what is the difference between valency and the oxidation state of an element?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Oxidation state and charge are pretty much the same thing, it is a statement on the difference between the number of protons and electrons found in each atom or ion. 

Valency is ALMOST the same thing. Valency is the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom and usually tells how many electrons may interact with other atoms in forming bonds.

Since it is the outer electrons that tend to be removed during oxidation, then valency is a good way of predicting oxidation states. This is not always true, however, but do not focus on the exceptions, focus rather on what these terms mean.
5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Cr(NH 3 )(CO 3 ) what is the oxidation no. of Cr?

the oxidation state of the metal atom is the charge that would exist on the atom if the bonding were completly ionic oxidation no. of Cr:- i think you are missing its a carbonate ligand and...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
What is this HOMO-LOMO electron transition?

HOMO represents the highest occupied molecular orbital and LUMO represents lowest unoccupied molecular orbital.Electronic transition occurs when they are close in energy(orbital). HOMO and...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
How should i start s and pblock? i tried making notes of it but there seems nolimit to a topic so how can i know what all is sufficient and what all is useless? i referred to syllabus but...

s and p block elements constitute the representative elements of the periodic table.For the study of these elements use NCERT books which helps you first in finding the various topics to be...
  img
Aarti Gupta 12 days ago
Main article: IUPAC nomenclature of organic chemistry Various names and depictions for one organic compound.

Hello student. I am not able to interpret your questions. If you are asking about that why there are different names for same compound in chemistry the answer is, there are two systems of...
  img
Pankaj 2 months ago
Which has higher resonance energy ch2=ch-f or ch2=ch-br?

ch2=ch-br has high resonance energy because lone pairs on Br involve in resonance easily giving more delocalization and hence more resonance energy. Flourine is more elctronegative thats why...
  img
Ramreddy 5 days ago

the other one has more resonance energy

agam goel 4 days ago
Sir, In figure can you explain the highlighted sentence.

Sorry i forgot to upload figure The content in fig is “The linear combination of atomic orbitals to form molecular orbitals takes place only if the following conditions are satisfied: 1.The...

Vineeth 12 days ago
View all Questions »