why dichromate ions are used as breath analyzer?????????\

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

When the user exhales into a breath analyzer, any ethanol present in their breath is oxidized to acetic acid at the anode:

CH3CH2OH(g) + H2O(l) → CH3CO2H(l) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-

At the cathode, atmospheric oxygen is reduced:

O2(g) + 4H+(aq) + 4e- → 2H2O(l)

The overall reaction is the oxidation of ethanol to acetic acid and water.

CH3CH2OH(l) + O2(g) → CH3COOH(l) + H2O(l)

The electrical current produced by this reaction is measured by a microprocessor, and displayed as an approximation of overall blood alcohol content

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
why the ester hydrolysis is slow in the beginning and becomes faster after some time?

ans:-a homogenous catalyst is dissolved in a solvent together with the rectants. we used the catalyst sulphuric acid it''s become faster

Maruthi Sirisilla 10 months ago

here the catalyst H2SO4 acts as a promoter so after some time the rate of reaction is increases.

G.Rajashekar 10 months ago
primitive vectors and primitive cell volume for a bcc lattice.

Dear student, A Bravais lattice is defined as an infinite array of discrete points generated by a set of discrete translation vectors given by: Here n i are integers and a i are known as the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 14 days ago
koh is ionic or covalent

ionic

mohit yadav 11 months ago

KOH has one ionic (between K and OH) and one covalent (between O and H) bond. In a straight answer, it is ionic, remember the bond between a metal and a nonmetal is ionic. nonmetal-metal is...

Keerthi Raj 11 months ago
Can you please suggest a good book for physical chemistry level of iit jee ?

yes my dear friend very simple and you can have excellent command over physical chemistry step (1)read ncert ( 2)read optandon simultaneously with ncert chapter (3)solve problem from...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP yesterday
As i am currently studying in 12th i want a perfect book for organic that covers all the topic of jee.. i am confused within two books whether i go for R.K Gupta OR MAESTRO Solomon and...

Solomon and Fryhle is good one beside this O.P.Agarwal,Morrison and Boyd, can also be considered. Thanks & Regards Aarti Gupta askiitians Faculty
  img
Aarti Gupta 2 months ago

it will be better if you go with both the books...... keep r k gupta as a problem solving book and solomon and fryhle as a theory book. As far my knowledge there is no book which is both...

James Macmillan 2 months ago
ether formula

Ether is an organic compound with an oxygen atom connected to two alkyl groups or aryl groups. Ethers are unable form hydrogen bonds with each other and hence their boiling point is low....
  img
Vasantha Kumari 3 months ago

Ether is an organic compound with an oxygen atom connected to two alkyl groups or aryl groups. Ethers are unable form hydrogen bonds with each other and hence their boiling point is low....
  img
Vasantha Kumari 3 months ago

Ethers are the organic compound having formula ROR where R is the alkyl group which may be same or different(R=R or R#R).For ex.CH 3 OCH 3 ,CH 3 OC 2 H 5 ,C 2 H 5 OC 2 H 5 etc. Thanks &...
  img
Aarti Gupta 3 months ago
View all Questions »