what is the difference between valency and the oxidation state of an element?

5 years ago

Answers : (1)

Oxidation state and charge are pretty much the same thing, it is a statement on the difference between the number of protons and electrons found in each atom or ion. 

Valency is ALMOST the same thing. Valency is the number of electrons in the outer shell of an atom and usually tells how many electrons may interact with other atoms in forming bonds.

Since it is the outer electrons that tend to be removed during oxidation, then valency is a good way of predicting oxidation states. This is not always true, however, but do not focus on the exceptions, focus rather on what these terms mean.
5 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
n factor of I ® I+

i depends on reaction... in genral n factor of I+ can be 1

Nikunj Sharma one month ago
Which book should I use for organic, inorganic and physical chemistry ??

Refference books are as follows- 1.Organic chemistry – Morrison and Boyd or O.P.Tandon 2.Inorganic chemistry – NCERT books for XI and XII ,J.D Lee(concise inorganic chemistry)...
  img
Aarti Gupta one month ago
if h2o2 has interamloecular h-bonding then why is it very unstable

The formula for hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, so compared to water (H2O), there is an extra oyxgen atom in the molecule. The oxygen atoms in hydrogen peroxide are not in the most stable state....
  img
Raheema Javed one month ago
what is the difference between amyl and active amyl

img
Harishwar 3 months ago
how to do this ques? please help

Hello Student Plese write the specific question so that we can provide you the corrct answer. Still, if you want to solve any question of chemistry, you must undergo the related chapter and...
  img
Gaurav 25 days ago

sorry it didnt got attached

Kaustubh Nayyar 20 days ago
aniline can be converted into benzene by??

Aniline can be converted into benzene as follows- 1.Treat aniline with nitrous acid which changes NH2 group to N2+Cl to form diazonium salt C6H5NH2 + HNO2 ------------> C6H5N2+Cl 2.Now...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago
View all Questions »