melting point depends upon the nature of the solid and melting points of solids vary widely.

All the above properties suggest that the particles constituting the solids (atoms, molecules or ions) occupy fixed positions. The properties of the solids not only depend upon the nature of the constituents but also on their arrangements.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Can you produce hydrogen from its isotopes. If yes then how
@ vipul No , hydrogen cannot be produced from its isotopes . there is no such techniques which can produce hydrogen from its isotopes . it can only be produced by chemical reaction as a bi...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Considering a Hydrogen atom, the proton is fixed in an inertial frame. The centripetal force is provided by Coloumb attraction. Radius is 5.3 * 10^-11 m. Mass is 9.1 * 10^-31 kg charge of...
see to find that just equate mv 2 /r =kq 1 q 2 /r 2. put the evalues of the expressions and get the result......
Piyush Behera 8 days ago
CO2 has the same geometry as: 1. HgCl2 2.NO2 3. SnCl4 4. C2H2
@ amisha option no 4 will turns out to be the correct option . so, C2H2 will be the answer here . in co2 the structure is linear and in c2h2 also the structure are linear , in co2 the bond...
Umakant biswal one month ago
C2H2 Because both the compounds have linear geometry due to SP hybridization.In NO2 due to 1 electron it has neither bent nor linear geometry.
Himanshu one month ago
what is the oxidation state of sulphur in H 2 S 2 O 8, Na 2 S 4 O 8 and Na 2 S 2 O 3.
@ bhavika in H2S2O8, since 2 oxygen is forming the peroxide linkage here , so, the o.n of sulpher will be +6 . and in the 2 nd case NA2S4O8 , in thaat case take sulpher o.n to be x after...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
You no longer have to wait desperately for someone to help resolve your doubt. You can chat with IITians live, 24/7 (even at 3AM!) and get your doubt resolved instantly. Try the HashLearn...
Ankit 3 months ago
u need to remember that which structure have peroxide linkage and which structure have not , there are only some exception with peroxide linkage , go through the ncert redox reaction...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
what are the total formulaes of atomic structure in bohr atumicc model
@ harshith your query are not clear , i guess u want to know about the formula related to the bohrs model of atom , if i am correct then below are the explanation and i am enlisting all the ...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
mvr=nh/2pi Kq 1 q 2 /r 2 =mv 2 /r Energy of electron=-13.6*Z 2 /n 2 eV Radius=0.529*n 2 /z A Velocity of electron=2.18*10 6 Z/n Rvolutions per sec =v/2r(pi) Time for one revolution=2r(pi)/v ...
Mudit 2 months ago
The no. of orientation in a shell of orbit no. 5 is
The number of orientation level is described my m values . So find it now by using it . But your question is no clear of what is 5 , so I have given you the concept , find it . HIt approve...
Drake one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn