Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

what is inert pair effect. Pls explain its application

6 years ago

Answers : (1)

Dear twesh

"It is the reluctance of s-electrons of the valence shell to participate in bonding." This effect becomes more pronounced towards the bottom of each group of the p-block element

The inert pair effect is nothing but the extra stability concept. Generally p-block elements belonging to 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A, etc. show variable valency. For example, Sn element of group 4A shows +4 and +2 oxidation state. The higher oxidation state is called the group number oxidation state and +2 oxidation state is called the lower oxidation state which is equal to Group-2. Consider the configuration, if the electrons are lost from ns and np level, then group oxidation state of +4 is obtained while np electrons are only lost then +2 oxidation state is obtained due to its extra stability of ns electrons which are called inert pair. The effect is the inert pair effect.

Please feel free to post as many doubts on our discussion forum as you can.
 If you find any question Difficult to understand - post it here and we will get you the answer and detailed solution very quickly.
 We are all IITians and here to help you in your IIT JEE  & AIEEE preparation.

All the best.
Askiitians Experts

6 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

Which book to refer for surface chemistry. ncert or any other reference book. this is urgent. With regards. Abhinav ojha
@ abhinav SURface chemistry chap donot have very good weightage in any competetive exams , but for 12 th boards they are quite imp . so, for that frst of all ncert is more than enough for...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
First of all refer to your NCERT textbook and clear your concpets. Then for practise you can best go for Pradeep’s Chemistry for all types of questions and p.bahadur for numericals which...
Shreyas Patil 2 months ago
no of geometrical and optical isomers of the compound [co(NH3)2Cl2(en)]+
This is M(AA)a 2 b 2 type compund.I have 3 G.I out of which two are trans which can’t show optical isomerism (O.I) While cis form show O.I hence occur in d & l pair Thus,3G.I & 2 O.I but...
Pranav Dabhade 6 days ago
calculate the morecular formula of a hydracarbon which contains 85.7percent of carbo and has molecular mass 84 grams
Let the hydrocarbon be CxHy. then given, 12x + y = 84....................(1) and 12x/84 x 100 = 85.7 on solving, x = 5.99 = 6 (approx.) Put x in eqn. (1) we get, y = 12 Hence the...
Vikas TU 26 days ago
the explanation of extraction of gold from cell phones and who invented about this method?
Just 41 mobile phones — that’s all it takes to get 1 gram of gold. While this may seem like a mundane fact to the average reader, the significance is clear for those looking to profit from...
Lakshit one month ago
@ PRAVEENA There are 0.034 grams of gold in each cell phone , according to the U.S. Geological Survey. That's the equivalent of 0.001 troy ounces, worth about $1.82 at today's prices. There ...
Umakant biswal one month ago
The IUPAC name of the compound shown below is...................................
C is the correct option as here double bond is given more preference then the halogens so the double bond is given priority and among chloro and bromo ,according to the alphabetical order...
Amay chugh one month ago
Correct answer is c. so name of this compound is: 3-Bromo-1-Chlorocyclo-hex-1-ene thanks keep posting your doubts
SAHIL one month ago
A good vacuum produced in common laboratory apparatus corresponds to 10^-6mm pressure at 25℃. Calculate no. Of molecules per cc at this pressure and temperature.(Ans:-3.2×10^10)
From PV =nRT 1.3 x 10^-9 * 10^-3 = n * 0.0821 * 300 n = 0.0527 x 10^-12 no. of molecules = n x Na => 0.0527 x 10^-12 x 6.023 x 10^23 = > 0.317 x 10^11 or => 3.17 x 10^10
2017 years ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn