There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

Fuming Nitric Acid

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Fuming Nitric Acid:- Fuming HNO3 contains dissolved NO2 in concentrated nitric acid. Its also obtained by distilling concentrated HNO3 with a little starch. Nitric acid is reduced by starch into NO2 which dissolves in the remaining acid to form fuming nitric acid.

Concentration of nitric acid:- Dilute nitric acid (50-60%) obtained by any to the method is concentrated by distillation till it forms a constant boiling mixture. This is the ordinary azcotropic HNO3 and 68% in strength. More concentrated HNO3 is produced by distilling the ordinary concentrated acid with concentrated sulphuric acid. The distillate is 98% HNO3. 100% HNO3 is obtained by cooling 98% HNO3 in a freezing mixture. The colourless crystals are taken out and melted to get 100% HNO3. Some times HNO3 obtained is brown yellow. To have colourless HNO3, either dry air is passed through it or some PbO2 is added. This helps in removal of dissolved oxides of N from HNO3 and colourless solution is obtained.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

2 moles of an ideal gas at 2 atm and 25 C are compressed isothermally to one third of its volume by an external pressure of 6 atm. calculate q, w and del u
At isothermmal del U = 0 . W = nRTln(Vf/Vi) = > -2R*298*ln(V/3V) => 57.75 JOULE. U = Q + W As U = 0 Q = -57.75 Joule.
Vikas TU 14 days ago
How to calculate equivalent weight in disproportionate reaction
@ mahima in the case of disproportion reaction u can calculate the equivalent weight by the calculation of n factor . and for finding the n factor , use the following formula 1/N= 1/n1 +...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Please provide all the formulaes used in Equilibrium chapter . I have gone through the study material thoroughly but not able to get what I needed. So please mention all the formulas used in...
@ sahil for formula u have to visit our revision notes section , not the study material section , and i am sure all of the formula will must be enlisted their . and just go through the...
2017 years ago
why carboxylic acid remove carbon di oxide from sodium bicarbonate but phenol does not?
phenol is acidic in nature , but not that muchj acidic to react with nahco3 . phenol are weakly acidic in nature . they turn blue litmus red and react with alkali metals and alkalies to...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
Phenol is a very weak acid as compared to carboxylic acid and it cannot react with a weak base like sodium bicarbonate
Amay chugh one month ago
Can someone the defintion(specific and direct) and differences between aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons?
Aliphatic compounds can be saturated, joined by single bonds (alkanes), or unsaturated, with double bonds (alkenes) or triple bonds (alkynes). Besides hydrogen, other elements can be bound...
Umakant biswal one month ago
Aliphatic hydrocarbon possess straight chains. And aromatic hydrocarbon contains a aromatic chain like a benzene ring
Biswajit dash one month ago
I have the honour to state that I have faced some problem with those question below: 1.which compound dissolves in water:alkene,alkyne,alkane,benzene. 2.why C 6 H 5 OH is more acidic than...
@ emon i am answering the 2 nd part of your question . c6h5oh is more acidic due to resonance stabilised phenoxide ion . on the other hand in the case of ch3oh neither ethanol nor ethoxide...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn