Answers : (1)

Use of halogen acids Halogen acids can be used in three different forms

(1) Hydrofluoric Acid

(2)Hydrochloric Acid

(3) Hydrobromic Acid

(4) Hydroiodic Acid

(1) Hydrofluoric acid is used:-

a) In the manufacture of fluorine.

b) For removing silica from artificial graphite and other castings.

c) As an antiseptic in brewing industries.

d) For making fluorides. NaF is used as an insecticide. AIF3 is used in the extraction of aluminium. Fluorides of alkali metals and antimony are used as mordants in dyeing industry. UF6 is used for separation of U235 and U238 isotopes by diffusion method.

e) For etching glass, the glass surface to be etched is coated with paraffin wax, the design is scratched on glass through a knife on wax coating. The scratched portion is exposed to HF solution for few hours and marked accordingly. Now the wax is completely scratched off and glass surface is properly marked.

(2) Hydrochloric Acid:-

a) As a laboratory reagent.

b) For cleaning iron sheets during tin plating, soldering and galvanization.

c) In medicines.

d) In the preparation of chlorine, chlorides and aqua-regia.

e) For extraction of glue from animal tissues and bones.

(3) Hydrobromic Acid

a) As a laboratory reagent for preparing bromo derivatives of unsaturated organic compounds.

b) For making NaBr and KBr which are used as sedatives.

c) For making AgBr used in photography.

4) Hydroiodic Acid

a) As a reducing agent in organic chemistry.

b) For making KI which is used in medicines.

c) For making AgI which is used in photography.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

How can I find magnetic moment from chemical formula of a coordination compound
@ anjana mention the ques clearly , what exactly u want to know , i mean which chemical formula are mentioned , is that empirical or normal formula ?? u can find out the magnetic moment of...
Umakant biswal 5 days ago
For the reaction SnO2(s) + 2H2(g) = 2H2O(g) + Sn(l) at 900 K the equillibrium steam hydrogen mixture was found to be 40% H2 by volume. The Kp is(a) 1.15 (b) 2.25 (c) 7.75 (d) 10
In the reacn. SnO2(s) + 2H2(g) = 2H2O(g) + Sn(l) Since solid and liquid states compounds would not take part in Kc or Kp. Hence, from chemical eqn., SnO2(s) + 2H2(g) = 2H2O(g) + Sn(l) t=0 V ...
Vikas TU 7 days ago
Choose the correct ionization energy order for the given species: (A) O > S > S - > O - (B) F > F - > Cl - > Cl (C) O > O - >S - > S (D) F > Cl > Cl - > F -
I thinkthe answer ic (c)as Cl has highest IE.Therefore option(B) and (D) are ruled out. Again the IE decreses down the group and hence S should have less IE than O. Also as an electron...
Mudit 2 months ago
IN an experiment 500 ml of 0.01 M of kmno4 solution is added to 500 ml of KI solution in basic medium.The resultant solution was titrated with 0.015 M na2s2o3 solution using starch...
On reaction. KmnO4 will reduce to MnO2 and KI to I2. moles of Mn x v.f = moles of I2 x v.f 0.01*500 x 3 = mmoles x 1 millimoles = 15 mm. after then, the titration with Na2S2O3 , Na2S2O3 +...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
i am not getting the correct sorry i am really sorry my question was wrong ki has 0.1 M THEN HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO IT NOW
Iswarya Mahati 2 months ago
define IE1 and IE2 , why is IE1 > IE2 for a given atom ? discuss any four factors that affect IE of AN ELEMENT
@ deva ionisation energy or ionisation enthalpy is the enrgy required to remove the most loosely bound electron from an isolated gaseous atom . and IE1 , IE2 , these are the removal of...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Why does 3 degree alcohol give immediate turbidity with lucas reagent
Lucas reagent is a mixture of HCl and anhydrous ZnCl2 this reaction undergoes SN1 reaction and this reaction passes through the carbocation intermediate and tertiary carbication are stable...
Amay chugh one month ago
@ srilakshmi lucas reagent is hcl + anhydrous zncl2 . the reaction proceeds in sn1 mechanism , which depends upon carbocation stability . tertiary alcohol react almost immidietly as they...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn