There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

why sulphur catenation property whereas oxygen does not

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

The ability of an element to catenate is primarily based on the bond energy of the element to itself. This ability is also influenced by a range of steric and electronic factors, including the electronegativity of the element.

so as S can form multiple bonds , it shows catenation.

S-S bond is strong enough for sulfur to exhibit catenation properties, but peroxide linkage is very unstable and easily breakable.. hence O-O bond is very weak and hence, catenation is not exhibited in oxygen.

7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

state kohlrausch law of independent migration of ions? write one of its application
This principle is known as Kohlrausch's law of independent migration , which states that in the limit of infinite dilution, Each ionic species makes a contribution to the conductivity of...
Umakant biswal 14 days ago
Exactly half filled and completely filledsubshellsgive stability to the atoms.then which of the following is the correct order of stability? 1. p3 2. P3 3.d5>p3>d10>p6 4.d5p3
Your options are incomplete though. The stability order should be: d10 then p6 then d5 then p3. this is most suitable combination.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
How to check dipole moment procedudure of dipole moment in inorganic chemistry and what method to apply
@ rahul u can calculate the dipole moment of the molecules by the following formula u = q*l where u is the dipole moment q is the magntide of either charges and l is the dipole length HOPE...
Umakant biswal 6 days ago
chapter: chemical equilibrium Chemical equilibrium is achieved when the rates of 2 reactions become equal.Does this mean there are 2 reactions going on? like.for example,in solid-liquid...
yes, when the equilibriumm is achieved, both the foward and backward reactions are going on, here both the concentrations of reactants and products are equal eg: PCl 5 2 + Cl 3 PCl when...
seetaram dantu 17 days ago
@ nishtha yes , you are correct , both have to be run on the same place simoultaneously , only then equilibrium can acheive . and one more thing – one process may be slower and other one...
Umakant biswal 17 days ago
the example was PCl 5 indicates equilibrium)( 2 + Cl 3 PCl sorry for keyboard error thank you
seetaram dantu 17 days ago
I have op tandon for organic chemistry but my teacher says it`s not that good any idea what r must buy for organic? For problems I have himanshu pandey book
@ harsha yes ,o.p tandon is not at all required for organic chemistry , beacuse there are many concept which areabove the level of which jee advanced actually tests . so, for that reason...
Umakant biswal one month ago
frst of all gowith ncert , then solve all ques from himanshu pandey , if u are now at class 11 th then go with morrision and boyd , and if on class 12 th , then go with shortcuts for...
Thx a lot :) , I am like in extended now, kinda forgot most of it so I guess I'll get Morrison and boyd, my teacher said ceng but Nvm no one else suggested that
Kottapalli Sai Harsha one month ago
How can we compare the dipole moment of CCl4 and CH2Cl2
@ apoorv in the case of ccl4 , they have tetrahedral shape and they are symmetric , so, they have dipole moment as 0 . in ch2cl2 the polarity vectors of two H atoms add up to cl atoms but...
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn