what is the difference between valency and the oxidation state of an element?

4 years ago

Answers : (1)

Oxidation state and charge are pretty much the same thing, it is a statement on the difference between the number of protons and electrons found in each atom or ion. 

Valency is ALMOST the same thing. Valency is the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom and usually tells how many electrons may interact with other atoms in forming bonds.

Since it is the outer electrons that tend to be removed during oxidation, then valency is a good way of predicting oxidation states. This is not always true, however, but do not focus on the exceptions, focus rather on what these terms mean.
4 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
H2O is liquied H2S is gas why?

Why do you think Gandhi considered the Champaran episode to be a turning- point in his life? Ans)1.Gandhi considered the Champaran episode as a turning-point in his life. Champaran didn’t...

S MAHAMAD GOUSE 4 months ago

The Happy Prince Summery? Ans)1.One night a little swallow flew over the city where the Prince’s beautiful statue stood. The swallow’s friends had gone away to Egypt six weeks before, but he...

S MAHAMAD GOUSE 4 months ago

In H2O Molecule Hydrogen bonds or present,small size more electro negativity that why H2O is liquid.In H2S no hydrogen bonds are present that why h2s is gas

SHAKE MAHAMAD GOUSE 7 months ago
A 5.0 cm 3 solution of H 2 O liberates 0.508 g of iodine from an acidified KI solution. Calculate the strength of H 2 O 2 solution in terms of volume strength at STP.

Hello Student, Please find the answer to your question H 2 O 2 + H 2 SO 4 + 2KI → K 2 SO 4 + I 2 +2H 2 O 34 gm Acidified 254 gm 3 KI sol 0.508 gm 5 cm 3 or ml i.e. 254 gm of I 2 is...
  img
Jitender Pal 2 months ago

H 2 O 2 + H 2 SO 4 + 2KI → K 2 SO 4 + I 2 +2H 2 O 34 gm Acidified 254 gm 3 KI sol 0.508 gm 5 cm 3 or ml i.e. 254 gm of I 2 is released by 34 gm H­ 2 O 2 ∴ 0.508 gm of I 2...
  img
Jitender Pal 2 months ago
In sp2 hybridisation how to understand the geometry whether which is trigonal planar and which is bent shaped??

You will get your answer when you draw the structure......if there is sp 2 hybridisation there are two possibilities of structures .......you have to write the electronic...

utkarsh singh 2 days ago

You will get your answer when you draw the structure......if there is sp 2 hybridisation there are two possibilities of structures .......you have to write the electronic...

utkarsh singh 2 days ago

utkarsh singh 2 days ago
Why isn’t e/m ratio of proton constant in anode ray tube experiments?

Anode rays are because of nucleus containing protons and neutrons and different atoms have different ratio of protons to neutrons so e/m ratio differs(since mass is also affected by...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
what is meant by carbogen

Carbogen is a mixture of CO2 and Oxygen gas from 1.5% to 50% CO 2

Akhil Satheesh one month ago
how to convert ethyne to aniline ?

first we should convert ethyne to benzene by passing through organo nickle catalyst at 70c or cu tube at 300c then from benzene we can form aniline.

muaaz one month ago
View all Questions »