what is the difference between valency and the oxidation state of an element?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Oxidation state and charge are pretty much the same thing, it is a statement on the difference between the number of protons and electrons found in each atom or ion. 

Valency is ALMOST the same thing. Valency is the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom and usually tells how many electrons may interact with other atoms in forming bonds.

Since it is the outer electrons that tend to be removed during oxidation, then valency is a good way of predicting oxidation states. This is not always true, however, but do not focus on the exceptions, focus rather on what these terms mean.
5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
is ncert level knowledge enough for doing competetion level inorgang chem. as it only requires learning by heart ( in aipmt or jee mains both have same level )

no my dear friend if you really want to have good command then you should read OPtandon inorganic chemistry along with NCERT.you can also try reading JDLEE but at the last.but optandon+NCERT...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
How do we know that the Wave electromagnetic model of Atom is correct?

proff of wave behabiour of atom we can show the wave-particle duality for photons and electrons with the famous split slit experiment most of us encounter in HS lab. Here we can show the...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago
Why ETHYNE undergoes sp hybridisation? why it cannot be sp 2 or sp 3 hybridisation?

In ethyne molecule there is sp-hybridisation involving one s and one p-orbital in both the carbon atoms.The ground state configuration of C-atom is – 1s 2 ,2s 2 ,2p 2 .In excited state...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
how to study organic chemistry?what i should study for board exams ? please reply me

Hello, Organic chemistry is not that much difficult. Just try to learn it in a sequential way. What you have to do is first learn the nomenclature of organic compounds and then moves towards...
  img
Anjali Ahuja one month ago
For the given EQ. L(gas) ---------> M(gas), K(forward) = 5 * 10^-4 mol/L/Sec K(back) = 3 * 10^-2 L/Mol/sec, then equilibrium concentration of M is

But answer is not K.eq

Arpit Dhankar 2 months ago

Keq=Kf/Kb 1.66 x 10^-2

Karan Yadav 2 months ago
why lead storage battery supllies constant emf.

Batteries convert chemical energy directly to electrical energy. A battery consists of some number of voltaic cells. Each cell consists of two half-cells connected in series by a conductive...
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago

look, let me make it very clear now...the electrode used is not such that it will get finish for only one reaction.... its conc. is maintained as such the electrons which is flowing will be...
  img

see emf is constantly maintaned because there is continuous supply of electrons from the redox reaction going inside the cell. i hope you got it now in simple words......
  img
View all Questions »