why dichromate ions are used as breath analyzer?????????\

2 years ago

Answers : (1)

When the user exhales into a breath analyzer, any ethanol present in their breath is oxidized to acetic acid at the anode:

CH3CH2OH(g) + H2O(l) → CH3CO2H(l) + 4H+(aq) + 4e-

At the cathode, atmospheric oxygen is reduced:

O2(g) + 4H+(aq) + 4e- → 2H2O(l)

The overall reaction is the oxidation of ethanol to acetic acid and water.

CH3CH2OH(l) + O2(g) → CH3COOH(l) + H2O(l)

The electrical current produced by this reaction is measured by a microprocessor, and displayed as an approximation of overall blood alcohol content

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Shortcut formula to find bond order.

Bond order = (No.of bonding electrons-no.ofanti bondingelectrons)/2 Thanks & Regards Ruchi Shaw askIITians faculty
  img
Ruchi Shaw 4 months ago

Thank you.

MAlav Shah 4 months ago
Can we create enjymes efficiently?

Yes we can create enzymes with good efficiency . Enzymes exist in all biological systems in abundant numbers, but not all of their functions are fully understood. Enzymes are important for a...
  img
ruchi yadav 4 months ago

es we can create enzymes with good efficiency . Enzymes exist in all biological systems in abundant numbers, but not all of their functions are fully understood. Enzymes are important for a...
  img
ruchi yadav 4 months ago
in which of these bond length will be highest?? CH3-CF3 FCH2-CH2F F2CH-CHF2 CF3-CF3

NO is most stable it exists in that form - its Lewis structure is a happy camper CN is least stable it wants to pair up with another free radical - most famously HCN answer is CF3-CF3

G vamsinath reddy 8 months ago

a

Hemprasanth K 8 months ago
i need your suggestion.

I am also preparing for JEE and I am getting great help from Arihant''s "A textbook of organic chemistry" by RK Gupta, and also the book by J.Clayden. Besides, you can read OP Tendon''s book...

Snehashis Parashar 11 months ago

If you want guidance in various name reaction like birch reduction, williamson synthesis etc.the best book is Reactions, Rearrangements and Reagents by S. N.Sanyal

Aabel 10 months ago

ms chauan

divya kumari 11 months ago
what is the IUPAC name of the compound NEO PENTANE is------------------------?

2,2-dimethyl propane

kanakaraj 4 months ago

2-2 dimethyle propane

RAGHAVA 2 months ago

2,2-dimethyle propane

haranadhnvk 3 months ago
what is alternate edge and alternate face?

Dear student,I think you mean for the case of an unit cell or a crystal, what is the alternate edge oor alternate face. The alternate edge is the opposite edge to the current one having the...
  img
Sumit Majumdar 16 days ago

Face different to the current face and current edge .
  img
Sher Mohammad 17 days ago
View all Questions »