Arrange the bonds in order of increasing ionic character in the molecules:

LiF, K2O, N2, SO2 and ClF3

2 years ago

Answers : (2)

ClF3 < SO2 < N2 < LiF < K2O

2 years ago

To determine the covalent character of a compound we us FAJANS rule.

The main points are:

1.)The size of anion should be larger

2.)The size of cation must be smaller

3.)The order of charges in both the cation as well as the anion must be larger.

4.)Pseudo configuratons(the one with incomplete octet but complete orbitals eg.Berryllium-it is not having complete octet but its last orbital i.e S is completely filled.)are to be considered as having more covalent character Noble(eg Neon gases.

On the basis of the above theroy you can predict the answers.

2 years ago

Post Your Answer

More Questions On Inorganic Chemistry

Ask Experts

Have any Question? Ask Experts
Post Question

Answer ‘n’ Earn
Attractive Gift
Vouchers
To Win!!!
Click Here for details
Cr(NH 3 )(CO 3 ) what is the oxidation no. of Cr?

the oxidation state of the metal atom is the charge that would exist on the atom if the bonding were completly ionic oxidation no. of Cr:- i think you are missing its a carbonate ligand and...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
pls provide me information on diff types of backbonding eg. ppi-ppi,ppi-dpi,dpi,ppi,,,,,etc

Pπ- Pπ bonding is called back bonding In BF3molecule the 2P orbitals of each F atom are fully filled, while one of 2Porbital of the B atom is vacant. The two 2P orbitals involved in...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 2 months ago
why the oxidizing character of elements increases from left to right across a period & decreases down a group ?

Oxidising power is the tendency of an element to accept electron.The greater is its ability greater will be its oxidising power Down the group the effective nuclear charge decreases whereas...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP one month ago
*Can anybody pls tell me the mechanism for this reaction?? #image * also tell me whether picric acid or mentioned product which will be major??? * u can also mention some source where i may...

Benzene is treated with a mixture of concentrated nitric acid and concentrated sulphuric acid at a temperature not exceeding 50°C. As temperature increases there is a greater chance of...
  img
Suraj Prasad one month ago
what is the differece between ionization potential 1 , ionization potential 2 and ionization potential 3 ??

Ionization potential 1 is the energy reqired to remove the last electron from outer most orbit and IP 2 is energy required to remove the 2 nd elcetron from outer most orbit and IP 3 is...

Sai Pawan 3 months ago
In Back Titration. In second Titration (When we mix impure substance with A) , do we take the same amount of volume of A as we take in the first titration?

in second titration if A is titrated with B then B should be standarised then it should be titrated with A .B should be standarised with C. EX-we have to calculate molarity of HCl acid by...
  img
Sunil Kumar FP 3 months ago

But one of the conditions of back Titrations are B should not react with impure substance (c)

RON 3 months ago
View all Questions »