Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping
Get instant 20% OFF on Online Material.
coupon code: MOB20 | View Course list

Get extra R 350 off

what is the difference between valency and the oxidation state of an element?

7 years ago

Answers : (1)

Oxidation state and charge are pretty much the same thing, it is a statement on the difference between the number of protons and electrons found in each atom or ion. 

Valency is ALMOST the same thing. Valency is the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom and usually tells how many electrons may interact with other atoms in forming bonds.

Since it is the outer electrons that tend to be removed during oxidation, then valency is a good way of predicting oxidation states. This is not always true, however, but do not focus on the exceptions, focus rather on what these terms mean.
7 years ago

Post Your Answer

Other Related Questions on Inorganic Chemistry

What is electric arc..?? Difference b/w nascent and atomic hydrogen..??
@ simran the nascent and the atomic hydrogen both are actually same , usually hydrogen exist as a diatomic molecule , bonded by covalent bond , hydrogen obtained by disolution of this bond...
Umakant biswal 2 months ago
While welding or solderring the fluid or plasma which gets dicharges when the two elctrodes or metals are higly brought together. The gases b/e them gets ionised and are thus visible.
Vikas TU 2 months ago
please tell thatHow shielding effect varies across periodic table? pls answer quickly.............
@ shivesh what u need to understand is that shielding or screening effect means when the shell between the nucleaus and the valence electrons are increased , in that case nucleaus is not...
Two flasks of equal volume are connected by a narrow tube (of negligible volume ) all at 27 degrees Celsius and contain 0.70 moles H2 at 0.5 atm . One of the flask is then immersed into a...
@ sudarshan i can give u the way to approach these question . its a very good ques actually . initially the total moles are = 70 . and the temp are 27 degree at the two pipes . so, acc to...
Please, explain the answer of the above question,how the basisity affected by Nitrogen & how i can solve these typevof ques, i want to know concept behind these types of ques.
Remember: Basicity is alwas first check by the hybridization of the Nitrogen atom group. Basicity increases in the following order: sp3 > sp2 > sp. Therfore I AND IV options have N atom sp3 ...
Vikas TU 23 days ago
Please explain more if 1 & 4 both are sp3 hybridised then why 4 has more badicity than 1 and how to decide between other two option.
Er Manish Kumar 23 days ago
Please provide me with some mnemonics for organic chemistry so that I can learn some of the difficult reactions easily.
Nishant Vora 3 months ago
@ nilay how can we construct mnemonics for remembering the reaction , i am sorry to say there are no mnemonics avaliable for learning the organic name reaction . what u have to do for that...
Umakant biswal 3 months ago
what is the bond angle of sp 3 ,sp 2 and sp hybridisatio ?
Hi!prasad, The bond angle of sp 3 hybridisation is 109.5 degree. The bond angle of sp 2 hybridisation is 120 degree. The bond angle of sp hybridised is 180 degree. Hope it’s helps you. ALL...
nath 2 months ago
hi prasad the bond length of sp 3 hybridisation [H-C-H] is 109.5degree and sp 2 hybridation length is 120 degree and sp hybridation bond length is 180 degrees. I wish it is help you
jayachandra 2 months ago
View all Questions »

• Complete JEE Main/Advanced Course and Test Series
  • OFFERED PRICE: R 15,000
  • View Details
Get extra R 3,750 off

Get extra R 350 off

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn