ITEM
DETAILS
MRP
DISCOUNT
FINAL PRICE
Total Price: R

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

what is the difference between valency and the oxidation state of an element?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Oxidation state and charge are pretty much the same thing, it is a statement on the difference between the number of protons and electrons found in each atom or ion. 

Valency is ALMOST the same thing. Valency is the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom and usually tells how many electrons may interact with other atoms in forming bonds.

Since it is the outer electrons that tend to be removed during oxidation, then valency is a good way of predicting oxidation states. This is not always true, however, but do not focus on the exceptions, focus rather on what these terms mean.
5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts

Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
trisilyamine formula and properties why it is weakly basic

NSi 3 H 9 is the formula i think after receiving the H plus ions it would have been more unstable

grenade one month ago

can you provide me the real proof

Gman Namg one month ago
best book for inorganic chem

JD LEE for theory problems jaiswal approve if u feel if is useful

Nicho priyatham 21 days ago

jdlee consice inorganic chemistry

grenade 24 days ago

BALAJI PUBLICATIONS and jdlee

grenade 24 days ago
Explain the structure of [Cu(NH)3]2+

oxidation state ia a nuber of electron gained or lost by atom.oxidation state of uncombined element is zero

tanveer ul haq 7 months ago

what is oxidation state

k ashok kumar 7 months ago
NCl3 is endothermic,nf3 is exothermic?

The NN bond energy is huge (-ve) and formation will only be thermodynamically allowed if X-X is low -ve (the F-F bond strength is anomalously small) and the N-X bond energy is high (-ve)....
  img
Harishwar 4 months ago

the reason lies in the difference of size . N-Cl bond is weak and N-F bond is strong. So it is exothermic
  img
Suraj Prasad 4 months ago
∫log(sinx)dx=?

first of al we have to convert the log terms in to the form of ln the we will use substitution let ln(sinx)=t.................1 therefore tanx.dx=dt...............2 from the first equation...

grenade 28 days ago

in my opinion it must be definite integration with proper limits that may be u missed bcoz indefinite integration of this function is not possible in my opinion APPROVE IF USEFUL

ng29 28 days ago

t.dx @ it would be a multiple of 2.303 pl don’t forget and then solve for the final answer

grenade 28 days ago
Molarity of 30 volume H2O2 is. 1- same as its normality 2-half as its normality 3- doble as its normality 4-onefourth as its normality

As we know that Normality = Molarity X n-factor N= M X n-factor For H2O2, n-factor = 2 (No of replaceable hydrogens) N= M X 2 So option (2) is correct....
  img
Ramreddy 8 months ago

thanku sir

Shriya Mehrotra 8 months ago
View all Questions »