ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price:

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

what is the difference between valency and the oxidation state of an element?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Oxidation state and charge are pretty much the same thing, it is a statement on the difference between the number of protons and electrons found in each atom or ion. 

Valency is ALMOST the same thing. Valency is the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom and usually tells how many electrons may interact with other atoms in forming bonds.

Since it is the outer electrons that tend to be removed during oxidation, then valency is a good way of predicting oxidation states. This is not always true, however, but do not focus on the exceptions, focus rather on what these terms mean.
5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
why are s,p,d,f block written is small letter

dear friend its just a method of representing the various orbitals. actually it is the azimuthal quantum number for l=0 we have s orbital l=1 p orbital l=2 d orbital l=3 f orbital and so on...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago
Why is a person with high blood pressure asked to reduce salt!

Humans ingest sodium by eating salt in food and occasionally in medications. Most people will simply excrete excess sodium in the urine, and we also lose sodium and water through...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 7 months ago
why are halogen so reactive?

Atoms of elements consist of a nucleus that contains protons and neutrons. The nucleus is surrounded by electrons that move around in orbits or levels. Atoms of an element react with other...
  img
Raheema Javed 4 months ago

Hi Student The Group 7 elements are also known as the halogens. They include fluorine, chlorine, bromine and iodine, which all have seven electrons in their outer shell i.e They only need...
  img
Anjali Ahuja 4 months ago
In Thomson experiment the electron is deflected downwards when only magnetic fied is applied (This deflection need to be left or right side). Why this happens? . But there is a logic/reason...

motion of achrged particle in presence of magnetic field If a positively charged particle moves with an initial uniform velocity in a direction perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field, B,...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 5 months ago

I can’t understand wich cicle you mean ? & Can you give the writings in the image as written becz I cant able to read from this image . and can you tll me how to post image when Im...

Vineeth 5 months ago
Enthalpy of combustion of H2 to form H20 at 298K is -298KJ/mole. Bond enthalpies of H-H and O=O are 433KJ/mole and 492KJ/mole respectively. Find bond enthalpy of O-H ?

The reaction can be given as: H2....+......(1/2)O2..................................>......H2O.......+......298kJ/mol In this reaction, for combustion of 1 mole of H2, one mole of H-H...
  img
Naveen Kumar 5 months ago

Dear student just replace the sign of the energy released because it is exothermically released. what you will get is also bond energy released in the formation of O-H bond....
  img
Naveen Kumar 5 months ago

answer is not matching , answr given is B

Damini Parihar 5 months ago
one litre of oxygen at NTP is allowed to react with trhree times ofcorbon-monoxide at NTP.calculate the volume of each gas found after the reaction?

½ O 2 + CO.....................> CO 2 1L............3L.........................0L 1L-1L.......3L-2L..................2L 0L.............1L........................2L
  img
Naveen Kumar one month ago

Just apply the Avogadro’s law of equal volume, you will get the answer
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago
View all Questions »