There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 280 off

Water Description

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Water is one of the most important compound of H and is readily available of all the chemicals. About three fourth of the earth surface is covered by water. It’s very much essential for life and two third of the human body is water. Because of its high dielectric constants and polar nature, water is an excellent solvent for polar and ionic substances. Most common physical state of water is liquid; however, it exists as solid (ice) below 0oC and gas (steam) above 100oC. Following are the natural sources of water.

i)             Rain water: - The purest form of natural water. Although the first few showers are not very pure s these are contaminated with dissolved impurities of gaseous oxides. But afterwards rain water is quite pure.

ii)           Sea water: - the impure from of water having about 3.5% of dissolved salts i.e. saline water and thus not fit for drinking purposes and domestic use.

iii)          Surface water: - streams, river water, lack water are the most important sources of water for all purposes.

iv)          The water usually carries many soluble impurities along with insoluble impurities as suspension and in colloidal state. Therefore purification of water is essential before its use.

The purification requires following major operations

i)             It is colour less, tasteless and odour less and poor conductor or current.

ii)           F.Pt. of pure water is 0oC and Is 100oC. Its maximum density is 1.0g/ml at 4oC.

iii)          It is a polar molecular and has V shaped structure showing sp3 hybridization i.e. tetrahedral with two positions occupied by lone pair of electrons.

iv)          Because of polar character and high dielectric constant, water is a good solvent for ionic and polar species.

v)           It has the tendency to associate and exists as associated molecule. It is the H-bonding in water which gives rise to higher specific heat, latent heat of fusion and latent heat of vaporization.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

How to check dipole moment procedudure of dipole moment in inorganic chemistry and what method to apply
@ rahul u can calculate the dipole moment of the molecules by the following formula u = q*l where u is the dipole moment q is the magntide of either charges and l is the dipole length HOPE...
Umakant biswal 11 days ago
for redox reaction Zn + NO 3 - = Zn 2+ + NH 4 + in basic medium, coefficient of Zn amd OH - in the balanced equation respectively are ?
Separate them into half reactions foirst and then balce it. Zn ------> Zn 2+ + 2e- AND NO3- ------> NH4+ + 3H2O NO3- + 10H+ +8e- ------> NH4+ + 3H2O In order to cancel the electrons add the ...
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Which book to refer for surface chemistry. ncert or any other reference book. this is urgent. With regards. Abhinav ojha
@ abhinav SURface chemistry chap donot have very good weightage in any competetive exams , but for 12 th boards they are quite imp . so, for that frst of all ncert is more than enough for...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
First of all refer to your NCERT textbook and clear your concpets. Then for practise you can best go for Pradeep’s Chemistry for all types of questions and p.bahadur for numericals which...
Shreyas Patil 2 months ago
Why cold condition is maintained while preparing benzenediazonium chloride from aniline?
In cold solution the nitrogen gas gets off and furst pre-oproduct formed is some oily type product called oily droplets of iodobenzene.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
Benzene diazonium chloride decomposes very fast so to minimize its decomposition reaction is taken out at low temperature
Amay chugh 2 months ago
Electronic transistion in He + ion takes place from n 1 to n 2 shell such that: 2n 2 +3n 1 =18 2 n 2 -3n1=6 What will be the totalno. of photons emitted when electron transit to n1 shell?
Dear Mudit, Remmeber these two formulaes: 1) Maximum no. of photons they eemits if they return to ground state is: n(n-1)/2 2) And for n2 to n1 level, formmulae is: (n2-n1)(n2-n1+1)/2 gives ...
Vikas TU 3 months ago
By solving I got n1=2 and n2=6 By applying the formula I got the answer 1 while the answer given in book is 10. So help me out with this.
Mudit 3 months ago
Solve both the eqns. and get the value of n1 and n2. Then to know total number of photons to n1 state, Apply the fomulae: n1(n1-1)/2
Vikas TU 3 months ago
Which Reference Book Is best for Organic Chemistry for 1 st year
Arihant organic chemistry or u can use study materials of akash or allen they provide excellent basics
Biswajit dash one month ago
@ anirudh if u have 2 year left for jee , then go with organic chemistry by morrision and boyd . but at first make sure , u did ncert properly , as they have a good explanation in mechanism ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,000 off

Get extra R 280 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn